• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ipractice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

time stamp on my order: 2013-01-14 1:29:13 that would be monday morning/sunday night at 1:30 am. 15 mins after it was posted that the sale had started, in this very thread. oh well.
Yeah and they canceled your order today, four business days later, which was more than enough time for them to sell the product in store and realize that they can no longer fulfill your order, therefore canceling it. Not that uncommon tbh.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
ya **** unionmade

lol @ lmao, you guys complain either way

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's not my place to say, but there are exactly zero sale alerts in the last 3 pages of this thread.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unionmade did that last year. And they'll do it next year.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Agreed, but irl I'd go w/ ny. Sample sales, the boutiques that don't have a web presence, et cetera.

Last edited:

cliffrancho

Reaction score
Sir and Madame - 50% to 75% sale - code: Winter50.

they got a good selection of boots (mark mcnairy & red wing) & bags at 50% off.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Honestly, in terms of negative publicity vs. positive publicity, it's completely worth it to eat a hundred bucks of shipping, especially in the day of the internet. And you can get a package from Italy in under a week, easily, and not even using the most expensive options. Fedex International Economy will easily do it. I am wearing a Barena sweater/jacket I got from Farfetch that I ordered last Tuesday. It got here this Tuesday.

What did you get, and how do you like it? I don't think I'd heard of them until you mentioned them, and some of their stuff looks pretty nice.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What did you get, and how do you like it? I don't think I'd heard of them until you mentioned them, and some of their stuff looks pretty nice.

Re. Barena

I got the Servolo jacket, which is a seriously short jacket - really, more like a cropped mandarin style cardigan than anything else. I also like the Torceo jacket, and the rope toggle shawl collar Burchiello. They always have great knit jackets and cardigans in deep, warm, colors. The stuff is all cut short and slim. If you want a more relaxed fit, you can always easily size up one. I sometimes size up one. If not, as for the Servolo, I balance it out with baggy jeans. Otherwise, you can easily end up looking like a Thom Browne. victim circa 2007. Just don't ever think of the stuff as actually sports jackets. For example, I've never seen the "blazers" actually worn with the collars down. I mean, they don't even have the pretense of a melton. The Servolo, in particular, is best to be thought of more like a modified cadet jacket/cardigan than anything else. On me, at a very normal 5'11", that jacket hits barely under my belt line. Some of the other, 3 button jackets, hit about 1/2 way down my butt - not CM approved.

Of all the different materials, I like their double thinkness wool jersey, which is a staple every FW season, best.

If you are looking for less knits, and more fabrics like pressed and boiled wools, and a more structured look, Harris Wharf London is another alternative, though they have fewer models. They are growing (this is their 6th season), while Barena has been around for literally decades.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is the best advice:

January sales are typically clearance sales. We know that means when something is sold, our opportunity to buy is gone. This inspires a fear of “missing out” that we often don’t consciously notice -- which enhances the power of our emotional reaction. We may not actually know why we’re jumping to purchase that 80% off sweater that you didn’t actually want before it was reduced. This is especially potent in online shopping when you can see merchandise selling out before your eyes and can’t see who else might be considering your prize. In stores you can at least physically hold the item while you consider it’s true value. The solution is to make a list of coveted items and only buy what you’re sure wanted before it went on sale.

This is a list of things I've bought at discount this season. All these were things that, at the beginning of the season, I shelved for things I wanted more.

1) Barena jacket at 30% off - I got it on Tuesday, and have worn it 2x already. I really like the company, and I've been looking for a super short jacket to relive my 90s uniform - short, fitted, jacket or shirt, baggy jeans, kicks. At $625 or so Stateside, it was something I wanted, but not that badly. At $375 for the Navy/midnight that compliments my skin tone and hair really well, it was a no brainer. I got it on Tuesday, and wore it both Wednesday and Thursday.
2) Ralph Lauren naval overshirt - at $350 or whatever, it was way too expensive for me, for what it was. Under $200? I can hack that.
3) Stark in military green - I picked this up for under $180. Not the favorite of my starks, and you have to be careful pairing it with jeans, but for the price, and given that I wear my S.N.S. Herning sweaters so much, not a complaint in the world.
4) Margiela 2 toned belt. Super nice - just that the layers of leather tend to separate, and have needed leather glue a few times already. Still trying to solve that dilemna. Glad that I picked it up for $130. Would have been pissed to have paid a full $270 for it. I am wearing it now.
5) Robert Geller Richard cardigan/jacket at 30% off- great fit, great material. My only beef is that i) It attracts lint, and ii)it pills like crazy. I have been shaving it, but I think that in the long run, I'll just let it pill and use it for that extremely casual, just chilling out, piece. Those are actually hard to come by.
6) Lots of socks and underwear - and no one regrets buying good socks and comfortable underwear.

The only thing that I have left coming is a pair of Norsestore Tricker's, and I've been eyeing them for a while as well. If I could justify it, I might pick up some Kimmel chukkas, but I doubt very much that that's in the cards.

tbh, I think that at least for this season, I am as satisfied, if not more, with my sales items I was with my full priced items. The secret is to only buy those items that you liked anyway.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Farfetch has great sales for all sorts of goods right now. Browse carefully, sometimes one boutique has better prices and/or discounts than another for the same item. Norsestore is also great for any number of things. Go for the stuff you really want guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads