1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Sales Alert thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

[​IMG]

Thought about getting these for my pops, I guess I'll have to figure out his size first

2. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

They'll be gone before you figure it out. Stock is evaporating.

3. Distorbiant

btw Indy Boots run about a half size large from traditional brannock measurements.

1 person likes this.
  4. CelliniEVO

CelliniEVO Senior member

whats the normal duty % on TBS orders?

5. zissou

zissou Senior member

Yeah, J Crew is alright (and the only US stocklist), but they'll not likely go on sale (although, they have the boys shirts on sale right now). Lost & Found in Toronto is good, but again, they put Homespun on sale for something like 2 days out of the year. If you want to buy it on discount, Inventory and Bureau Belfast seem to be the only places (although, Bureau Belfast's sale price is not much less than Canadian retail).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i think he was just trying to tickle your balls. ive never been hit with any fees nor have i heard of anyone who has (im in the US, btw)

7. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

TBS is good peeps, i wouldnt worry about fees

8. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

How is the quality and weight of their jeans? Do they run TTS in the waist? That brand isn't really talked about on the forum and I tried searching but couldn't find anything. TIA

9. srizvi722

srizvi722 Senior member

Re TBS: I'm considering purchasing shoes that's coming out to close to $400. I'm really afraid because I don't want to get hit by import taxes. Will I be ok even with a purchase of that price?? I live in NYC.

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

... if you're that afraid of paying a few extra bucks, you probably shouldn't be buying $400 shoes. JFC, nobody can guarantee anything.

10 people like this.
  11. srizvi722

srizvi722 Senior member

I understand that, but I've never purchased anything form overseas, I'm not sure exactly how much the import taxes/duty fees would be? Would it be just like paying regular taxes in the states? Or would it be some ridiculous amount?

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Seriously dude, try learning the difference between your local state sales/use tax and federal import taxes/customs/duty.

TBS will take off their country's federal VAT (20%).
    If they ship via courier like fedex, ups or dhl, you'll likely be charged for the duty rate for whatever it is you're buying plus a brokerage fee from the courier of from $6 to $30. It varies.
    If they ship via postal, there's a chance exceedingly close to zero you'll be charged any duty. But it can happen.
    There's a small chance you won't get charged anything with fedex, ups, and dhl.

Technically you'll likely owe your state a use tax fee which is equivalent to your sales tax.
    This varies by state.
    The number of people who voluntarily do this is exceeding close to zero.
    This does not vary by state.

Men's leather shoes should be around a duty rate of 8.5%. But other materials/soles can be higher.
    If the shoes were originally made in the USA (or any item actually) the duty rate should be 0%.

Import duty rate is a FEDERAL thing. It doesn't matter which state you live in. It'll all be the same for the entire country.
    Sales tax is a state/county/city thing. That'll vary a lot. As far as I know, customs guys don't talk to local tax guys. YMMV.

Don't buy shit from overseas unless it's something you really want and can't get domestically or unless you know it's a good deal even with potential customs and fees and are willing to pay it.

Don't be one of those dicks who bitches about it here and says "I'm not going to pay it" and then gets surprised if it gets sent to collections.

5 people like this.
  13. stevent

stevent Senior member

Corner drops, have to click on item to see price / view in wish list

Patrik Ervell fisherman for super cheap

4 people like this.
  14. Distorbiant

Just do what I do: Send the package to a nearby apartment complex under a name. I use "Henry Krinkle."

And then, just "happen" to be "leaving" or "coming home" just as the UPS van arrives.

One tip though is to always wear sunglasses and all monochrome black. For most of styleforum, this won't be a problem. It says "You don't bother me, I don't bother you."

I have never had to pay duties or any sorts of shipping taxes.

edit: Also, whenever you sign your name, make it as scribbly as possible. The government handwriting experts can't track scribbles as well as they'd like you to believe.

5 people like this.
  15. srizvi722

srizvi722 Senior member

Honestly, I don't mean to tick anyone off in this thread, but, being a rookie to all these non-US shopping websites, I thought this was a good thread to seek help from. Like I said, I've never purchased anything overseas, and I'm just trying to weigh out my options if I should go through with the purchase or not. I'm not going to be one of those people who "bitches" and say "I'm not going to pay it" because if I were to purchase from overseas and did get hit with customs, I would pay up. I was just curious/trying to learn if you did get hit with customs from TBS and if so, how to know just how much the fee would be. Your information was helpful to me, so thank you for that.

16. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

BRB, going to move near you and change my name to "Henry Krinkle."

1 person likes this.
  17. Regg

Regg Senior member

sheeeeittt. great deal for whoever got one

18. Distorbiant

'This is the sales alert thread. Not the duties/tax thread. We have a thread for that. People need to stop discussing this shit every goddamn couple days.

3 people like this.
  19. einstine

einstine Senior member

TBS marks down packages drastically I have placed around 40+ orders from them over the years and never paid customs.

As for indy sizing you size down 1 full size on trubalance last, fyi the indy TBS sells are E width, one model they sold was even EE width so they will be wide as shit and look and feel extremely goofy if thats not your width or if your skinny you'll have clown feet. I wish they were the normal D then I would have bought them.

20. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You know one of the things about something good like TBS marking values low on the customs form is that maybe it's not a good idea to loudly proclaim it on the interwebz since there is a possibility of them catching crap from CBP and saying "fuck it, we'll just mark things full value", or worse, having our TBS shipments get extra scrutiny from CBP upon entry. Sure, it's probably a remote possibility but why do something that could kill a good thing.

Further, common wisdom and personal experience is to size down 1/2 size from normal US size for tru-balance.
    And do you actually KNOW for sure that TBS has USA E width Indy's? That seem exceedingly unlikely.
    Yes, the page says "Fits like a UK-made shoe and the width is E" but I suspect they means it fits like a UK E width which often means a medium width.
    I can't imagine that their buyer is crazy enough to only order US E width

4 people like this.