Official Sales Alert thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Some restaurants do awesome. But I was just reading something about 50% of restaurants failing within the first year. And a lot of it, ime, has not been due to shitty food or service, but due to inefficiency and miscalculations - you have to dump a bunch of produce, it's money down the drain. You sell out of your special too quickly? Also money down the drain. Too many servers on a slow night? Money down the drain. Not enough servers on a busy night, and the queue is too long, so patrons leave? Money down the drain.

Same with stores. I know small retailers who built out their own space, and didn't take a single day off, for 24 months, or hire any additional help, to just start to make a profit. And these were were guys who had been around the business for a long time, had extensive customer lists, and so on.

2. nepats81

nepats81 Senior member

Actually at this point they have been around for 4 seasons. No point in offering founding member sale especially when many don't buy much anyways...

3. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I assume these guys sold a hell of a lot of alcohol.

4. palma

palma Senior member

I know it is common practice, but perhaps they are basing it just on volume alone. I am more inclined to agree with you, but they were offering 50% off to customers a few seasons ago as founding members just for being the first one to sign up. I know it is an incentive to get the business started, but they could have done it as a one time thing. Beyond, that they are just losing out on profitability. I think appropriate inventory levels are what drive a retail operations profitability. Not, the easiest thing since so many factors come into play from the economic situation, evolving consumer taste (though I don't know if porter gives a shit about this) and competition from B&M and online retailers. If I didn't already state I am thinking 0.50 cents on the retail dollar is industry standard. Selling most of your inventory 70% ( or whatever arbitrary number, of course depends on target profit levels etc.) above this breakeven point would be needed to stay profitable.

Did you check ebay after THE Corner fuck up? There was a surge of RO sneakers at 30% off retail when most folks bought them at 50% off albeit it was corner's mistake. That probably wouldn't work now since it is late in the season and sale are approaching. But, earlier on people could definitely buy it at 50% off and flip at 30 off retail. Honestly, I don't give a shit I would probably buy them at 30% off too that early on or flip them if I got lucky enough to get to them and didn't want them. Just talking about Porter's perspective and them not losing out volume because their customer's end up pocketing by going to alternate means of retail like ebay, forums etc.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

5. palma

palma Senior member

Like WAL-MART? Its a fine balance between margin and inventory sold my man.

6. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

Miscalculations will bankrupt any starting business, specially when you have no penny to spare. As far as restaurants go I would say that shitty food is one of if not the biggest factor, we all have a list of restaurants that we find food/service to be good enough to keep going. Most change over time as they receive feedback but if you scare away enough customers you wont be in business long enough to make those changes.

off topic it puzzles me when i see a restaurant that has been around forever, always full and the food and service is mediocre at best.

I would say beverages in general, as they are always terribly overpriced.

Anyway serie negra has a private sale use code 20serie and 30serie.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

7. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

Final reminder: our buy one get one 50% off sale at Sydney's ends tonight! Use coupon code bogo50. The sale excludes denim and sale items.

8. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

what is serie negra?

9. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

lol! serie noire

10. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

that makes sense. I googled serie negra and was all why the F do I want 20-30% off spanish crime ficition novels.

11. jeannoob

jeannoob Senior member

^HAHA i actually laughed out loud

12. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Porque los libros tampoco se deberían comprar al precio de venta al público (aka, you shouldn´t pay retail for books either)

13. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

¿Dónde Está la Biblioteca, Pedro?

14. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

yo im dying right now

15. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member