• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3dials

Reaction score
Yes, given a choice I would rather have lower prices and minimal packaging. However, the one thing I did order was a casual Monitaly/Slowear ramie blazer so it was nice to have the suit bag. I'm using it for its intended purpose now.

Gavin

Reaction score
We can't really advertise it on the site, but we have a couple of extras of this m.a+ bag that we can discount to $999. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll give you a coupon code to use at checkout.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm gonna be the voice of dissent here and say that I don't like the packaging. It's a huge waste of resources, and what does it matter how it's packaged as long as it gets there in one piece?

The experience of buying and receiving something, in my opinion, is almost as important as the product itself. I find the internet's singular focus on products and prices somewhat disappointing. Though Mr. Porter's packaging doesn't add a great deal, I like it better than the standard of wrapping my item in a cheap plastic bag, dumping it in a cheap cardboard box, and slapping a UPS label on it.

Not that online experiences can't be as good as B&M, but with regards to the discussion in another thread comparing the two, I find B&Ms often hold the advantage in that they provide an experience, not just products at cheap prices. At least a large online operation such as Mr. Porter is providing relatively good online editorial content, reasonably decent (albeit somewhat impersonal) customer service, and nice personalized packaging. It makes the experience of purchasing and receiving an item considerably more pleasurable than, say, the price-focused discount house Yoox.

Last edited:

Alphataru

Reaction score
I'm gonna be the voice of dissent here and say that I don't like the packaging. It's a huge waste of resources, and what does it matter how it's packaged as long as it gets there in one piece?

If Porter charges an incredible premium over other shops, I'd understand, but all else being equal, why wouldn't you want better packaging?

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If Porter charges an incredible premium over other shops, I'd understand, but all else being equal, why wouldn't you want better packaging?

Because its wasteful for the sake of it. I like it too but dislike the idea of wasting w/o reason.

Anyway Asos extra 10% : sale10

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I couldn't give two ***** about the excessive packaging I only care about the contents.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because its wasteful for the sake of it. I like it too but dislike the idea of wasting w/o reason.
Anyway Asos extra 10% : sale10

yes... total f'g waste... who gives a **** about the packaging? They're not delivering me a *******... it's a pair of shoes.

Alphataru

Reaction score
yes... total f'g waste... who gives a **** about the packaging? They're not delivering me a *******... it's a pair of shoes.

I don't care about packaging too, but bitching about things getting TOO WELL packaged seem like you guys are over privileged pricks to me.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like MrPorters packaging, I prefer it to be packaged that way than just half-assing it. I've ordered shoes plenty of times from Eastbay where they literally just put the shoebox inside a shipping plastic bag and sent it out. Once the package got to me the box is beat to death and one time. One time the plastic ripped and water got inside when they delivered it during the rain and the shoebox was soaked.

Derek92

Reaction score
For those of us who haven't ordered from Porter, what's so special about the packaging?

Also, any codes for The Corner?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never know what I am supposed to do with that ridiculously heavy, unused MR PORTER shopping bag that they include in every package. I'm starting to carry tools around in one of them, since it seems strong enough.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clearly not a founding member.

haha... touche! :bigstar:

I never know what I am supposed to do with that ridiculously heavy, unused MR PORTER shopping bag that they include in every package. I'm starting to carry tools around in one of them, since it seems strong enough.

ya.. I'm sure that's exactly what they intended they be used for.

I2adical

Reaction score
There's a sale at Topman atm on socks, underwear, shirts, and a couple of trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads