1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Sales Alert thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. thomaspaine

thomaspaine Senior member

Designing and maintaining a website, syncing physical inventory with online inventory, processing online shipping and returns are all non-trivial tasks. Many brands don't want you to sell their stuff online either.

Taking decent photos of your inventory is a lot of work and money too, especially if you're hiring models and using a professional photographer.

5 people like this.
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Online retail is not for everyone. That said, it's the fastest growing retail outlet, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to compete without having a strong online presence. And the strongest retailers also have strong online sales. In a globalizing world (I can order a pair of sneakers from the EU, and receive them in under a week); and if someone is taking a sale out of your backyard, and you are not taking a sale out of someone else's backyard, clearly you are going to be at a competitive disadvantage.

At very least, most stores find a regularly update blog to be useful.

About 2003 through about 2005, I used to travel all over the place publicizing Styleforum and telling them to start blog, start a store, come chat with folks on Styleforum. Many did, and many others did not. The most common explanation I heard was "It's just not our thing." Well, a lot of those stores now have webstores and web presences, including several stores whose proprietors more or less told me that I was full of shit and that online shopping could never work, for any number of reasons. Turns out, those problems could be easily solved with policy changes and a small investment of resources. The world changes at a rapid pace, and it's easy to become obsolete and irrelevant if you do not keep yourself sharp and hungry.

7 people like this.
  3. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Nowadays you can probably go tell those same proprietors to eat shit or eat some chunky affiliate fees if they want to participate. Serves them right the folk who are too blind to see what's happening around the world.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  4. jet

jet Senior member

lol @ hiring models and photographers

5. Redcarpet99

Redcarpet99 Member

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This. People are primarily interested in product, and if you have a decent DSLR and a couple of lessons and experimentation, you can do a good enough job for a blog, or even a rudimentary webstore. I personally think that fit models generally detract from the product, with very few exceptions - Maas&Stacks and LN-CC do a good job, and really Maas&Stacks does a more reasonable jobe because their model is not 6'5" with a 35" chest, which is very atypical.

A lot of people make things much more complicated than they are, assuming that customers require a bunch of stuff that they don't care all too much about, and so set the barrier to productive activity so high that it's impossible for them to actually get started, which is the most important thing. Look at the evolution of the Four Horsemen and Epaulet stores. It's one step at a time. And with inexpensive and out of the box solutions like BigCommerce and Shopify, it takes nearly nothing to get started. (And your site will probably look better than Barney's, which is tragic.)

3 people like this.
  7. Naka

Naka Senior member

Farfetch up to 40% off.

8. fischyyy

fischyyy Well-Known Member

No Sale for EU :censored:

The US has time to buy all the good stuff and we have to wait for leftovers. I just hate farfetch. At least Mr Porter has two different stocks for US and UK Farfetch uses the SAME boutiques. :fu:

http://www.stylebop.com/

Presale is on up to 50%

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. stafa

stafa Senior member

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but ok. I have a retail store and an e-commerce store as a supplement and it is not that hard.

With companies like Shopify, BigCommerce, and a host of others, you can use their design templates, or pay to get custom design work done. You don't have to do these things yourself. There's nothing special or really difficult about managing retail and internet inventory. Processing orders can be done by employees in your business, or if the volume dictates so, by hiring even more employees. And decent enough photos can be created by making your own cheap light tent along with a good enough point-and-shoot camera.

You simply have no vision or business sense if you can't see what having an online store could do for your sales. In many cases, businesses can start and operate one without much additional overhead since their current infrastructure can support it in the beginning.

1 person likes this.
  10. Hype1234

Hype1234 Senior member

haha i would hope you're not the guy flipping this stuff on ebay at roughly a 100% price increase.

11. Regg

Regg Senior member

haha, good catch. of course he is, why else would he post

12. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

13. amathew

amathew Senior member

Anyone know if Allotment (UK) usually has a mid-season sale? Eyeing a Silent shirt on there and waiting..................................................................................... *sigh* any time now

EDIT: Emailed them and they don't have a mid-season sale and Silent items are rarely put on sale.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Also looks like Yoox has once again differentiated between SS and FW when you search.

15. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Apparently more drops on yoox but only to ss stuff half off or something.

oki ni has a 30% pre sale code for American customers (Canada too) Enter SUMMER30. From ss items only

Thanks

2 people like this.
  16. 89andy

89andy Senior member

[​IMG]

copped this apc bomber from mr porters sale.

Really good quality and everything and I really want to love it, but the cut is really short. Just wondering what I could wear with it since any tshirts sticks out a lot togethor with the ribbing pulling makes it look ugly. Any ideas?

1 person likes this.
  17. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

18. hobojones

hobojones Senior member

Never thought I'd ever hear that in the same sentence/thought as APC...

1 person likes this.
  19. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Why? Everything I've handled from APC has been nice.

20. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Apc is great mid level ish. copped the last of those navy bombers from porter sale. hope it's not too cropped. can't have that.