Official Sales Alert thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I completely agree but, for the sake of discussion, let's not overlook that there are a number of people who do just that here and are often praised for it. Brand synergy, etc... Socal would very often dress one designer head-to-toe, kunk would go all RO regularly, a couple of guys go all YY on a regular basis, not to mention the Epaulet fanboys out there. May look good (sometimes great) but doesn't particularly show much imagination to buy runway looks as a kit or simply to buy into a single designer-defined (or shop owner defined) point of view wholesale.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

2. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

Just a last minute reminder about this. Our email is on its way out now, so if you want to grab something before it does...now's your chance!

3. althanis

althanis Senior member

I see what you're saying to a certain extent. However, certain people have a loyalty to a single store and the type of style they maintain, and I don't really think that's so weird. I love Gitman shirts for example, and could easily see my entire wardrobe of casual shirts being from them, because they also have lots of designs, which I'm sure J.Crew does also. But yeah, I wouldn't buy every single thing Gitman makes.

With respect to prices, I think J. Crew is expensive too, but lots of their stuff make it to sale, even the extra 30% sale, because of high initial prices. So they're not necessarily spending a fortune.

But I appreciate your opinion. It doesn't come across as snotty as the other guy.

4. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

It's because dressing like "cool J Crew guy #427,322" kinda makes you look like a douche.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

5. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

You should just find what fits your vibe..

6. Regg

Regg Senior member

What's more douchey, the Jcrew guys or the guys who look like they stepped right off the runway? Close call

7. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

That sounds a lot better than what most dudes dress like around here.

8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

wearing a head-to-toe runway look is more douchey, in my opinion. all jcrew is boring, but nothing is worse than those super serious looking guys who are obviously really impressed with themselves. :facepalm:

I don't think the Yohji fans (at least on here) fit into that category though. It's all stuff from one designer, but a lot of their stuff is generally from seasons that are several years apart and has been accumulated over a long period. they can still find interesting ways of putting things together, and even though guys like ivwri and asobu are both in all yohji, you can see that they both still have individual styles.

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I think it has a lot do with people who want to be told what to wear. They hear that J Crew is trendy, and so they take the advice given to them. I look at J Crew as the new Banana Republic - if you lived in California in the aughts - especially in San Francisco - you would see every young professional dressed head to toe in BR office wear (usually black). To me, it seems a sign of people who don't know much about clothing and have not developed their own style, and so are happy to take the safe route at the go-to store of the moment.

Not everyone knows (or thinks they know) as much about style as people on this forum. And even if they do, of course people disagree.

I didn't find the original post on this topic offensive at all. Of course we notice people wearing what we consider to be ridiculous outfits. Of course we make fun of them. He didn't call that person out by name or post a picture or anything. Just used it as an example of this way of thinking.

And having said all that, J Crew has been hugely successful at spoonfeeding clothing tips to the masses - a lot of which I think is ridiculous (their suiting advice, for example). But I also own a few J Crew items, too.

10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Not that I ever wear all-one-line (maybe sometimes EG), but I think it's OK to do so. When a designer/line has a concept and access to a ton of fabrics and fabrication resources, why do I think I'm inherently "better" at putting things together to dress myself?

Sort of trolling but not really

11. Regg

Regg Senior member

Good points. I think it's better to be uninterested or oblivious and wearing all Jcrew than to be "educated" and into fashion while looking like a complete moron while trying really hard

12. jdimitri

jdimitri Member

You been to Tokyo? A lot of folks dress up in Uniqlo or at least Uniqlo-esque stuff.
    I really like it, people are "well dressed" by anyone's standard.

Don't be a snob, they clearly like it!

13. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

It's because Uniqlo > J.Crew

14. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Yeah reading this again mostly trolling. But I'm saying, if I trust a designer/clothing line and I like their coherent vision, I don't think it's cheap to subscribe to it totally, although it feels sort of easy.

Sales alert: Tres Bien s/s sale starts July 3 at 7am CET (1am EST). 10pm July 2 pacific? I dunno.

15. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

anything worth buying?