Official Sales Alert thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

1. amathew

amathew Senior member

There was a user by that name who argued earlier in this thread that people shouldn't obsess over sales. If I remember
    right, he was proposing that sales were "bad" and people should pay full price. I don't quite remember why he argued
    that. If anything, it was just a good laugh and no one really took it seriously, or so I thought.

2. emilo

emilo Senior member

His point was (afair) that if you don't want it at retail, you probably don't need it at discount. Which I, despite of my shopolism kind of agree with.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Why would you agree with that point. It essentially states that there is no such thing as elasticity of demand for clothing, which is BS. There are plenty of stuff in the world that I want but cannot afford, therefore I do not buy. If the market is offering me a lower price for these things that I want, then I may change my purchasing decision from no to yes.

I can guarantee you that if someone offers me a Mercedes 300SL for $30k, I will buy it.

Purchasing decisions are based on the product and the price, not the product alone.

Also, whatever was being a complete dick about it, constantly harassing and mocking people asking for sales and codes - in a sales thread of all places. Which was the main issue with him, not the inane thoughts he was trying to convey in such an abrasive manner.

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

+ 1 million

5. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

Which is the most inane point to make on a website dedicated to consumerism in a thread dedicated to sales. No one needs anything more than shelter, food and safety. Beyond that, one could argue, everything is excessive.

Anyway, to keep this on track, Yoox added a ton of new stuff to the fall/winter section yesterday. Some good deals even if using the 20pct off coupon without further markdown (see what I did there?).

6. emilo

emilo Senior member

I only kind of agree with it. Of course, lower prices will enable you to purchase more. There is no point in debating that. What I'm thinking of is the people who'd rather wait till december with buying an item they want now, if they can get it at 30% discount 6 months on.

Of course. If you can get a discount, you'd want that. Everyone would. It does, however, seem likle there are people who'd wait out indefinietly for a discount that might turn up, instead of just getting the item to enjoy now.

Again, I'm a sucker for discounts myself.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

7. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Well, doesn't sales seasons theoretically hurt the market like deflation? It's when people are waiting for prices to drop, because of the sales seasons and coupons instead of buying it. The demands of products will drop and sellers won't sell the products and people that produce or sell these products will not receive income. Everyone knows that if a price will drop later in the future, you will wait for the drop and not buy it when the price is at retail.

8. blake3030

blake3030 Senior member

and most shops are smart enough to take this into account in their pricing, no?

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Senior member

Just got an email to say Mr Porter international sale starts on Monday. It doesn't appear to be Founding Member specific.

10. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

30% off, yea. But most of the stuff I won't touch until it's 70% off + because the prices are stupid, so I'm usually paying nearly four times the price if I buy at retail. Few things are worth that to me.

Maybe if I had more stuff but I'm still in that phase where I feel like I have some pretty big holes in my wardrobe.

11. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Clothing item will go on sale eventually. if u waiting price to drop, you are taking the risk that you are not able to get it due to limited quantity. There are items sold out at retail too.

However i disagree with demand of the product will drop. Should the price change cause the demand change because most people are price sensitive (unless you have $$$$).In terms of clothing stuff, the retailers (Barneys, Bergdorf) still make a good profit even product at 70-80% off because the cost they get these goods in is very very low. In addition selling clothing never been the biggest business in the market. Selling accessory and shoes is how they make their most money.

12. amathew

amathew Senior member

The last ten posts provide proof for why we need to separate the sales thread in two, one for sales/codes, and another for discussion.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

13. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Cultizm just started their summer sale. I don't hear the store mentioned that often (maybe because they're more known for LVC, Edwin, Dunderdon, &c.), but they have a bunch of Folk, Cabourn, and some of those Buttero sneakers people seem to be into as of late.

They deduct VAT if you're outside the EU, and shipping charges are reasonable. I can't speak to customs fees because I've never bought anything particularly expensive from them.

14. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Crossfit

Some more drops at P&B, good deals on the Yuketens

15. AlexInExile

AlexInExile Senior member

Wrong Weather is up to 40% off.