• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you order from overseas, you're always taking a gamble.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I was browsing some UK sites recently and I remember one of them saying something about import duties.  I don't think it was End either.  Hope I don't get the same when my Universal Works coat comes this week.  That's coming via Royal Airmail though, so maybe I won't have to pay it.

One of the sites I was looking at did deduct the 20%, but it was tough to see.  When you changed the currency to USD the value was 20% less than it was in British pounds.  I used a currency converter to check it.

Remember that removing VAT doesn't result in a price that's 20% less than the British price.
Divide the British price by 1.2 to get the price without VAT.

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Just a heads up from the previous discussion from a couple days ago... I picked up my fed ex package from END... Not a word about customs.

Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember that removing VAT doesn't result in a price that's 20% less than the British price.
Divide the British price by 1.2 to get the price without VAT.

Correct. The site where it reduced the price when you converted to USD did so by exactly 20%. Most of the sites I've seen (including the one I used the other night) simply used pounds as the currency and dropped the price by 20%. I'm sure it varies from site to site.

I have to say, plenty of shops over there to choose from.

xander_horst

Reaction score
Steven Alan currently has an online sample sale. Not just Steven Alan stuff on sale either, some Engineered Garments, Wings + Horns, Grei scarves, Howlin' by Morrison, etc. Some of this stuff was on sale there already, but I think there's been some price drops as well.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up from the previous discussion from a couple days ago... I picked up my fed ex package from END... Not a word about customs.[/quot]
the bill comes in the mail a couple weeks later just you wait.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
TBS shipped my order with fedex. I thought I was safe with them :(

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quite the opposite, fedex is the worst offender of them all.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I meant TBS, not fedex.

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Don't worry about TBS, I've been ordering from them for years and have NEVER been hit with customs while they have been using FedEx.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score

Steven Alan currently has an online sample sale. Not just Steven Alan stuff on sale either, some Engineered Garments, Wings + Horns, Grei scarves, Howlin' by Morrison, etc. Some of this stuff was on sale there already, but I think there's been some price drops as well.

Somebody buy the polka dot Andover jacket!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads