• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sad to see them go like that. I think that the influx of tech money and casualwear over the recent years was diametrically opposed to their wheelhouse (Americana with Japanese eclecticism). While there are pockets of folks with unique tastes, I'm afraid their recent buys + collabs were a reflection of their trying to cater to what locals wanted. They offered me an opportunity to work full-time there last year, crazy to think their closing up happened so quickly after.
Every time I was in there over the past half decade, it was mostly filled with TechBros (tm) who were clearly new to fashion looking for jeans and pretty basic shirts. I assume that outfits like Taylor Stitch were able to fill that niche at a much more palatable price level for most guys.

dadave

Reaction score
Sad to see another one go in SF if true. I was bummed Acrimony SF closed. Eventually Steven Alan and Gant left SF. There's maybe one store i'd really shop at in SF but I've been having to make a trip to LA to do massive retail shopping once in a while.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Controversial opinion, but imho 60-70% of their buys were not good due to trying to appease multiple crowds, and picking up oddball indy brands that don't sell. They tried at least, and brought in more indy brands than most popular e-commerce sites but that likely could have contributed to their demise. On top of their mostly mediocre buys, poor pricing structure (higher msrp than competing sites, little to no sales cycles), not great web presence, and general trajectory of brick-and-mortar retail- this is not a surprise at all to me.

Tech bros or not, brick and mortar retail is mostly awkward, and will likely always be unless innovation happens in the space. While it's nice to try stuff on in person, brick and mortar as we know it is dead. The lower performers are the first to go, but I anticipate a huge reduction of retailers in the next 16 months.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Controversial opinion, but imho 60-70% of their buys were not good due to trying to appease multiple crowds, and picking up oddball indy brands that don't sell. They tried at least, and brought in more indy brands than most popular e-commerce sites but that likely could have contributed to their demise. On top of their mostly mediocre buys, poor pricing structure (higher msrp than competing sites, little to no sales cycles), not great web presence, and general trajectory of brick-and-mortar retail- this is not a surprise at all to me.

Tech bros or not, brick and mortar retail is mostly awkward, and will likely always be unless innovation happens in the space. While it's nice to try stuff on in person, brick and mortar as we know it is dead. The lower performers are the first to go, but I anticipate a huge reduction of retailers in the next 16 months.

Agreed with all of this. I'm more game than the average guy for some oddball stuff, but the oddballs that UM carried just weren't good. There are other retailers like SSENSE who carry unusual stuff that's much more on trend and worth looking at. Plus I totally agree with you about brick and mortar and a big reckoning coming. In some ways it almost doesn't make as much sense to have a physical location. I'd be curious to do a real apples to apples of the costs of shipping so customers can try stuff on versus the cost of a brick and mortar location. My guess is that for many retailers, an online-only presence would come out ahead finance-wise.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They had some random customer(s) who bought out their limited Kapital stuff at full price every time. I'm still waiting to see it in the wild in SF.

whatsthis

Reaction score
Unionmade's physical SF location was a mess. It was crammed with stuff in no sense of order or direction. I could never really find anything anytime I went in there (website also sucked).

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sad to see another one go in SF if true. I was bummed Acrimony SF closed. Eventually Steven Alan and Gant left SF. There's maybe one store i'd really shop at in SF but I've been having to make a trip to LA to do massive retail shopping once in a while.

M.A.C.

Austinjhutch

Reaction score
Just chiming in on UM; stumbled on to them slashing Alden prices Sunday AM and immediately picked up a pair of color 8 lw bluchers at 30% off, which even at that discount was super surprising since Aldens were obviously always excluded from site-wide discounts. Came over here Monday AM, saw a few posts alluding to their insolvency and sure enough somehow they'd advanced in one day to 50% off everything and store was basically cleaned out. Sad sight, definitely bought some of my "firsts" there over the last 10ish years, and yeah when it was still a relevant shop they always had a solid potpourri of assorted brands and were usually good for a few nice pickups here and there. Besides that unavoidable shipping fee, which they maintained until the very end, they'd cut some good deals for sure. But man their $10 shipping had to be the slowest of any paid domestic shipping, like for a while there in 2010-2012 you could get your order twice as fast from European merchants like tres bien while waiting 7-8 days for a few sweaters from UM. Anyway, totally thought they were gonna bail on those aldens I bought on Sunday, but they did end up filling the order and shoes will get to Brooklyn sometime next week. Man, such a funny feeling when you're browsing like 4-5 different shell aldens on clearance and in stock in sz 11s and 12s and its like youre in that raymond carver short story about the sad man having a yard sale.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the retailpocalypse in SF continues. It hit home the hardest when the Ralph Lauren shop downtown closed. That was the place to peruse RRL and purple label goods in person.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It hit home the hardest when the Ralph Lauren shop downtown closed. That was the place to peruse RRL and purple label goods in person.

I wonder if interest in those brands is declining. Going by eBay completed auctions, RRL and Purple Label are fetching way less than they used to compared to a few years ago.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back when they had decent stuff, I couldn’t get UM to ship to my location. And gradually the buys became really off. Not weird or unwearable but just plain Low risk clones which doesn’t spark any interest whatsoever. The website was horrible imho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads