• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upflup

Reaction score
How so? It could just be that they're getting a huge shipment of new FW19 stuff and need to clear out some stock.

They've never run sales in this capacity before. In the past, they would generally run a season end sale at maybe 40%, twice a year, and have it last for maybe a week or so. They've been in constant sales for awhile now. Add this to the fact that they ran an "invest in Unionmade" campaign last year and it seems like they've been hurting and are finally liquidating stock to close up shop.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More telling to me is that, unless these don't work the way they used to, they're likely violating MAP for a wide variety of their products, which I only see when a store is about to close. This one reminds me of Carson Street and Gentry's end sales, though hopefully it's better-managed than the latter.

LaymanX

Reaction score
There's barely anything left on the UM site. I think this is it.

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
50% off Alden isn't too common, even for the ugly stock they carry.

I was curious so I went back and looked at their investment pitch. It looks like they didn't reach their funding goal, so hopefully everyone got their money back. I found this interesting:
Unionmade has financial statements ending December 31 2017. Our cash in hand is $58,000, as of September 2018. Over the three months prior, revenues averaged $430,493/month, cost of goods sold has averaged $292,966/month, and operational expenses have averaged $201,200/month.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Yeah man, they cleared out quick. If they're shutting down, that's really quite sad.

Dunno. Their purchasing choices were getting increasingly odd/poor. I'm not sure what happened but there was no coherence, no point of view, the stuff they chose wasn't really on trend or timeless either. It was just...not good. I used to find stuff I liked there and the last few years their buyers just made terrible choices.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno. Their purchasing choices were getting increasingly odd/poor. I'm not sure what happened but there was no coherence, no point of view, the stuff they chose wasn't really on trend or timeless either. It was just...not good. I used to find stuff I liked there and the last few years their buyers just made terrible choices.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I haven't really shopped there too much over the course of the last year and a half or so, with the exception of the 18 East drop. I used to check in with them fairly often but kind of lost interest. I did snag a pair of Alden All Weather Walkers this morning; 50% off is pretty crazy.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sad, a lot of small businesses both brands and stores are struggling.
I would hate to see a store like that go,

jules spools

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of shorts on sale from UM (the regular sale, before the everything-must-go 50% sale) and got an email notification that it shipped. A week later, no package, so I checked in on the shipment. UPS tracking reports that a shipping label was created at the same time I got that email notification from UM and then voided/cancelled 2 minutes later. Weird. I hope that others who are ordering actually get their stuff.

Now to (possibly) file a dispute with my credit card company...

KamoteJoe

Farmer Diva
Reaction score
It's sad to see them go like that. I think that the influx of tech money and casualwear over the recent years was diametrically opposed to their wheelhouse (Americana with Japanese eclecticism). While there are pockets of folks with unique tastes, I'm afraid their recent buys + collabs were a reflection of their trying to cater to what locals wanted. They offered me an opportunity to work full-time there last year, crazy to think their closing up happened so quickly after.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads