• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curious_George

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dbear
But they are designing... ...all designers can't go edgy and fashion-forward...or they would be ignoring a large market.
Slimming down a standard chino isn't really design imo (not in any innovative or creative sense). I think she's right, there are too many brands basically offering the $200+ version of J.crew.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
Slimming down a standard chino isn't really design imo. I think she's right, there are too many brands basically offering the $200+ version of J.crew.

exactly george!

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jim says: April 8, 2011 at 5:45 pm

....Then there's the nerve of Blackbird's proprietor calling anything overpriced when you can get most of the stuff on their site everywhere else for 20% cheaper.

Good luck with those suede backpacks in Seattle, though.
lol8[1].gif

Granted, they carry some stuff you cannot easily find in the US -- but for RVCA, Obey, W+H, Gant Rugger, things the like, etc? LOL @ selling for over MSRP on your webshop. But if it works..good business model!

The online portion of Blackbird is extremely successful. How do you account for this?Fashion people are not loyal and are extremely affected. Our whole team online really connects with a person. We communicate with them, find out things like where they live, what they're reading, interests like this, and are able to build an online community.
lol8[1].gif
O rly? What a load of **** right there. I haven't placed an order with BB since *********** up a simple order of mine (sent me the complete wrong size of pants) and I interfaced (poorly) with some backroom nasally little Nicole Miller minion. And he certainly did not ask me what I was reading...
rolleyes.gif
. IN fact, he really couldn't tell me **** except "sorry for about all of this, brooo....I gotta see what happened..".

NMiller does sound like a jerk....but if people keep buying the **** she sells at prices above her competition-- more power to her.

The little personal vendetta between her and NYC is a little strange too. To speak about it with such hateful words.....lul.

well, anywho - i'm headed on down to the field house to have my sickle sharpened and pick up a julius tank.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've always found BB's customer service to be helpful and concise. They've promptly answered numerous sizing questions for me. No questions about books or anything, though. I'm not sure how an employee would have segue way into something like that without it seeming incredibly forced.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just checked out the interview and I think she says a lot of dumb ****. Blackbird buys for James Bond's evil twin, huh? Apparently James Bond's evil twin needs a nice stole (this model looks incredibly awkward, by the way): http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Juli...avy_18722.html

And screw those boring ass chinos: http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Gant...ory_19426.html

I think if you look at the whole landscape in any field of design or art, most of the stuff isn't revolutionary. And there's a quote that gets floated around a lot about menswear, that it's evolutionary, not revolutionary. I think that's pretty true. The building blocks of modern menswear are mostly set: pants, shirts, jackets, knits of different kinds. The changes that happen are tweaks in the silhouette and details, that sort of thing. Nobody out there is fundamentally redesigning pants (at least not successfully). I think Miller is just talking about evolutionary tweaks she likes versus those she doesn't. She talks about Paris being so innovative. Maybe she's referring to things like Dries adding fur to the lapels (http://www.gq.com/fashion-shows/brief/F2011MEN-DVNMEN). That just strikes me as an evolutionary tweak. Same goes for all the Rick Owens and KVA stuff. Some brands tweak in the direction of Opening Ceremony (anything revolutionary about Patrik Ervell's formal trousers?) and some tweak toward Blackbird's aesthetic. I think it's really just preference.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfurey
Exactly. Fit aside, a chino is still a chino.

Isn't a trouser just a trouser and a shirt just a shirt or leather jacket just a leather jacket then? Sure there are plenty of similar items out there, but to me fit, details, materials, etc. are what set them apart.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Isn't a trouser just a trouser and a shirt just a shirt or leather jacket just a leather jacket then? Sure there are plenty of similar items out there, but to me fit, details, materials, etc. are what set them apart.
i think thats the point ... i see nothing wrong with a new take on "basics." perhaps im in the minority?

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a new take on basics is great. I'm with you there. I disagree with the way she categorizes it. I think she's basically saying the stuff she likes is great design and the stuff she doesn't like is totally not innovative. I don't think either is profoundly innovative. I personally don't need it to be. A "new take" is really about small changes, and those small changes make the difference, including the small changes that create the "well-fitting chino" she rips on.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
I think a new take on basics is great. I'm with you there. I disagree with the way she categorizes it. I think she's basically saying the stuff she likes is great design and the stuff she doesn't like is totally not innovative. I don't think either is profoundly innovative. I personally don't need it to be. A "new take" is really about small changes, and those small changes make the difference, including the small changes that create the "well-fitting chino" she rips on.
i honestly dont think a different or better fit goes as far as some might think, after all, you can find a nice fitting chino anywhere ... but i understand what YoU Are saying.

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck

Completely agree, that ***** wants everything to be new-age, anti-basics or it's boring.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
totally.

dude, who are you kidding ... please do tell how your buying is somehow more dignified then someone else (if you still buy).

personally, i found her comments to be very honest, which is nice these days.

your an idiot

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads