• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno. Their purchasing choices were getting increasingly odd/poor. I'm not sure what happened but there was no coherence, no point of view, the stuff they chose wasn't really on trend or timeless either. It was just...not good. I used to find stuff I liked there and the last few years their buyers just made terrible choices.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I haven't really shopped there too much over the course of the last year and a half or so, with the exception of the 18 East drop. I used to check in with them fairly often but kind of lost interest. I did snag a pair of Alden All Weather Walkers this morning; 50% off is pretty crazy.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sad, a lot of small businesses both brands and stores are struggling.
I would hate to see a store like that go,

jules spools

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of shorts on sale from UM (the regular sale, before the everything-must-go 50% sale) and got an email notification that it shipped. A week later, no package, so I checked in on the shipment. UPS tracking reports that a shipping label was created at the same time I got that email notification from UM and then voided/cancelled 2 minutes later. Weird. I hope that others who are ordering actually get their stuff.

Now to (possibly) file a dispute with my credit card company...

KamoteJoe

Farmer Diva
Reaction score
It's sad to see them go like that. I think that the influx of tech money and casualwear over the recent years was diametrically opposed to their wheelhouse (Americana with Japanese eclecticism). While there are pockets of folks with unique tastes, I'm afraid their recent buys + collabs were a reflection of their trying to cater to what locals wanted. They offered me an opportunity to work full-time there last year, crazy to think their closing up happened so quickly after.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It's sad to see them go like that. I think that the influx of tech money and casualwear over the recent years was diametrically opposed to their wheelhouse (Americana with Japanese eclecticism). While there are pockets of folks with unique tastes, I'm afraid their recent buys + collabs were a reflection of their trying to cater to what locals wanted. They offered me an opportunity to work full-time there last year, crazy to think their closing up happened so quickly after.
Every time I was in there over the past half decade, it was mostly filled with TechBros (tm) who were clearly new to fashion looking for jeans and pretty basic shirts. I assume that outfits like Taylor Stitch were able to fill that niche at a much more palatable price level for most guys.

dadave

Reaction score
Sad to see another one go in SF if true. I was bummed Acrimony SF closed. Eventually Steven Alan and Gant left SF. There's maybe one store i'd really shop at in SF but I've been having to make a trip to LA to do massive retail shopping once in a while.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Controversial opinion, but imho 60-70% of their buys were not good due to trying to appease multiple crowds, and picking up oddball indy brands that don't sell. They tried at least, and brought in more indy brands than most popular e-commerce sites but that likely could have contributed to their demise. On top of their mostly mediocre buys, poor pricing structure (higher msrp than competing sites, little to no sales cycles), not great web presence, and general trajectory of brick-and-mortar retail- this is not a surprise at all to me.

Tech bros or not, brick and mortar retail is mostly awkward, and will likely always be unless innovation happens in the space. While it's nice to try stuff on in person, brick and mortar as we know it is dead. The lower performers are the first to go, but I anticipate a huge reduction of retailers in the next 16 months.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Controversial opinion, but imho 60-70% of their buys were not good due to trying to appease multiple crowds, and picking up oddball indy brands that don't sell. They tried at least, and brought in more indy brands than most popular e-commerce sites but that likely could have contributed to their demise. On top of their mostly mediocre buys, poor pricing structure (higher msrp than competing sites, little to no sales cycles), not great web presence, and general trajectory of brick-and-mortar retail- this is not a surprise at all to me.

Tech bros or not, brick and mortar retail is mostly awkward, and will likely always be unless innovation happens in the space. While it's nice to try stuff on in person, brick and mortar as we know it is dead. The lower performers are the first to go, but I anticipate a huge reduction of retailers in the next 16 months.
Agreed with all of this. I'm more game than the average guy for some oddball stuff, but the oddballs that UM carried just weren't good. There are other retailers like SSENSE who carry unusual stuff that's much more on trend and worth looking at. Plus I totally agree with you about brick and mortar and a big reckoning coming. In some ways it almost doesn't make as much sense to have a physical location. I'd be curious to do a real apples to apples of the costs of shipping so customers can try stuff on versus the cost of a brick and mortar location. My guess is that for many retailers, an online-only presence would come out ahead finance-wise.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They had some random customer(s) who bought out their limited Kapital stuff at full price every time. I'm still waiting to see it in the wild in SF.

whatsthis

Reaction score
Unionmade's physical SF location was a mess. It was crammed with stuff in no sense of order or direction. I could never really find anything anytime I went in there (website also sucked).

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sad to see another one go in SF if true. I was bummed Acrimony SF closed. Eventually Steven Alan and Gant left SF. There's maybe one store i'd really shop at in SF but I've been having to make a trip to LA to do massive retail shopping once in a while.
M.A.C.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.