• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha don’t get me started on Browns! Having their sale for RoW before opening it to UK peeps, despite it being UK store and presumably UK distribution point.

Never mind, no one will care about inflated prices by Sunday when we’ve won the WC

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FarFetch is awesome I don't know wtf you're all talking about.

Like others said you probably had an item bookmarked from a particular boutique, that boutique sold it because you were waiting for 95% off sales and now the only place that has it in stock doesn't have the same mark down on it.

Also, why is it not transparent?
It's a marketplace for boutiques from all over the world who set prices at whatever they want to, farfetch adjusts currencies based on where you're browsing from and to account for duties/taxes/shipping etc.
Because they no longer tell you the specific boutique that has the listing anymore? They still tell you once you pay check out.
They just stopped advertising that because it isn't logical when you can go directly to that boutique and order it instead of going through farfetch (if they even have ecomm, a lot of them don't which is why they partner with FF).
This, I shop with them all the time. The prices are typically better than at the eboutiques (I check, since it's not that hard to figure out if you know the landscape pretty well), and you have the assurance of Farfetch's delivery system, so that you get your stuff in a few days, as opposed to weeks later.

Not sure what you guys are looking at, but the things that I get (Ann D sneakers, Faliero Sarti scarves for my wife, etc...) are invariably well priced.

Vinneo

Reaction score
Farfetch UK is completely unworkable for whatever reason. Always has been. UK rrp on this is £1450 for example, so this is hilariously 40% above retail. Tax /duties don't explain that either.
Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 01.59.29.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 02.14.24.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 02.14.24.png

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought one of the Schneider jumpers below from Other shop, at full price and it was half what it costs on Farfetch haha. And these items have multiple stock/uniform pricing across sizes.

schneider 1.jpg
schneider 2.jpg

To summarise - Farfetch good for others. Properly rubbish for UK/maybe other EU countries

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, FF is a marketplace, and in the above examples it would seem that the only available selection on FF for these items are from stores outside of the EU; therefore UK pricing will be higher due to import duties and VAT.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
add a middle man and prices are going to be higher. I'm not wealthy enough to shop there

stylebop up to 70% off with styles added (another expensive site)
I don't think that you are understanding the way the www.farfetch.com works. It's a marketplace, like Ebay or Amazon marketplace, but for luxury boutiques. The prices are set by the individual boutiques, and the sellers pay a commission to Farfetch.

I know that some boutiques set artificially high prices on Farfetch in order to drive their sales to their own e-boutiques, to avoid paying fees (this seems to be a consistent theme on marketplaces) though with the changes in the Farfetch format makes this considerably more difficult.

I also know that boutiques will actively see how a competitor is pricing an item and then piggyback off their competitor, which is why you will often see multiple prices on different sizes on the same item.

The gaming of the system that you guys are complaining about is not a Farfetch thing, but an individual boutique thing.

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From the prices I've seen, the majority of stores increase prices on there, or don't discount items as much. Far fetch has their own sale periods plus these other codes, so it's not like they are strictly a host for these boutiques, that would be misleading

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously people outside the UK are having a much better experience with Farfetch than we in Britain. I mean, look at what we have to put up with... A standard pair of Crockett & Jones oxfords for over £700! This was one of the cheaper options! Then if you look closer, it says United Arrows inside. No idea what’s going on there. I just call it robbery.

Farfetch-crockett.png

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the prices I've seen, the majority of stores increase prices on there, or don't discount items as much. Far fetch has their own sale periods plus these other codes, so it's not like they are strictly a host for these boutiques, that would be misleading

Ebay also runs codes. These are in conjunction with the boutiques. I'm not sure what the contracts between Farfetch the the boutiques looks like. There are certain brands that are stupidly expensive on Farfetch, like Visvim, especially from UK boutiques. Unless the company has changed considerably in the last year, Farfetch is not like Amazon, and it has no inventory or even consolidation warehouses of its own. I've gotten a fair number of Farfetch packages in the last month or so, and the return addresses are always those of the boutique.

However, Tariff agreements are labyrinth and frankly, the impact on the price of an individual item often impossible to understand without an expert (for example, imports into Canada from Japan that contain polyester are considerably higher than those that do not.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads