1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Official Sales Alert thread - sales, coupon and discount codes

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

1. gfmozart

gfmozart Senior Member

compared to rimowa?

2. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Senior Member

I comparison shopped Briggs & Riley against Rimowa and clearly decided to go B&R. Rimowa is pretty but impractical. One problem with hard-sided luggage like Rimowa is that it doesn't flex at all, so the space you've got is the space you've got. The B&R stuff has compression that allows for that flex while still staying in regulation size.

Also, Rimowa and most hard-siders have fatal flaws: both sides of the clamshell are similarly deep, which means when you're packing you either have to stack your packing cubes/clothes to the right of the other side, or have your stuff fall if you try to close it. It's silly. You want a deep single side with the thinnest possible other side so that you fill the chamber and close it without having to stack or have stuff fall. I have no idea why anyone really likes luggage with deep chambers on both sides. Even if there are compression straps to hold your stuff, it is just a less practical way to deal with space.

Another issue is that my B&R has the expansion/compression. If I'm going on a road trip I can leave it uncompressed and have more space. Rimowa is fixed.

The final nail in the coffin for me was that for the same exterior space, Rimowa had less usable interior space.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Mine is the international wide body version, which I find is easier to get on flights, no matter what class you are flying in: https://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/c...y-on-expandable-wide-body-spinner-u121cxspw-5

Of course, if you fly business class, or in the rare case, first class (does anyone actually pay rack rate for those tickets, aside from those sticking it on a corporate expense account, Saudi princes, and actual ballers) you can carry pretty much anything on board and they will smile and stash it for you. I guess that's what you get when you pay $12K or whatever for 12 hours of relative non-discomfort.

4. devinhsieh

devinhsieh Well-Known Member

Take an extra 20% off sale. Ends 11:59 pm GMT Sunday 18th February.
    Use Code: Extra20
    albam

5. LA Guy

The other thing is that hard sided luggage can and does, crack, and they you are right screwed. ballistic nylon has so much give that someone would have to deliberately impale the thing for you to actually break your luggage. Sometimes you are going to have to gatecheck your luggage, and you know that someone is probably going to play hacky sack with it.

6. LA Guy

7. gfmozart

gfmozart Senior Member

I have been using samsonite firelite or whatever-lite versions as they offer only 10-15% of the weight limit for the biggest allowed dimensions for checked in luggage. Rimowa on the other hand is great for cabin, as I find that I don't get weight checked as often with a rimowa luggage as I do with an expandable canvas bag. But yes, the rimowa wheels. that really makes it great, but i discovered that these wheels have a flaw on icy ground.

8. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Senior Member

Interesting. I wanted the widebody but was worried that for mostly domestic US flying I'd get busted in terms of dimensions. Are you located in the US and fly domestically much? Anyway, it's not like I have any complaints about my B&R, just curious.

9. LA Guy

I fly mostly domestic, and sometimes internationally. I have been flying a lot less in the past year than I did for a few years. The international wide body looks smaller than the domestic carryon. I think that it's an optical illusion. I have both, and the international widebody definitely looks smaller at first glance. It's really not very wide at all, and it is visibly shorter than the domestic version. I've flown with the international widebody domestically a few flights, so it's hard to say for sure, but my luggage didn't even get a second look on some pretty packed flights. Fits the overhead well as well. I think that the dimensions actually make it easier to fit into pretty small overheads.

10. LA Guy

www.gilt.com - Extra 20% Off Sitewide (Limited Time Only) using code GILT20

11. tropics

tropics Distinguished Member

I have B&R carry on and baseline check in (26" maybe?). I like them and the free repairs are great - if you're in NYC you can drop them off around Koreatown and they can sometimes do repairs on the spot.
    I never really use the expander, it's nice to have it as a backup but I feel like I would prefer to lose the weight and get a bit of extra space. Got my wife an "away" check in, it's nice and light, I've found myself stealing that recently.

12. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

for carry on I got tumi and riowma, hardshell in both cases, my carry on is never that stuffed anyway...

13. skenney

skenney Senior Member

14. Zamb

Zamb Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

- Zfactorie -
    Some technical issues slowed our sale on the weekend but all is resolved and the sale continues.
    Code FW1725 gives you additional 25% off on already marked goods
    Several items restocked
    (Bison Belt - black / Minimalist Slim Jeans / Empodocles hoodie / etc)
    Prices lowered on some items + accessories

FW1718 FINAL SALE 25.jpg

15. absurdian

absurdian Well-Known Member