• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** Official S/S 2013 Runway Thread ***

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Etro looks really great. Like a few others on here I never really paid attention to them before. Nice use of colour and patterns. Quite like some of the Zegna pieces but as a collection it doesn't keep my attention, I guess that's to be expected though.

Will probably get a lot moreinteresting come the 27th & 28th for better or worse, hehe.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean that Etro appeals to everyone all the time, but if you like what they do, they rarely fail to deliver.

The clothes always have a breezy elegance underlaid by the good humour that comes with a colorful palette (at the same time it usually steers clear of some of the overly hallucinogenic neon prints seen at Versace**), and the models tend to be visibly having a good time.

**I am struggling to articulate what I mean here since Etro is often undeniably "neon," "kaleidoscopic," etc., but the way the colours mix doesn't usually feel like it was made to intentionally sear the eye like some other things. I am certainly not calling it understated.

ss10 runway:
CHQ08.jpg

GmuEN.jpg

4DRRa.jpg

4DRRa.jpg

Cd4jV.jpg

xvhxv.jpg

V5ky3.jpg

OdwNM.jpg

3gSq9.jpg

Xy2Rq.jpg

ss10 backstage:
dxSna.jpg

ss09 ad campaign:
kiHi1.jpg

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This season´s Etro would suit me perfectly... if I were a Sultan
lol8[1].gif

But seriously, he usually delivers and his collections are far from understated. Everyone could use some paisley in their lives.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joining the chorus here. Etro really is the stand out so far.

dantebykiko

Reaction score
Missoni video. Sadly the photos don't do the justice, even the video it's not even close to the real thing. It's big season for Missoni in terms of looks (40) and new massive show location (and Margarita's wedding 2 days before the show). The sand installation was really cool under the top layer of the sand was foundation of beetle wing sequins. As the show progress and models walk over the sand the sequins started to show and reflect from the lights.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I liked a few of those Missoni cardigans. ^ Some pretty intricate patterns going on.

The Moschino show reminded me of the beer discussion in the waywn thread.

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the missoni show looks 10x better in that video with all the detail visible

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised no one is talking about Umit Benan, who I thought was the only stand out in Milan.

Tim Blanks' review from style.com
Yes, he was born in Istanbul, but that's not why Umit Benan comes at fashion with such a fiercely outsider point of view. He thinks so long and hard about what he does—and why he does it—that his collections (and his shows) end up loaded with the kind of revelatory backstory you'd usually get from a celluloid auteur rather than a fashion designer. Today's presentation took that approach to new depths of intimacy. When the curtain parted, there were eight beds, eight couples, each of them acting out a morning ritual: reading papers, rubbing a lover's back, bickering, till the man hauled himself up, dressed, and left his partner alone in bed. A conventional fashion show was also integrated into this tableau, but at show's end, one of the women got up and put on some clothes that clearly belonged to her beau. There was some other crowd-pleasing horseplay with a boxer-clad Benan springing from beneath a duvet at the last minute to join the final bow, but the major point being made was clearly one that transcended gender to focus on the fluid pleasures of clothing. (Curiously, it was akin to the position that Miuccia Prada took with her show last night.)

"I once loved a woman who loves menswear" was the title Benan gave his collection. It was a theme painfully torn from the pages of his own life. It was also the starting point for a meditation on men, women, and the stuff they wear that parts them or brings them together. Benan was, for instance, brooding on the iconic French singer Françoise Hardy, who has never not dressed like a man. He was also curious about how a woman's relationship with her father is reflected in her attitude to clothes. OK, let's get a grip here. That is Umit Benan as a producer, a choreographer of "real" life. How did he do as a designer?

Well, this was the most complete wardrobe he has so far created, and it was filled with items that underscored his impeccable instincts as a man making clothes for men. The cut of Benan's jackets, for instance, gratifyingly broad across the shoulders, their accompanying trousers generous but not overtly exaggerated in cut. And his facility with color, which was really brought home with the way that leather was used. The safari jacket, the striped knits, the silk hoodie…it was not hard to picture Benan checking boxes as he composed this collection. But what ultimately elevated it—more than the emotional context he'd created—was instinct. The designer had done one of his usual real-people castings, so it was easy to see how an ordinary guy would relate to these clothes. The inspiration might have been a breakup, but the catwalk was all about getting together.

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/video/S2013MEN-UBENAN

Benan is insanely talented.

26potm-benan-slide-9EW2-jumbo.jpg
26potm-benan-slide-GXYM-jumbo.jpg

26potm-benan-slide-HKHJ-jumbo.jpg

26potm-benan-slide-XSR0-jumbo.jpg

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love this look from missoni. i imagine the fabric looks even better in person.

tumblr_m67kguzEHS1qz953wo1_400.jpg

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sand idea was just too cool. Missoni always has the best color palette.

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it a bit odd that people have been talking about Missoni on here for a while but I have yet to see someone actually purchase anything from them. That said, seenmy definitely styled it well.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it a bit odd that people have been talking about Missoni on here for a while but I have yet to see someone actually purchase anything from them. That said, seenmy definitely styled it well.

I have a Missoni sweater. The original sticker price on it was $1500. Pretty much why nobody here buys it.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raf actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.. but like, there's nothing new in that collection, and it's not good enough to do a copy of. Also way too many of the looks are clones in different primary colors.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't find **** online most of the time, some of the not so great knits and shirts, lots of socks and other accessories and that's about it. And yeah, it's kinda pricey, 1500 seems a bit too much though, probably around 700-900 for most stuff.

TBS is getting Missoni this fall iirc so we'll see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads