• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Paul Smith Shoe Thread... all PS shoe questions here

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brozeus
^ thanks to airport lobby, and thanks to you for the tip on US vs UK sizing.

BlueBee claims Starr runs 1/2 size small, can anyone confirm this? (i ordered TTS because from what i can tell, the last seems pretty narrow)

no, bluebee claims they run 1/2 size large, not small.

brozeus

Reaction score
^ thanks, sorry, thats what I meant.

I meant, BlueBee claims to size down (due to running 1/2 size large), but I went TTS b/c of what I perceived to be a narrow last.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered already but does anyone own both the bihar and ricard? Wondering if the last is different. Is the bihar alot more comfy because of the rubber sole? I kind of prefer the look of the thinner sole on the ricard. Having the hardest time finding the ricard in brown. Any thoughts, I'm in So, CA but interweb is fine also.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last on the Bihar and Ricards are definitely different. The Bihars are way bigger in sizing and I do think it is more comfortable because of the rubber sole but the Ricards has a more dressier style and a bit more versatile. Although the rubber sole on the Bihars doesn't really make it bulky or bulbous, it is still a bit low profile in comparison to RW GT and LL Bean Katahdins.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I like the Bihars more than Ricard as well, comfort-wise. The Bihar is VERY comfortable. As RFX said, the Ricard is more versatile because it's more minimally designed. Compared to RW or something like that, the Bihar seems really sleek in comparison. That would be my only critique of Bihar, that I'd prefer a boot like that to be bigger/chunkier looking. As it is it's almost dainty in comparison to a Red Wing. But it's a great boot regardless.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
Sorry if this has been answered already but does anyone own both the bihar and ricard? Wondering if the last is different. Is the bihar alot more comfy because of the rubber sole? I kind of prefer the look of the thinner sole on the ricard. Having the hardest time finding the ricard in brown. Any thoughts, I'm in So, CA but interweb is fine also.

Brown Ricards available here. Never ordered from them though.
http://www.zeeandco.co.uk/label/Paul...6/p103996.aspx

ebusch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Brown Ricards available here. Never ordered from them though.
http://www.zeeandco.co.uk/label/Paul...6/p103996.aspx

I had nothing but trouble trying to order from them in the past. I tried 3 different credit cards, and on the last two even told the CC companies that i was trying to make a purchase from the UK, they still wouldn't complete the order. I see that they now accept PayPal, so maybe that will make international orders easier.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
The last on the Bihar and Ricards are definitely different. The Bihars are way bigger in sizing and I do think it is more comfortable because of the rubber sole but the Ricards has a more dressier style and a bit more versatile. Although the rubber sole on the Bihars doesn't really make it bulky or bulbous, it is still a bit low profile in comparison to RW GT and LL Bean Katahdins.

Thanks for all the info guys. I guess I look on ebay since I see the bihar popping up there. Although I may have to pull the trigger on a pair of grey ricards. I tried on an 8UK ricard and it was almost big for my size 10D US foot. How much more should I size down for the bihar then?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
Thanks for all the info guys. I guess I look on ebay since I see the bihar popping up there. Although I may have to pull the trigger on a pair of grey ricards. I tried on an 8UK ricard and it was almost big for my size 10D US foot. How much more should I size down for the bihar then?
From the experience of others, .5 from Ricard sizing (and my 10D foot takes an 8.5/8 UK in Ricards while others are perfectly fine with 9UKs, sizing is rather dependent on the person)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My loot from Black Friday showed up from Saks today.
Dark brown suede Starrs and oakwood suede Cages plus some random socks.
newsuedestuff.jpg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice pick ups Zippy, I really hate the Starrs now though. They come out with so much colorways of that shoe and it doesn't fit me.

I actually wore my Bihars last night, I don't know what GS is talking about, they don't seem dainty at all.
tounge.gif

bihar_10.jpg

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
From the experience of others, .5 from Ricard sizing (and my 10D foot takes an 8.5/8 UK in Ricards while others are perfectly fine with 9UKs, sizing is rather dependent on the person)

very true, I am 10D in US and wear a 9UK in Ricards. I actually bought 8.5UK first on the advice to size down but that was a mistake. The 8.5 UK are now in another SFer's closet, and the 9 UK are in mine.

Really like my new Nash grey dip dyes (also 9 UK). It seems to have a blue undertone. Others have said green, but I see blue.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Nice pick ups Zippy, I really hate the Starrs now though. They come out with so much colorways of that shoe and it doesn't fit me.

I actually wore my Bihars last night, I don't know what GS is talking about, they don't seem dainty at all.
tounge.gif

Have you considered foot surgery?

sh0ebox

Reaction score
Received my Paul Smith Timurs today. They're very nice... I'm glad I finally got my hands on a pair of Paul Smith boots. I was originally looking for a pair of black Yorks for the last year or so, but turns out I couldn't get those as easily as I'd have hoped and since decided to get the Timurs instead. I'm happy with my decision, as these aren't purely black and so I think they will be more versatile.

Here are some pics of the shoes themselves, plus a fit pic of them.

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7179.jpg

IMG_7184.jpg

Fit pic:
wi82kx.jpg

Sorry, I'm too lazy to mess with the white balance too much. The most accurate color would probably have to be the 1st pic. They're like a charcoal grey with a very slight bluish tinge to them (like a cooler grey).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads