1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Obscure High-End Japanese Trends You're Not Cool Enough For Megathread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tween_spirit, Jul 8, 2011.

1. el duderino

el duderino Senior member

If you want to proxy Kapital, I recommend Jon from sufu (he posts in the Kapital thread). Gotta be careful w/ sizing though as it varies piece to piece and it's meant to be worn relaxed fitting combined w/ the fact most pieces are unisex. You particularly want to check the length and sleeve length measurements if you are 5'10 or taller.

2. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

3. colabear

colabear Senior member

I love some new pieces by Marlon Gobel

printed velvet blazer
    [​IMG]

and the quirky cashmere sweaters are easy, comfortable, and fun to wear
    [​IMG]

4. Roygbivuxg

Roygbivuxg Senior member

^that blazer is amazing

5. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

^^ Hand painted, not printed

6. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yohji Yamamoto FW 2011

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

8. Roygbivuxg

Roygbivuxg Senior member

[​IMG]

ive always been a fan of Unused. Too bad the name makes internet searching practically impossible

9. Lane

Lane Senior member

10. clark kent

clark kent Senior member

this is one of those threads that i wish i didnt enter. so many must have pieces, that i never knew existed, but now need so badly. too bad i'm not cool enough :fu:

11. Flame

Flame Senior member

For very wearable, grown-up weekend swag for those who still like their Japanese streetwear, try Neighbourhood or Bedwin and the Heartbreakers. In fact, my casual friday wardrobe is 100% Neighbourhood, Bedwin, Our Legacy and Sophnet (another very solid Japanese label that produces superlative classic menswear)

Bedwin (S/S 11):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  12. Flame

Flame Senior member

Also for simple. relatively affordable clothing that creates an edgy rocker vibe, look not further than lad musician. Their stuff ( tees, jackets, boots) is reminiscent of Hedi-era Dior.

My Lad blazer is my go-to for sharp but still casual occasions. Skinny lapels, 1 button, 2 vents, surgeon cuffs. Perfect for dressed up dates / nights out at club with paired with a crispy Y's white poplin button shirt and black Uniqlo skinny jeans.

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

.... wouldn't exactly call it affordable

14. Flame

Flame Senior member

...Its cheaper than Dior prices. Sales in Japan have a 50-70% markdown. Affordable to those with a 4 figure monthly income job.

Also I said "Relatively Affordable".

15. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Lad Musician is certainly affordable IMO, it's not Uniqlo or anything but it's a solid mid-market option.

16. Flame

Flame Senior member

And its quality , fit and details trumps most of the lower-end-of-the-spectrum high-fashion brands (like Marc Jacobs etc) as well as similar brands at the same price point (Acne, APC etc)

17. Vaudevillian

Vaudevillian Senior member

mmm, didn't know about this one quite frankly. I'm having a look at their online store. At 57'000 yen for a jacket I wouldn't say they are the most affordable brand out there but, yes, if the we are comparing to Slimane it's still cheap.

a few questions for those who have experience with the brand:

-how does the sizing work? I mean, 42, 44, 46, it's quite clear we are not talking about IT sizing... judging from measures 42 might be something between an IT44 and an IT46...

- Is it skinny, right?

- is quality good? can you unbutton the sleeves?

18. Flame

Flame Senior member

- I normally buy them at discount during sales period...so maybe 29000 Yen for a jacket? Seems fair to me.

- The clothes fit really slim. I used to wear a 46 in them, but they make a 48 nowdays, and that is the biggest size they carry. A size 42 will fit like a size IT 42-44 comfortably, and a size IT 46 will get a nuthuggin / nipple fit. I take a 48 nowadays.

- Quality is damn good for the price, around the same as current Dior Homme, but not as good as Hedi-era DH. Their forte is in minimalist outerwear, monochromatic fashion suit separates, and nice slim fit tees and monochromatic dress shirts that fit like BoO in a lightweight cotton. Sometimes they put out good sweaters and nice goth-ninj styled bluchers and boots during F/W but that's all they produce. At 40000+ yen MSRP with a discount of 60% in Japan during sales in 06-07 their combat boots were the best value for money back then, I still recalled my friend buying a pair and rocking the shit out of them because they were such a good buy. Their recent F/W with the vampire ear models also had some solid outerwear. The only problem is that few stores stock them in the states (I can only recall Blackbird having them)
    Luckily Singapore has a department store with a whole display of their stuff and they often go on 70% end of season sales so I'm pretty happy with the pricing thus far.

In a nutshell get Lad if you like to emulate those Hedi-era DH subdued looks, but don't have the cash to do so (but not willing to stoop to April 77 quality levels)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  19. Vaudevillian

Vaudevillian Senior member

wow, this means that size 42 is actually an IT42...they must be the only menswear brand in the world that makes such small sizes. Your description is making this very appealing... Do they ever run discounts on the website? I'd be keen to buy something and I have this dilemma between this and a Boglioli jacket (very different, I know).

20. Flame

Flame Senior member

I'm not too sure about online sales, but as for your dilemma, if your wardrobe is more MC or Trad / Ivy leaguer style, get the Boglioli. If you tend to wear lots of DH / Jil / Raf / MMM/ Stephen Scheneider etc etc etc then the Lad will be a better buy.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011