• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** Official Norwegian Rain Bergen by T Michael Thread ******** - Rainchos, S-Capes, Rive Gauche coa

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bottom zipper I think works better. As to snap vs draw string it's convenience vs how secure it truly is. I haven't had to adjust multiple times so I don't know if that will be an issue guess I'll find out once winter really hits.

Santa-N-Claus

Reaction score
PS the shearling collar on the Moscow seems nice but not very practical. Closing the thingy is a bit fiddly, or at least it was for me in the store without gloves. With gloves on it must be even worse! Luckily it can be removed.

I wonder about wool and shearling vs down, in terms of warmth. A down coat would probably be lighter, but since this is not technical sports gear in which every gram counts, who cares, a slightly heavier coat isn't the end of the world. People have commented about the Moscow being warm in Chicago so I guess it does its job!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My guess down is lighter for same warmth, Moscow just look cool, especially as something works for both CM and S&D

TheLondoner

Reaction score
I forgot to mention: the guy in the NR London store said they're closing down the store at the end of December as the lease is ending. It's not yet clear if they'll find another space in London or not. The store is quite big and it's super-prime real estate, so I can only imagine it must be very expensive.

mypants

Reaction score
Just got my Moscow today (army green Herringbone) from NMWA. Amazing!!! I was expecting it to be very nice, of course, but this is something special.

The shearling is thick and plush. The construction is impeccable. The wool filled lining is not as thick/puffy as I thought it might be, which is actually really nice. It lets the coat drape properly versus a puffy down filling.

Looks like tailoring rather than a boring old winter parka. In fact, the most surprising thing is that it actually still has shape to it, tucking in just a bit at the waist. Not an easy feat to pull off in a heavy winter coat.

As warm as my Canada Goose Expedition Parka? Thank god, no. I live in a part of Canada that regularly hits -35 celcius in the winter... nothing is as warm as down fill. But that means puffy, which isn’t flattering in any way. The Moscow should be just fine down around -20 if not more.

I’m really digging the idea of shearling patches and wool filling. Great thinking behind that.

Anyhow, just my $0.02. Spent two years thinking about it. Glad I finally caved in.

Santa-N-Claus

Reaction score
I forgot: does the thermal lining stop roughly at the waist? I like an insulated coat with insulation all the way to the bottom - keeps my bum a bit warmer, too! :)

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The zip-in liners stop a few inches above the bottom of the coat

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got my Moscow today (army green Herringbone) from NMWA. Amazing!!! I was expecting it to be very nice, of course, but this is something special.

The shearling is thick and plush. The construction is impeccable. The wool filled lining is not as thick/puffy as I thought it might be, which is actually really nice. It lets the coat drape properly versus a puffy down filling.

Looks like tailoring rather than a boring old winter parka. In fact, the most surprising thing is that it actually still has shape to it, tucking in just a bit at the waist. Not an easy feat to pull off in a heavy winter coat.

As warm as my Canada Goose Expedition Parka? Thank god, no. I live in a part of Canada that regularly hits -35 celcius in the winter... nothing is as warm as down fill. But that means puffy, which isn’t flattering in any way. The Moscow should be just fine down around -20 if not more.

I’m really digging the idea of shearling patches and wool filling. Great thinking behind that.

Anyhow, just my $0.02. Spent two years thinking about it. Glad I finally caved in.

At -35C I would stick with Canada Goose/Moncler as well (or North Face...), luckily we don't get anywhere near as cold in NYC we're more like no colder than -10C most of the time.

Agree it has some "form" (rather than shape) even though it's rather straight cut as suppose A, really like my, unfortunately (or fortunately) it hasn't really been that cold as of yet to wear them...

leeba

Reaction score
if anybody is looking for the fw16-exclusive navy hopsack bumfreezer in L, i'm letting mine go (it's new). grab it so i can get something else that'll fit my style better, but still from NMWA (kinda neat how that works)

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) the bottom of the zipper is not the bottom of the pocket (it's deeper) so not an issue in any way
2) the hoods are adjustable. There are 3 positions of snaps to cinch it. It's more secure than drawstrings

I beg to differ on the hood. I find that that the hood is large enough to fit 2 heads. The snaps on top of the hood shorten the height of the hood but the width is way too large. I find that I need to wear a hat and large headphones for a good fit.

Conversely, the top button is hard to close if you are wearing a necktie.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be snaps inside the hood (on both sides) to attach the pull straps and cinch the hood closer to the face. Is that what you're referring to? (They’re not ‘on top’ of the hood so want to make sure...)

I found that to cinch the hood down pretty dramatically

Last edited:

Utini2000

Reaction score
I usually only wear a shirt + button shirt during summer+winter. I dont even own a sweater. Temperatures go as low as -15 Celsius Degree but during the day its somewhere at 0 Celsius Degree.

I thought the Moscow would be perfect for me? Especially when walking through the city with just a shirt/button shirt below my coat?

Anyone knows where to buy the Moscow in S/M within Europe?
All stores seem to be sold out or only have military green. I would prefer black/grey/..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads