• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** Official Norwegian Rain Bergen by T Michael Thread ******** - Rainchos, S-Capes, Rive Gauche coa

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that it would be cool to have a thread dedicated to my latest obsession, Norwegian Rain. I'd seen some of the stuff at one of @gdl203 's trunk shows - the "single breasted" specifically, and the materials and workmanship had really impressed me. The designs, while truly well executed, were to me, fairly basic shapes.

Going to Paris, seeing the more directional pieces at Tom Greyhound (www.tomgreyhound.com) and seeing how they could be styled, either as a kimono style, or as a poncho'/cape, or the actual "S-Cape", really blew my mind.

When I got back, I nearly immediate bought my wife a raincho from Norwegian Rain directly, and I'm considering a Rive Gauche from NoMan, so I thought I'd start a brand thread

Here are a few pics to show the styling of a few of my favorite pieces, all taken from the Norwegian Rain official site. I've also included a few pictures with details from Japanese sites to show just how well considered the internal designs are, to boot.

Unisex Raincho

Details:

Unisex S-Cape

And the Rive Gauche:

Moscow men's coat.

Official site: www.norwegianrain.com, which also does e-commerce.

Affiliate vendor www.nomanwalksalone.com carries the brand: http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/makers/makersinfo/view/id/174/

Other US vendors:
Seattle's www.babyandco.com, where I always make a stop when I go visit, also carries a fair bit of Norwegian Rain. If you know Seattle, it's not hard to figure out why: http://babyandco.us/collections/norwegian-rain

For the Canadians: http://us.duewest.ca/collections/norwegian-rain

For those in Japan, there are tons of options, but I like Kink-Nagoya and Silver and Gold

Cheers,

Fok.

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What temperature ranges does this stuff work in?

Is it is 65F and raining, will it run too hot?

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
According to Alexander from Norwegian Rain the Moscow is good until -25C. (The bottom coat).

The rest are for summer/fall in Scandinavia, so you be good up until 15ish c, maybe a little warmer without sweating your ass of.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What temperature ranges does this stuff work in?

Is it is 65F and raining, will it run too hot?
65F? I would wear these on the beach on the Oregon Coast in the summer, where it is often windy and overcast as well as rainy in the summer, and often, 65 is the high.

I would not wear it in San Diego, where it might rain, but 65F is a low, and it is otherwise pretty sunny.

happyriverz

Reaction score
I have both the single breasted raincoat (with the detachable liner) and the Moscow for about a year so I can speak from some experience wearing the brand.

The single-breasted works fine for me from about 70 to 35ish Fahrenheit. I originally ordered the detachable liner thinking that it would work in for even colder temperatures, but with the liner, the SB becomes too small to wear over sportcoat/sweater/shirt layers in the fall, and the ribbed cuff on the liner makes it impracticable for me to wear a sportcoat under there. However, if you only wear the SB over a knit or a shirt, I think getting the liner would be great.

The Moscow can handle the cold: I live in Chicago, and this thing has kept me warm when it's 0 degrees Fahrenheit outside, with wind chill down in the -20s while waiting for the subway on an elevated, open-air platform. It is roomy enough to layer a sportcoat, sweater, and shirt over. The Moscow doesn't have a ribbed cuff, so it works better if you do decide to layer another jacket underneath it. The Moscow has a beautiful A-line silhouette that drapes wonderfully.

I wear both of these Norwegian Rain coats with both casual on the weekends and more "menswear" items during the work week, and I think they can integrate easily with both kind of aesthetics.

mistersparkle

Reaction score
I thought that this was an incredibly badass garment when I saw how T Michael wears it.

The thing is: that guy probably still looks like a badass in pajamas.

Hope to see some fit pics with regular people. I bought a Rains poncho, which looked in their marketing photos, but in real life I looked like a doomsday prepper.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is: that guy probably still looks like a badass in pajamas.

Hope to see some fit pics with regular people. I bought a Rains poncho, which looked in their marketing photos, but in real life I looked like a doomsday prepper.
So, sure, he is super photogenic, but I've seen/tried on the garments, and they are remarkably wearable. Here are some more "normal" less photogenic people wearing it:

T. Michael seems to cinch his a lot, but I think that I'll just wear it open and loose, like above, with dark jeans and boots or with tech pants and runners.

But yeah, it's not a garment that will work for everyone.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re. the S-Cape - It is actually an amazing garment if you actually live in Bergen (I did for a summer) where it rains and rains and rains, and these are not showers. You can keep everything under the garment, and more importantly, the A shape will also keep your pants from getting soaked. That said, I prefer the raincho. I just got Jen one for Valentine's Day, and it is amazing. Going to get one for myself for either the spirng or next fall, either in black or, if I can find it, black herringbone. I too, wish to look like a Jedi.
I've ordered a couple of things so far from Baby and Co and they are selling Norweigan Rain coats. I believe they have that piece as well as others.

Last edited by a moderator:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On edit- No Raincho but some cool coats otherwise. The women's coats are really nice.
No. They do have a version of the Rive Gauche on deep discount. I might end up picking that up, but the Rain-cho is perhaps a bit more eyecatching.

Last edited:

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have both the single breasted raincoat (with the detachable liner) and the Moscow for about a year so I can speak from some experience wearing the brand. 

The single-breasted works fine for me from about 70 to 35ish Fahrenheit. I originally ordered the detachable liner thinking that it would work in for even colder temperatures, but with the liner, the SB becomes too small to wear over sportcoat/sweater/shirt layers in the fall, and the ribbed cuff on the liner makes it impracticable for me to wear a sportcoat under there. However, if you only wear the SB over a knit or a shirt, I think getting the liner would be great. 

The Moscow can handle the cold: I live in Chicago, and this thing has kept me warm when it's 0 degrees Fahrenheit outside, with wind chill down in the -20s while waiting for the subway on an elevated, open-air platform. It is roomy enough to layer a sportcoat, sweater, and shirt over. The Moscow doesn't have a ribbed cuff, so it works better if you do decide to layer another jacket underneath it. The Moscow has a beautiful A-line silhouette that drapes wonderfully. 

I wear both of these Norwegian Rain coats with both casual on the weekends and more "menswear" items during the work week, and I think they can integrate easily with both kind of aesthetics. 

I'm so glad I sized up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads