• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** Official Norwegian Rain Bergen by T Michael Thread ******** - Rainchos, S-Capes, Rive Gauche coa

happyriverz

Reaction score
Have anyone cleaned their moscow before?

I have emailed NR directly and they told me that shearling and quilted padding will flatten if machine washed.

Spot cleaning with sponge and a little bit of detergent + water mix is the easiest way, assuming that the coat is not significantly soiled.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the waterproofing of NR coats wear off over time? Most of the rain jackets I've had slowly started leaking water over the course of a few years, but I'm not sure how NR's rain technology works

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the waterproofing of NR coats wear off over time? Most of the rain jackets I've had slowly started leaking water over the course of a few years, but I'm not sure how NR's rain technology works
No it doesn't because the outer layer of the coats are made of polyester which is naturally waterproof as an synthetic material.

gurakshun

Reaction score
No it doesn't because the outer layer of the coats are made of polyester which is naturally waterproof as an synthetic material.
I’m not so sure of that, I know that they do apply a DWR to the outside (https://norwegianrain.com/pages/eco-statement), and that DWRs lose effectiveness over time, but I don’t know whether this translates to an actual loss of waterproofing over time because there’s the waterproof membrane below the layer. They do say on this website that customers can send in their coats to be repaired, and they have had 19 such claims over the past 10 years, which is a pretty good record.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not so sure of that, I know that they do apply a DWR to the outside (https://norwegianrain.com/pages/eco-statement), and that DWRs lose effectiveness over time, but I don’t know whether this translates to an actual loss of waterproofing over time because there’s the waterproof membrane below the layer. They do say on this website that customers can send in their coats to be repaired, and they have had 19 such claims over the past 10 years, which is a pretty good record.
Thanks for linking their page. Yes their outermost layer has DWR for water and stain repelling, but I can't imagine the laminated waterproof membrane underneath ever losing its effectiveness.

JulieMaxine

Reaction score
Hi All, new member here, but longtime Norwegian Rain obsessive. I have a Moscow Femme in XS (black) which I bought secondhand with tags for my wife. It arrived appearing unworn with tags still on it, but it ended up being too small. If anyone is interested it's in new condition and ready to ship for $350. Take a look at the attached photos, and I can send more detailed photos upon request.

Also, I'm on the hunt for a Moscow Homme in small or medium, if anyone has a line on one of those please let me know!

Thanks All.
Hi there - I have been searching for one of these and saw your post - realize it was from a few months ago. Any chance you still have the Moscow Femme for sale?

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there - I have been searching for one of these and saw your post - realize it was from a few months ago. Any chance you still have the Moscow Femme for sale?

Sorry Julie, I ended up following through on the purchase for my wife. She seems happy but if she has a change of heart I will message you.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I have worn my NR DB quite a lot recently (we have had a wet autumn in London), and: i) it is my favourite garment - I LOVE it; ii) every time I wear it someone comments on it.

Beav

Reaction score
Hi all, I'd like to get some Moscow sizing advice, as I think I'm right in between a M and L.

I'm 5'9", 175lbs, have a 40 inch chest and normally wear a 40R jacket but have slimmer shoulders and sometimes fit into a fuller cut 38R. I have an athletic build and have a little extra weight around the mid section, often wear a size 34 or 35 waist trouser.

Based on measurements on NMWA it seems I'm in between M and L. Kyle at NMWA figures an M might be better for me and would still allow some layering. I'd like to have some layers but dont need to layer up too much, as inline on the west coast of Canada so it is rarely below -5c.

I appreciate Kyle's advice but would like some additional opinions as returns from Canada is troublesome.

Can anyone offer some advice on what size Moscow might be best? Thanks in advance.

axroox

Reaction score
Sounds like we have a similar build — I have a 41-inch chest/33 waist, and I’m otherwise the same height and weight. I think Kyle is giving you good advice. I have a medium, and it fits well. I can layer without looking like a stuffed sausage, but it also looks tailored without a heavy sweater. Small was a bit too snug for me. The proportions of the Large were off for me — lower on my leg than I like and too long in the arms. My two cents. YRMV. Good luck — it’s a great coat. I get compliments on the Moscow and my sb (which fits much slimmer) every time I wear them — truly superior winter coats.

Beav

Reaction score
Sounds like we have a similar build — I have a 41-inch chest/33 waist, and I’m otherwise the same height and weight. I think Kyle is giving you good advice. I have a medium, and it fits well. I can layer without looking like a stuffed sausage, but it also looks tailored without a heavy sweater. Small was a bit too snug for me. The proportions of the Large were off for me — lower on my leg than I like and too long in the arms. My two cents. YRMV. Good luck — it’s a great coat. I get compliments on the Moscow and my sb (which fits much slimmer) every time I wear them — truly superior winter coats.
Very nice, thanks for you help ?

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How does the SB work for winter where you are? My NR is also my most complimented piece of outerwear for sure.

axroox

Reaction score
I’m in NYC, and I have the SB with the OG removable arctic liner. With that, I can comfortably wear it in sub-freezing temperatures. It is incredibly versatile.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I’m in NYC, and I have the SB with the OG removable arctic liner. With that, I can comfortably wear it in sub-freezing temperatures. It is incredibly versatile.

How much tighter does the liner make it? My DB fits beautifully without but I can fit some layers beneath it. I was thinking of just getting a Uniqlo ultralight down jacket to wear as an insulating layer (something like this without a protruding collar in front
https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/men-ultra-light-down-compact-jacket-429284.html )

I've got a Patagonia ultralight which I love but it's bright orange, so no exactly subtle!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads