• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** Official Norwegian Rain Bergen by T Michael Thread ******** - Rainchos, S-Capes, Rive Gauche coa

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arctic liner + a good scarf will be quite similar in cold protection as a Moscow/Biker setup
More seriously though, the SB with the liner inside is a true winter coat. I dunno about -30C. I've lived through many winter with the occasional -30C spell, and imo, no matter how warm is your outerwear, you'll need to wear layers underneath it to be warm.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-35 with wind chill here today. Went reigning champ sweatshirt and Canada goose chateau. Look forward to seeing how the SB with liner performs. Not expecting it for quite that low though

happyriverz

Reaction score
More seriously though, the SB with the liner inside is a true winter coat. I dunno about -30C. I've lived through many winter with the occasional -30C spell, and imo, no matter how warm is your outerwear, you'll need to wear layers underneath it to be warm.
You guys must be much hardier than I am then. I love the toasty shearling chest liner of the Moscow.

OuterHeaven

Reaction score
Does the Single Breasted fit trim enough to use as a spring/fall rain jacket without padded lining? Wear only over a crew neck sweater or a shirt. NMWA chest measurement for size small is 44", which is super roomy imo. I have an small APC mac coat fits me pretty well with chest approximately 40" or 41".

Last edited:

happyriverz

Reaction score
Does the Single Breasted fit trim enough to use as a spring/fall rain jacket without padded lining? Wear only over a crew neck sweater or a shirt. NMWA chest measurement for size small is 44", which is super roomy imo. I have an small APC mac coat fits me pretty well with chest approximately 40" or 41".

In my experience, yes. If you want it even slimmer, it does have a belt.

90shilling

Reaction score
Does anybody have the Rive Gauche? Would be interested to hear about how you like it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BabyandCo is selling a Rive Gauche in small(as well as other NR) on sale:
http://babyandco.us/collections/new-arrivals-mens/products/rive-gauche-coat?variant=10752778691

About the same price from your friendly neighborhood affiliate vendor (after EXTRA20SALE discount)
spam[1].gif

(note there is no such thing as size Small for Rive Gauche - only One Size and One Size+ )

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just yanking your chain ;)

happyriverz

Reaction score

For sizing reference, this is a SB in size small, no liner. There's some tiny pulling in one of my shoulders with a sport coat, Shetland crew neck and OCBD underneath, but the pulling isn't enough to bother me. Without the sportcoat, the pulling disappears. My normal size is 36, so I didn't size up in the SB from a small to a medium. If I had the liner in, it would be too snug for a sport coat.

Last edited:

il_colonnello

Reaction score
^I am amazed that you manage to layer a size small over a sportcoat at all, more so without serious pulling/problems of movement.
I guess there must be a considerable difference in sizing between SB and DB then. I also normally wear a size small/46(IT) but got the knee-length DB in a medium, b/c trying both sizes on in store there was no way in hell I could have layered a size small over anything but a medium-weight knit, certainly not a structured sportcoat (all this is talking only about the coat, no liner).

More generally on the pros and cons of NR, I have been wearing mine for a while and tbh I think it's great while it's raining but less so when it stops. The fabric does look and feel rather plasticky I think - as I suppose does any fully water-proof synthetic material -, and therefore inappropriate if you're wearing it whenever it's not pouring down. Around the same time I got my NR I also discovered waxed cotton (late to the party I know) and bought a Christopher Raeburn rain parka made from that. I have found myself reaching for that a lot more than the NR - it's sufficiently waterproof to get me to work dry and feels much less out-of-place when the rain stops. Just my experience.

happyriverz

Reaction score
^I am amazed that you manage to layer a size small over a sportcoat at all, more so without serious pulling/problems of movement.
I guess there must be a considerable difference in sizing between SB and DB then. I also normally wear a size small/46(IT) but got the knee-length DB in a medium, b/c trying both sizes on in store there was no way in hell I could have layered a size small over anything but a medium-weight knit, certainly not a structured sportcoat (all this is talking only about the coat, no liner).

More generally on the pros and cons of NR, I have been wearing mine for a while and tbh I think it's great while it's raining but less so when it stops. The fabric does look and feel rather plasticky I think - as I suppose does any fully water-proof synthetic material -, and therefore inappropriate if you're wearing it whenever it's not pouring down. Around the same time I got my NR I also discovered waxed cotton (late to the party I know) and bought a Christopher Raeburn rain parka made from that. I have found myself reaching for that a lot more than the NR - it's sufficiently waterproof to get me to work dry and feels much less out-of-place when the rain stops. Just my experience.

I wouldn't call myself lanky, but I do have a fairly thin build (5'7'', 135lbs), but even without the liner, I would not wear a sportcoat/suit with a more structured shoulder under the SB for the reasons you said. The sportcoat in that picture is an unstructured LBM, so the shoulders fit easily under the SB.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is very interesting observation..

happyriverz

Reaction score

Close up shot of my sport coat against the SB. Definitely agree that the feel of the fabric cannot compare to natural fibers, but to me it does not look plasticky, certainly not like more mass-oriented brands like North Face or Patagonia. I have no experience with the more advanced performance-oriented brands like Isaora or Acrynym, so can't really compare how the SB looks/feels compared to those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads