1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sonick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well, its either this or the Nexus Prime. I'll preorder on the 7th just in case its this.

I can't believe Sprint bought in for 20 bil of this shit. They got hosed.

2. jet

jet Senior member

This was a logical addition I mean 3gs followed the 3, not a huge surprise if you don't follow all those nonsensical blogs. Apple will sell millions and the stock will soar again.

Glad it looks just like my 4 too, also hated the disgusting shape of the previous ones which is why I bought the 4 in the first place.

All in all, good job apple.

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

This is a massive PR flop. They should have known that people wanted a "5" and simply called the product the iPhone 5. It's all new on the inside, but they will lose sales because people want a "new" phone.

5. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

but how can they simply call it the iPhone 5 when it looks exactly like an iPhone 4?.. we all know how easily deceived the general public is regarding appearances.

6. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

My Choice would have been to alter the design a little. Maybe change the shape of the Speakers, new home button symbol and new camera shape. For a small change in production costs (which they need to tool up for anyway) they could have had a stock increase rather than decrease.

This launch just doesn't seem to have the flawless Apple process going on.

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

^ people are still going to buy it no matter what. the 3GS outsold the 3G and it looked the same. i see nothing that will prevent the 4S outselling the 4.

if a simple number designation on a phone makes a stock drop, i'll buy on the dip. ridiculous. bought shares when jobs stepped down and did OK.

why doesn't apple follow all of their other product names and just call it iPhone (and iPad)? i don't go up to my friend and ask him how his iPod 15 is. there has to be some marketing strategy for this.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^Now you're getting all apple fanboy sounding. jeez you quoted my whole post but apparently didn't read it. the iphone4 is an excellent smartphone. I just want a smaller model as an option.

It fits into my pants pocket just fine. But when doing anything active (like running/cycling/hiking) things that involve putting the iPhone4 into shorts/thin pants/thin jackets the iPhone becomes vulnerable to being knocked around and its size, glass and metal enclosure, and weight are a hindrance.

again I just want a different option on the iPhone from apple. They make different iPods (the classic and iPod touch and shuffle and used to make the nano). Why not start making different iPhone models? It doesn't have to be a fully optioned smartphone, but the gps/googlemaps/internet browser/camera/ipod function can now be reasonably be featured in a smaller phone now.

I just miss having really small cellphones. Sure the iPhone is an awesome smart phone thats sleek and easy to use (probably the best bar none), but I'd jump at the chance to buy a smaller "iPhone nano like" phone that I can really bring everywhere with me. The iPod nano sold like gangbusters because not everyone needed the larger versions of the iPod. Not everyone needs the fully optioned smartphone like the iPhone especially if you already have an iPad.

Now that we have the iPad the iPhone almost becomes redundant to some. I'd rather have a small phone +iPad.

disclaimer: I have two macbook pros, an iPad, two ipod nanos, and my wife and I have iPhone4s. I love my apple products but I switched almost a decade ago and have no clue to the competitors products wether they're better or worse. Honestly? I don't even really know how to use windows OS anymore.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  9. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

^imo, i don't think we will see 2 different size options for a while if at all. jobs shot down the idea of two different sized iPads and the iPhone is likely being treated the same. screwing with the size of the screen creates a whole new branch is software development, not to say that is the driving force in not making a second size for either ipad or iphone. although, they could do a non-iOS phone, but that doesn't make sense either

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

jobs also shot down the idea of "netbooks" and "putting 3G into an iPhone". now we have and 11.6" macbook air and two generations of 3G equipped iphones.

there's still a huge market for smaller cellphones. I love my iPod nano, millions of others do as well. it seems like a logical step for those that don't need a larger fully featured smartphone.

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Jet is 100% right. Let's be real here guys. Apple is not at fault for the disappointment you may feel about the lack of a larger "iPhone 5." They were not the ones spreading the rumors, the bogs and social sphere were. They already showed that they believe that selling an upgraded version of their current phone every other year as an "S" is a viable strategy. You know what? The sales figures have shown that they are right. The iPhone is constantly the best selling smart phone on the market. No reason to believe that the iPhone 4S won't also be.

Look, I felt some slight disappointment right after the press conference yesterday and admitted it so. I was also one of the people posting the rumors here and talking about them. The key difference I believe between me and some of the reactions to this I am reading on the internet is that I got over my disappointment very shortly. It was all rumors and speculation. We had no real reason to even expect this larger phone and therefore we have no real reason to be upset it didn't make a showing.

Another thing that I have noticed is that some people seem to be framing the discussion that a larger screen is somehow "newer" and "better." This is an incorrect way to look at it. From day one Apple could have launched with a larger screen. They decided that they wanted to go with a 3.5 inch screen. It was a design decision. The retina display that Apple uses may not be the largest screen on the market, but it is certainly one of the best. Going larger wouldn't necessarily make it any better. In fact some users prefer a phone the size of the iPhone and don't want a larger 4 inch screen. Will Apple ever go larger? Maybe. We simply don't know. What I can tell you is that if they do, it won't be because it's the logical tech upgrade path for cell phones to do so. It's simply not. It's all about choices in design and usability.

12. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

As a non-techie, iPhone 4-owning non-fanboy, I'd say this was a disappointing update. We waited an extra few months for this?

Some of the software upgrades sound nice, but they're only going to slow down my phone, and the hardware upgrades aren't enough to justify a new phone.

Killing MobileMe is disappointing; just another e-mail address for me to have to change, and the one major positive I've gotten out of my hated iMac is the MobileMe online gallery. Sounds like that's now dead.

No doubt expanding the cell provider reach is going to make this a hugely successful product for Apple, but it doesn't do much for me.

I halfway wonder if this was a "failed" product upgrade cycle for Apple. With Steve Jobs' health failing, is it possible that a major hardware upgrade lagged in development, causing the delay, until they finally had to draw a line in the sand and just go live with an incremental update? Sheer and uneducated speculation, I know, but....?????

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

IMO the PR flop was not doing anything to quell the wild rumors. But apparently Apple is known for this?

Anyway, it would be a bigger PR flop to call it an iPhone 5 with it being so similar to the 4. When the number changes, I'd expect a design overhaul. Not bumped specs in the same casing.

14. Jr Mouse

Actually the delay had been rumored for a long time as being due to part manufacturing issues relating to the "difficulties" they had in Japan recently. That always made sense to me. It wouldn't be like Apple was the only one who had to delay a product because of this.

15. Jr Mouse

Apple never comments on rumors, one way or the other.

16. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Now THIS looks interesting:

[​IMG]

17. Jr Mouse

4.6 inch screen. Way to big IMO. Phones shouldn't hit larger then 4 inches.

18. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

here's my nexus prime running ICE CREAM SANDWICH

i like all things google, but that naming is terrible

19. the shah

the shah Senior member

has this gold master stuff been posted already

Although it wasn't mentioned during the presentation, Apple just made iOS 5 GM available to developers. This
    Golden Master update is as close as it gets to the official release of iOS 5, which will happen on October 12th.
    You must use iTunes 10.5 beta 7 to install iOS 5 GM seed on your devices as the iOS 5 GM seed is not available

http://win7dl.com/main/operating-system/424601-apple-ios-5-golden-master.html
    http://anonymz.com/?http://www.apple.com/ios/
    http://win7dl.com/pda-and-mobile/424602-ios-5-gm-seed-9a334-itunes-105-beta-9-october-4-2011.html

20. javyn

javyn Senior member

+1, the size, the Retina display, and the seemingly cheap build quality of the Android phones in comparison is what made me buy the 4.