1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sonick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

don't know if this has been addressed here...dropped my iPhone4 yesterday, glass screen shattered on the front AND the back. Sure, 20-30 times stronger than the last? Now I gotta spend $100 to get new front and back fucking screens, or deal with a cracked phone.

Used to have an otterbox case, but the rubber outside kept getting stuck in my pockets making the phone a real bitch, so I took it off, figuring it wouldn't break, since apple claims the phone's glass was that much stronger. I'm very annoyed, and I know I'd hget no satisfaction from AT&T or Apple....just wanted to vent here.

2. jet

jet Senior member

So it's apple's fault for not making an indestructible phone to withstand your negligence?

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

So it's apple's fault for not making an indestructible phone to withstand your negligence?

No, but if a phone is advertised as "30 times stronger", and it falls 3 feet from your pocket to the ground, it probably shouldn't break. The problem was one of the more common complaints of the 3G and 3Gs, and when they "improve" it, and promote how much more indestructable it is, they should be held somewhat accountable.

4. breakz

breakz Senior member

No, but if a phone is advertised as "30 times stronger", and it falls 3 feet from your pocket to the ground, it probably shouldn't break. The problem was one of the more common complaints of the 3G and 3Gs, and when they "improve" it, and promote how much more indestructable it is, they should be held somewhat accountable.

Did your phone's corner hit the ground after the fall? If so, no type of glass will help you.

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Did your phone's corner hit the ground after the fall? If so, no type of glass will help you.

was just going to say this. shear strength on these types of materials is pretty weak, no matter the claims. if it dropped on a corner, at the right angle, you are screwed no matter what. their claim of "30x stronger" probably has something to do with some bullshit compressive or tensile strength.

6. breakz

breakz Senior member

compressive or tensile strength.
    Right, I think their promo video showed tensile strength. I mean, either way it's a phone with two glass plates. It could be 1000x stronger but glass is not flexible--if you drop it the wrong way, it will shatter. Just get a damn Bumper and be done with it.

7. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

5 more months [​IMG]

I just don't buy this. I know all the rumors are the iPhone 5 will not be due out until fall or later but I am not buying it. Apple is pretty good about hitting their production schedules, white iPhone aside. It is well known that they buy their components early to avoid manufacturing delays/shortages. I also think they have to keep on schedule to continue their dominance. With new Droid phones coming out monthly, Apple has to stay on the refresh every year plan to stay in the running.

Delaying the iPhone 5 will result in loss of market share. I just do not see Apple letting that happen. Rumors be damned!!!

8. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I just don't buy this. I know all the rumors are the iPhone 5 will not be due out until fall or later but I am not buying it. Apple is pretty good about hitting their production schedules, white iPhone aside. It is well known that they buy their components early to avoid manufacturing delays/shortages. I also think they have to keep on schedule to continue their dominance. With new Droid phones coming out monthly, Apple has to stay on the refresh every year plan to stay in the running.

Delaying the iPhone 5 will result in loss of market share. I just do not see Apple letting that happen. Rumors be damned!!!

if it was to be released next month, they probably would've showcased it already, so i actually believe it won't be released in june/july. if it's not released at WWDC, which i doubt, since it's more a developers conference, we won't see it until june/july

android has already surpassed the iphone in market share. actually, apple is only 3rd in the smartphone war. RIM is 2nd. what is impressive though is that the iphone has around 8% of smartphone sales, yet 25% of the total market share.

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

The delay is for real

10. breakz

breakz Senior member

The delay is for real

Right. The whole thing smells like a controlled leak--Apple is using media groups to prime their customers for a release (or, in this case, a non-release).

They did this for the Verizon iPhone in January (when the NYT, WSJ, and Bloomberg simultaneously reported it) and the iPad 2 in March (everyone reported a March release at the end of February).

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

it may be, but i genuinely believe the supply issues in japan. maybe i'm a sucker, but i know in my field, we are experiencing the same issues as apple has stated. totally different product, but it is a real problem.

12. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Should I get the iPhone 4 or wait for 5? I'm starting to doubt that the iPhone 5 will be much better.
    at this point there is no point in getting a 4

13. jet

jet Senior member

Hopefully the release will be in fall for a slightly updated iphone [​IMG]

14. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

it'll be updated enough that it's worth the wait. the camera, processor, etc. the screen will probably stay the same.

15. jet

jet Senior member

16. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Nothing that sounds ground breaking... If you look at their history, the iPhone 5 should be a minor upgrade while the iPhone 6 will be the next major release.
    then why did you ask the question? you are right in that it's not groundbreaking, but in my opinion, at this stage of the game, you may as well wait.

17. breakz

breakz Senior member

then why did you ask the question? you are right in that it's not groundbreaking, but in my opinion, at this stage of the game, you may as well wait.

I mean, you can fall into this perpetual waiting trap forever. "Oh, the 6 is only a few months away..."

If you need a phone now, buy it. The 5 won't be out for 4 months, rumors peg it as an incremental update (a bit faster, a screen that's 0.2" larger), and you'll still have to slog it out on your old phone for a while.

I used my iPhone 2G for almost 3 years. Waited until Christmas last year before I gave in and bought a 4. Same story for my laptop too--had a first-generation MacBook for 5 years, finally upgrade to a 13" Pro this year.

No regrets in either case (and if you DO regret it, well, you can sell on eBay for some $$).

18. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    It will be better. Simply because every generation was better than the one before that.

Are we still talking about phones?

19. jet

jet Senior member

I'm waiting for the iphone 9.

20. breakz

breakz Senior member

I'm waiting for the iphone 9.

Yeah dude, it's right around the corner. Rumors put the release at June 2016...just hang onto your 4 until then. [​IMG]