1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sonick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Its nice, but from a 3GS I am not sure if the upgrade is worth it... If only because you are then locked in for 2 years and hopefully an LTE phone will be out next year.

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Its nice, but from a 3GS I am not sure if the upgrade is worth it... If only because you are then locked in for 2 years and hopefully an LTE phone will be out next year.

The prob with LTE is that it isn't truly 4G...

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

The prob with LTE is that it isn't truly 4G...

Care to expand on that? My understanding is that LTE and WiMax are your two choices for 4G, they are relatively similar - similar enough that Sprint could switch over at a relatively low cost from WiMax.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Care to expand on that? My understanding is that LTE and WiMax are your two choices for 4G, they are relatively similar - similar enough that Sprint could switch over at a relatively low cost from WiMax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution

5. blairh

blairh Senior member

My iPhone 4 thoughts.......

* While roughly equal in weight to the 3GS the slimmer profile is a huge plus.

* Keeping the screen size at 3.5" is disappointing. I expected at least a bump up to 3.7".

* FaceTime looks great but wouldn't you rather have the same experience on your laptop? Personally almost every time I could do a FaceTime chat with someone I'd rather be doing it over Skype on my Macbook Pro.

* Still only 16 & 32 GB options? Ugh.

* AT&T is being generous for a reason with regards to current 3G owners with contracts running out in 2010. They want to lock you up for two more years knowing that competition will be fierce moving forward. Plus my gut says next summer a new iPhone will be released with a bigger screen and (possibly) 4G access.

With that established I'm most likely getting the white 16 GB model in August once it's been out in the market for a month and any initial problems have been reported and addressed (a common issue with new Apple products). I really love my 3G iPhone and if I can sell it for a solid price and just pay a little more for a nicer model, I don't see the reason why not to do so. Also I went and checked out an EVO. Yeah, that screen size is awesome but the colors, contrast, and brightness were only decent IMO. Also I worry about the battery life, I don't think I'll like the Android OS as much, and I've heard a lot of bad things about Sprint both coverage and CS wise.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

* Still only 16 & 32 GB options? Ugh.

+1 I really thought with the lowering of SSD memory prices the iPhone 4 would be available in 32 and 64 GB.

Don't bet on it. When the 3GS was supposed to be released, it was supposed to have a forward facing camera and a lot more features than it actually came out with (since it was only an upgraded version of the 3G). Thus, any thing you might be expecting, wait for it to come out a generation after next summers release.

7. blairh

blairh Senior member

+1 I really thought with the lowering of SSD memory prices the iPhone 4 would be available in 32 and 64 GB.

Don't bet on it. When the 3GS was supposed to be released, it was supposed to have a forward facing camera and a lot more features than it actually came out with (since it was only an upgraded version of the 3G). Thus, any thing you might be expecting, wait for it to come out a generation after next summers release.

Even a small upgrade to 24 & 40 GB would have been welcomed.

Well with 4G it really just depends on when it will be available on AT&T's network versus a hardware feature provided by Apple like a front facing camera.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Even a small upgrade to 24 & 40 GB would have been welcomed.

Although it IS Apple... watch them come out with a 32 and 64 GB version a few months from now.

9. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

i'm so psyched. my 1G EDGE iphone no longer gets reception at my house, and I need to fucking upgrade. Been waiting for this since they announced the 3GS, which IMO was a waste of an update

10. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I will be picking it up as soon as my iPod Touch breaks.

11. blairh

blairh Senior member

i'm so psyched. my 1G EDGE iphone no longer gets reception at my house, and I need to fucking upgrade. Been waiting for this since they announced the 3GS, which IMO was a waste of an update

Waste of an update is a bit harsh. I don't think many 3G owners updated to 3GS unless their contract was due or they just really had to have the latest iPhone.

If you consider 3GS was a speed bump vs. 3G and iPhone 4 has less to do with speed of web, in some ways 3GS was a bigger step forward. Again, in some ways.

That being said I think a lot of people in my camp (3G owner who can now upgrade due to AT&T allowing us to do so earlier than planned) will still do so.

12. breakz

breakz Senior member

Same here--I'm upgrading from an EDGE iPhone too.

Best way to go, IMO, is to only upgrade your iPhone every third generation. Every new generation brings small updates, but people buy them anyway bc they're made by Apple.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Countdown for Pre-order begins... I wonder if it'll be available at 12:00 est or sometime tomorrow morning?

14. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Im coming from 1Edge too.....this will be a major change. IMO every 3rd generation sounds about right...honestly to me the 3g and 3gs weren't too much different, just, well...3g.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Apple Store site was down several times and Apple's 800 number isn't taking any calls... WTF.

16. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Yeah, I've been trying on both Apple and ATT sites to pre-order. Both are a waste of time.

17. blairh

blairh Senior member

Unless you absolutely need to upgrade right now I say hold off a few weeks. The situation will be a clusterfuck at every AT&T and Apple store with people trying to get their hands on iPhone 4. Also the white model is unavailable for pre-order (which is the model I would get. I'm tired of the black model).

I have mixed feelings about upgrading. My 3G is less than a year old because Apple replaced it when my original iPhone stopped working. But I am eligible to get iPhone 4 because my contract runs out in October. I will probably bite the bullet once I get my hands on this thing and see how slim it is in person. But I'd also like to take a good look at the Droid X in person once it's released before I sign onto AT&T for 2 more years.

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Its officially a clusterfuck: http://gizmodo.com/5563909/apple-iph...yline=true&s=i

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I ended up going to my local AT&T store, where they took down my credit card utilizing the super high-tech method of carbon paper and writing down what features I wanted on a piece of paper. At this point I'd be happy if I get it on the 25th, to say nothing of the 24th.

BTW, neither the people at the Apple store nor At&T knew WTF was going on:

The Apple store told me the website said you could only do an in-store pickup, until I showed them on their own website it said you could order it for home delivery.

At AT&T the SA mentioned that the white iPhone was sold out... which is impossible since it isn't available for pre-order...

Just full of FAIL. [​IMG]

19. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

As we all know, Apple is infallible. Hence, all these complaints are the result of lies or user error.

20. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

I ended up going to my local AT&T store, where they took down my credit card utilizing the super high-tech method of carbon paper and writing down what features I wanted on a piece of paper.

Helllooooooo dumpster diving. [​IMG]