1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sonick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

What are the details on this, Slim?
    Here http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/29/snow-...r-than-before/ Technically, I suppose it was an un-corruption. But still... [​IMG] It changed the way computers have been reporting HDD space for... well... forever. The space itself didn't change, just the measurement.

2. breakz

breakz Senior member

This is why a GB of RAM reads as 1024MB
    On a PC, a 100GB drive reads as 93GB.
    On a Mac a 100GB drive reads as 100GB

I'm familiar with the memory measurement issue on computers, but I'm embarrassed about missing the conversion from binary to decimal. That's shady stuff--didn't know about it.

I still remember that when Snow Leopard came out journalists were reporting they had "freed up to 7GB of memory!!" [​IMG]

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I still remember that when Snow Leopard came out journalists were reporting they had "freed up to 7GB of memory!!" [​IMG]
    One delightful change: Snow Leopard takes up less than half the room on a hard disk that Leopard did, and Apple says the average user who upgrades will free up about 7 gigabytes of space. On my 2008-vintage MacBook Pro, I gained back a whopping 14 gigabytes.
    ^ [​IMG] ...and yes, before anyone jumps on my case - I used "PC" to mean a Windows based PC, though it could also mean pre- Snow Leopard Macs and a few other OS'es. I think Linux also reports in Base 10, but I'm not positive. Sorry. If you'll notice, I edited my entire post. Nobody's perfect.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    You can think what you want, but you are wrong [​IMG]
    Your position doesn't make sense. Everything is a stop gap upgrage to technology that is years away.

Yes, in the future. It's two years away from even being available, and like current LTE - who knows how long it will be until it reaches it's promised speeds. Current industy estimates are 5-8 years... LTE and WiMAX aren't much, if any faster than HSPA+ RIGHT NOW. In fact, T-Mobile's HSPA+ has proven faster than Sprint 4G WiMax in independant testing and negligably slower than LTE. It's probable that HSPA+ will be faster than WiMax and even with LTE for the next four or five years.

As of a couple weeks ago, they are. Before that - nobody was. Real 4G is still years away from existing here.

Not sure if you are just playing contrarian or not, but I will try and explain my issue with this again.

HSPA+ is an upgrade upon the 3G network. It's pretty much a dead end technology. Once LTE is deployed they won't keep upgrading it. LTE is the future here in the US. Three of the major carriers are backing it and their has been hints that Sprint may be open to it instead of putting all their eggs in the WiMax basket. Again, if they want to call HSPA+ 3.5G or whatever, that's fine, but it is not a new generation of network technology. Calling it a 4G network is misleading.

LTE in it's current form as being deployed may not be at it's full potential yet, but it is a new generation network. HSPA+ may currently be able to reach or slightly beat it in certain circumstances, but that's irrelevant. LTE Advanced will be built upon the currently being deployed LTE network. Even if LTE's speeds don't match what was originally called for with a "4G" network, it will be there in the future with LTE Advanced.

It's great that ATT is upgrading their networks and HSPA+ will be a nice boon to their customers. I'm an ATT customer and I look forward to the day I will be able to get an iPhone with HSPA+ built in even if LTE is not mature enough. My issue is simply with the fact ATT is choosing to call HSPA+ 4G.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Not sure if you are just playing contrarian or not, but I will try and explain my issue with this again. HSPA+ is an upgrade upon the 3G network. It's pretty much a dead end technology. Once LTE is deployed they won't keep upgrading it. LTE is the future here in the US. Three of the major carriers are backing it and their has been hints that Sprint may be open to it instead of putting all their eggs in the WiMax basket. Again, if they want to call HSPA+ 3.5G or whatever, that's fine, but it is not a new generation of network technology. Calling it a 4G network is misleading.
    4G isn't what you think it is then, because HSPA+ is just as "4G" as LTE. Neither are technically 4G by the old definition. They are both well above 3G performance. HSPA+ is currently, and for the foreseeable near future, is the more capable network. The only benefit of LTE over HSPA+ right now is the promise of potential performance increases past the potential performance increases of HSPA+, and that sometime in the future, they may upgrade the system. But they aren't planning to do that for years. You may be misleading yourself.
    You didn't read anything I wrote. It being a "new generation network" is what's largely irrelevant. HSPA+ is a new generation network too. That has nothing to do with being 4G. 4G is a rating granted by a committee - that up until last month - nobody came close to meeting the conditions of. Not a technological definition of new hardware. And when the rating standard was lowered, LTE, WiMAX, and HSPA+ all became 4G. You cannot claim LTE is 4G and not the others. They either all are, or none of them are. HSPA+ is (theory aside) just as fast as LTE, and will be for a while. It just happens to use the same packet protocol and bandwidth as the old system. It's not like they just added a stick of RAM and said, "Bam, now it's faster!". You are arguing that the promise of theoretical increased future performance is more "official" than actual performance, which is, in your argument, irrelevant.
    They didn't "decide to" do anything. HSPA+ officially became 4G last month. Before that, they were pretty adamant that the other companies calling their services 4G were misleading people. They were calling their system 3.5G for a while. Then the standards were lowered, making their system officially 4G. They changed their marketing to reflect this. They'd be idiots not to.

6. dr.no

dr.no Senior member

7. Jr Mouse

4G isn't what you think it is then, because HSPA+ is just as "4G" as LTE

4G = 4th generation wireless network technology. Much like when we went from 2G to 3G, it should be a label used for major leap to a new wireless technology.

HSPA+ = upgraded 3G network technology that is on the last of its legs.

LTE = Next generation network technology that already has a planned major upgrade in the works.

What they are doing with HSPA+ reminds me a lot of the 2.5G stop gap that was available before 3G was fully deployed.

They didn't "decide to" HSPA+ became 4G last month.
    They changed their marketing to reflect this.

Just because they gave in and decided to label HSPA+ 4G to please two of the carriers marketing departments does not make it right or any less misleading at the end of the day.

8. Jr Mouse

Verizon announced today iPhone 4 launching 2/10, but on 3G [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/iphone.jsp

Will the iPhone work on Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network?
    iPhone 4 works on Verizon Wireless' 3G network.

Yes, it's just a CDMA iPhone 4. No other changes. We won't see an LTE iPhone till iPhone 5 or 6. If I was a better man, based on how conservative Apple is in these areas and the need for major feature creeps every two years, it won't happen till iPhone 6.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

4G = 4th generation wireless network technology. Much like when we went from 2G to 3G, it should be a label used for major leap to a new wireless technology.
    But it's not. Not in the way you are using it. You are mistaken. THIS is misleading. 4G is a rating given to a system that meets a set of performance benchmarks by a committee. They don't give a shit if you use the equivalent of a string and two cans to meet these benchmarks, as long as you meet them. It really has nothing to do with new technology.

10. dcg

dcg Senior member

Interesting that LTE actually stands for something. Since VZW never explains it in their commercials, I always figured it was just three random bullshit letters they tacked on to the end of "4G" to make themselves seem special (kind of like "Trail Rated" or "THX certified").

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Yes, it's just a CDMA iPhone 4. No other changes. We won't see an LTE iPhone till iPhone 5 or 6. If I was a better man, based on how conservative Apple is in these areas and the need for major feature creeps every two years, it won't happen till iPhone 6.

agree with the 5 or 6 before LTE.

however, the free hotspot for other devices is very nice. don't need a MiFi or 3G ipad anymore.

12. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

yeah. I'm ordering one for myself, and seeing if I can get an early upgrade for the old man, who's been with VZW for a long, long time (aka since the moto startac). His upgrade is eligible on march 21st, so maybe I can get them to budge a month and a half.

13. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

So when is the iPhone 5 coming out? My 3GS is on its last leg...

14. Jr Mouse

agree with the 5 or 6 before LTE. however, the free hotspot for other devices is very nice. don't need a MiFi or 3G ipad anymore.
    Is it FREE? I know they are allowing it to be a mobile hotspot for 5 devices, but I was under the impression they would be adding an extra charge for this? I wouldn't get a CDMA iPhone anyways. I use simultaneousness voice and data on my ATT iPhone all the time and not having it is a deal breaker for me. Tokyo Slim, I will get to your points a little later when I have time. EDIT: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/v...obile-hotspot/ Yep, not free. Check out the screen grab.

15. Jr Mouse

So when is the iPhone 5 coming out? My 3GS is on its last leg...

This summer. Apple releases a new "next generation" iPhone every year around the same time. I honestly don't expect the iPhone 5 to be much more then a tweaked and slightly upgraded iPhone 4, much like the 3GS was to the 3G. We won't see the next big leap till iPhone 6.

16. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Tokyo Slim, I will get to your points a little later when I have time.

You don't have to. There really isn't anything more you can say. [​IMG]

17. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

What do you think about the Windows 7 Phone?

18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

What do you think about the Windows 7 Phone?
    I haven't really played with one for more than about 2 seconds at the MS store. Nobody I know has one. I'm pretty happy with my Nexus One still.

19. Jr Mouse

Jackass. [​IMG]

20. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Jackass. [​IMG]

Jackass is a rating system given to me by you for fulfilling your performance requirements of being correct AND smug. [​IMG]