Official new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sonick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Had mine for a couple of months. I have had the proximity issue as well as the death grip. The phone sucks but everything else is awesome! [​IMG] As for the battery life-take it back. The battery is great. I get a full day out of it, with about 25% remaining by the end of the day. I am a very high user-games, music,a lot of email, two phone numbers running to the same phone, some streaming, etc.

2. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Just upgraded to 4.1. Anyone taken any HDR photos yet?

3. holymadness

Nevermind, just tried this myself. Elements appear to be crisper but the colour is a bit washed out. Overall, I'd say it's an improvement. Normal.......................................................................................................................HDR [​IMG]...[​IMG]

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

It's subtle enough that I don't hate it.

5. holymadness

Surprise announcement, Apple is relaxing restrictions on developer tools for creating apps and will be publishing guidelines for its app approval process. Should increase accessibility and transparency, notably for those who used adobe's compiler to make their apps. I wonder if Apple is feeling the heat from Android. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...statement.html

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'm not on AT&T, I'm with a French operator. However, while reception and signal strength seem to be excellent, the entire company is staffed by morons.

Just like At&t.

7. breakz

breakz Senior member

Surprise announcement, Apple is relaxing restrictions on developer tools for creating apps and will be publishing guidelines for its app approval process. Should increase accessibility and transparency, notably for those who used adobe's compiler to make their apps. I wonder if Apple is feeling the heat from Android. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...statement.html
    This is big news. The one complaint against the App Store has been it's opaque review process. Glad to see Apple actually listens. There's no way they're feeling the heat from Android, though. The Android Market has so many problems to overcome right now.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

There's no way they're feeling the heat from Android, though. The Android Market has so many problems to overcome right now.

+1. Android suffers from the same old UNIX balkanization that's been around for decades.

--Andre

9. holymadness

Decided to take a walk today and test the camera a little more thoroughly. Above: normal Below: HDR [​IMG] [​IMG] Here we see that the HDR picture, despite adding definition to the clouds and evening out the blue of the sky, actually bleeds colour from the rest of the photo, especially the grass and the brick. The normal is superior in my mind. [​IMG] [​IMG] Here's an interesting case. At first blush, the HDR photo is far superior: colours are more vivid, the sky isn't just a white splotch, and the excess shadows are gone. However, look at the two men. In the second picture, they've doubled up. This is because they were moving when the photo was taken, but in HDR mode two (or three) photos are taken in rapid succession and then merged. Unfortunately, the capture isn't instantaneous so any movement in the frame leads to stuttering and artifacts. Pity. [​IMG] [​IMG] This one's a question of taste. The normal photo is more saturated, with deeper and richer colours, but lacks the detail of the HDR version, which brings out the highlights in shadowy areas. Both are nice, though my preference is for the colour of the former. In Conclusion: 1. HDR is useless for action shots. 2. It will also either add or remove colour depending on the lighting, so it's really just a question of knowing when to use it (I still don't). 3. It's practically a given that the sky will look much, much better in an HDR photo.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^It's good to see the comparison between normal and HDR. Thanks for doing this.

11. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

HolyM,

Are those pictures displayed in their normal size?

Just curious.

12. holymadness

No, the real pics are massive: 2529 x 1936 pixels at 72 dpi. They run about 2mb each in size.

I reduced these to 640x480 for the forum.

13. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

No, the real pics are massive: 2529 x 1936 pixels at 72 dpi. They run about 2mb each in size.

I reduced these to 640x480 for the forum.

Got it, thx. Those don't look half bad. May get one when my phone dies.

14. holymadness

This is pretty cool. I just found an app called Zumocast which streams any media (videos, songs, documents) to your iphone/ipad via wifi or 3g. All you need to do is install the app, download and install the program to your computer, and create an account. All the media stays on your computer so there is no conversion or uploading required. And having tested it over wifi, the quality is superb and there is no lag or stuttering during play. App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appadvice/id386461020 Website: https://www.zumocast.com/files IN THE INTEREST OF FULL DISCLOSURE: 1. The app is free and has no ads, which leads me to believe that it will soon be either ad-supported or split into paid and free versions (which may already be taking place), or both. For the moment, however, the free version has 100% functionality. 2. The privacy policy is a bit sketchy. To wit:
    I figure it's entirely possible they may be giving/selling this to third parties. So use at your own risk if you value your privacy.

15. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

i'm trying zumocast out right now. it will convert to 29.95 a year but there's some referral plan for a freebie. i used my dummy info to sign up for it. the interface/app is really clean and it's way smoother than subsonic.