Official new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sonick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Jailbreak came out last night. Finally, this thing is no longer a useless brick. You can jailbreak here. By the way, for anyone who is suspicious, it is fully legal.

2. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/...red/index.html

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

There are new reports of it coming with an all metal back and the antenna inside instead of the glass/outside antenna.

4. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I'm getting pretty irritated with my iPhone. They should call it the iPwn, because I'm starting to feel like Steve Jobs has pwned me out of a couple hundred bucks.

Having owned this now for a few months, I can state unequivocally that this phone has poorer reception than my old iPhone 3G. I drop calls all the time. I get fewer bars in places where I used to have plenty of reception. I have to stand up and go outside, or move around, to make calls in places where I never had a problem before. This is even observable with the phone sitting on a table, with nobody touching it.

The "screen proximity" issue or whatever they call it also continues to be an issue. I simply cannot cradle the phone between my cheek and shoulder without hanging up, muting the call, or putting it on speakerphone. I hear that others have raised this issue, and that Apple is aware of it, but I don't know if the fix is in the hardware or the software.

The issue that has pushed me over the edge now, however, is that my camera simply does not work. When I go into camera mode, I simply get an image of a closed shutter. It never opens. I have googled, and I am not alone in reporting this issue.

One of the highlights of the advanced functionality of the iPhone 4 for me was the improved camera resolution and quality, and great video capabilities. Stripped of this, the phone is worth considerably less.

I know now I will have to try to return it, and I will likely be rebuffed the first time around as the geniuses at the Genius Bar will make me do a system restore (e.g. total PITA) first, which is likely to work at first, but I wonder for how long.

Ugh. And so now I have to make an appointment and drive to the f*cking mall. Double ugh.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

With all those problems there should be no issue in getting it replaced free of charge. Keep us updated on how it goes.

6. Douglas

Yep, they replaced it. New iPhone charging on my desk now. First call I received, while I was still at the mall, dropped. [​IMG] Anyways, at least I got a new phone, and the camera works. Yay! Now to buy the full-body Invisible Shield.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Yep, they replaced it. New iPhone charging on my desk now. First call I received, while I was still at the mall, dropped. [​IMG] Anyways, at least I got a new phone, and the camera works. Yay! Now to buy the full-body Invisible Shield.
    Great. Are they giving bumpers when you buy the phone now or do you still have to download that ridiculous app and apply for it that way?

8. Douglas

They said they were out of them in the store, and I did not pursue it any farther than that.

9. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

Our three iPhones ( all iPhone 4) all are working terrific. Sorry to hear your having issues with yours.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

They said they were out of them in the store, and I did not pursue it any farther than that.
    You're going to pass up a free case???

11. Douglas

I hate cases.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Our three iPhones ( all iPhone 4) all are working terrific. Sorry to hear your having issues with yours.

I hate cases.

+1, +1

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I hate cases.
    +1. I haven't always, but as of late I've decided that I hate them. No more cases for me.

14. wesley_k

wesley_k New Member

I hate cases too, makes the phone bigger then it even already is.

15. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

I actually don't mind the Bumper and I normally hate any kind of case. It gives some extra grip so it doesnt feel like its going to slip out of my hads. For some reason I thought the entire bumper was going to be all rubber since I heard people say it was basically a giant rubber band but it actually has a shiny piece of plastic in the center. For free its worth it I beleive.