• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
I'm going to ask this out of pure ignorance on my part: Why is jailbreaking your iPhone so necessary? What are the benefits?

Please avoid a snarky response (if possible. this is SF). I'm asking this out of pure ignorance, as previously stated. Thank you.

If my mind serves me well without going through the thread again he's not a customer of the service provider the phone is net locked to. Therefore he needs a jailbreak to use another provider's sim card.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Godamn noobs. Jailbreaking has nothing to do with who your service provider is.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I know, you can also run stuff that Apple doesn't allow (free tethering, heared there's a flash app, etc.) but I thought to remember one of your reasons was the net lock. <insert random insult in return>

blairh

Reaction score

Tell us why you are dying to jailbreak then.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've posted several times about why a jailbreak is essential and why an iPhone is useless to me without one. Do a search if you are really interested.

blairh

Reaction score
I've posted several times about why a jailbreak is essential and why an iPhone is useless to me without one. Do a search if you are really interested.

From you....

"I jailbroke it. A good decision overall, just for 3rd party apps.

I will also unlock it today for my Asia trip. It will be nice to take it with me as an mp3 player and a phone as well. Cheap local SIM card service FTW."

So are you jonesing to jailbreak because you are going to travel? Really need those third party apps asap? I'm curious as to why it's driving you so crazy.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Search harder. That's not the post I was referring to. I'm not at my computer so I can't type out a full post. Look if you like the iPhone as is, don't worry about it. My personal opinion is that the phone is ten times less useful without, but ymmv.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love that the "Case Program" app is not only not available through the in-phone App Store, but there's no mention of it anywhere on the front page of iTunes. Trying to be less reactionary as I get older but I'm turning into Tokyo Slim-lite here.

blairh

Reaction score
It is available through the in-phone App Store. I just double checked.

I wanted a white bumper so I'm a bit annoyed. But it's only for the gym so whatevs.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I need to apply the update. It's not showing up on the front page or via searching, though I was able to grab it off iTunes. Wanted the black one, but the 5-6 week wait is unacceptable.

blairh

Reaction score
I'm running 4.0.1 on my 3G and it shows up with a search.

The wait is ridiculous. Luckily I have a leather pouch case that will sub in the meantime.

I also feel bad for people who updated to 4.0 and 4.0.1 who are still using the 3G model. For most 3G owners it slows everything down. As seen in this video.

If it takes 5 weeks for me to get the free bumper than one month later a fixed antenna iPhone model will probably be out come September 30th. Sometimes in life you just gotta laugh.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought it was pretty cool to see the Iphone Case app this morning. Got my bumper ordered. Don't really need it since I don't like cases but will be nice to have just in case.

MarcInDentonTx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
mine works fine

Ditto. Ordered the black bumper before "The Program" started. Got an email telling me the charge would be reversed. AmEx says it was. Got the bumper. No complaints.

blairh

Reaction score
Got my IP4 today. Couldn't hold out on the white model any longer plus I was starting to have my doubts about the color.

I'm very very impressed. Especially coming from the 3G model. My phone has the antenna issue but I'll just try my best to avoid touching that spot. Already ordered my free bumper for the gym.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My free bumper shipped today. I guess they are shipping them early?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads