Official new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sonick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Did you read my posts? It is obvious that this phone does not receive the same signal as well as my iPhone 3G. That's all I'm saying. We can get into a silly argument about how it must be where I am located blah blah blah but I had one phone, now I have another, same service plan, same service provider, same places, one phone was better than the other. My location has nothing to do with it.

I ask because some areas apparently have specific problems with the iPhone 4's reception algorithm.

2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

As far as I've read, the "reception algorithm" problem relates not to signal strength but rather to reporting of the signal strength. And it overstates the signal strength, as opposed to understating it.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

As far as I've read, the "reception algorithm" problem relates not to signal strength but rather to reporting of the signal strength. And it overstates the signal strength, as opposed to understating it.
    It's apparently two different problems: 1) Signal strength representation, which may or may not be linked to the left-hand corner problem 2) Reception algorithm trying to capture the best signal (and may be connected with one's location)

4. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

It's apparently two different problems: 1) Signal strength representation, which may or may not be linked to the left-hand corner problem 2) Reception algorithm trying to capture the best signal (and may be connected with one's location)
    See below.
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._iphone_4.html

5. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Apple Admits iPhone 4 Reception Woes Are Hardware-Related

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20066...rerelated.html

Until an official release is made by Apple, you shouldn't trust Gizmodo, they are pissed at Apple after being spurned by them due to the whole iPhone 4 prototype fiasco.

That line, and several other have already been debunked as fake, and not coming from Steve Jobs. No one is saying the phone doesn't have problems, but the extent of the problems is from my personal and the experience of friends who own the phone, greatly exaggerated.

7. blairh

blairh Senior member

I'm not an idiot. The cradle does not cover the lower left spot. It grasps the phone at two points - the plug at the bottom center and a plastic, nonconductive clip at the top center.

Go fuck yourself. I was only trying to help.

With that established, you can either try to swap your iPhone with a new one or simply deal with it. I seriously doubt any software updates are going to affect the issue you are having.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Consumer Reports came out and said they aren't recommending the iPhone any longer due to the reception issue. I don't know why the fuck they recommended it without testing it in the first place though.

9. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Hype is a hell of a drug.

10. Douglas

Go fuck yourself.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Douglas

Until an official release is made by Apple, you shouldn't trust Gizmodo, they are pissed at Apple after being spurned by them due to the whole iPhone 4 prototype fiasco.
    [​IMG] What do you mean "spurned?" Why should you not "trust" Gizmodo? How was the fiasco anything but Apple's? They got their hands on a phone, they reported it was the next gen phone, and they were absolutely correct. Sure, Apple tried to sue them and get the phone back. They got the phone back. You're arguing that because a journalistic outfit got the story right, in spite of the manufacturer's efforts to impede and/or block the story, that that's a reason not to trust them? LOL.
    Unfortunately for Apple and their devoted disciples, the "Just avoid holding it in that way" line has not been debunked.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

[​IMG] What do you mean "spurned?" Why should you not "trust" Gizmodo? How was the fiasco anything but Apple's? They got their hands on a phone, they reported it was the next gen phone, and they were absolutely correct. Sure, Apple tried to sue them and get the phone back. They got the phone back. You're arguing that because a journalistic outfit got the story right, in spite of the manufacturer's efforts to impede and/or block the story, that that's a reason not to trust them? LOL.

Um, no. After the whole prototype fiasco, Apple denied them an advanced preview of the iPhone 4, which other journalists got. I guess the denial and the prior prototype fiasco just pissed Gizmodo enough that they got back at Apple the best way they know how: over-exagerated bad press.

I know. [​IMG] Great PR, Steve.

13. bkk

bkk Senior member

Hype is a hell of a drug.

Strangely enough, there has been both positive and negative hype for this product.

14. B Hamilton

B Hamilton Senior member

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Seems that Apple is deleting mention of the Consumer Reports downgrade from their forums.