1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sonick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

you always get a refurb, but no sweat. Mine was replaced and hasn't messed up on me

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

New

They aren't doing refurbs on the 4S's any longer. Apparently.

3. oneeightyseven

I guess their policy must have changed since I got mine replaced (was before the 4S even came out lol)

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i had googled that earlier then i saw that it was $2 just so i could wake up to an actual song

then i said what the hay and looked it up on cydia and it appears there's a free version

so i guess thanks

fuuu. nevermind. it's still 2 dollars

fuuuuuu. i've clicked the first 20 results and nothing. this thread actually is the seventh thing that pops. this is ridiculous

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. blairh

blairh Senior member

I believe their policy is still refurb replacements if you are under warranty. That happened to me a few years back with the 3G iPhone and I see people still talking about it on the MacRumors forum. They probably only give you a new iPhone under a set of specific circumstances.

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

The time you've spent looking has to be worth more than the money you're trying to save.

7. oneeightyseven

indesertum - you can just create your own ringtones and set that as the theme for your alarm. only thing is theyre only 30seconds long. thats wht i do

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah i might just do ringtones.

i give up

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

God damn it I miss my jailbreak. Now that I have to keep jumping in and out of settings its such a fucking pain. And Grid Tab is the best thing to happen to safari.

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    anyone have any non-jailbreak advice for using an ATT iphone in europe? anyone used the temporary international plan?

11. blairh

blairh Senior member

When I went to Italy last summer for a month I signed up for an international data and text plan. I believe there is one too for calls. I did it at the store and the rep screwed up. (She was pretty dense. I realized her error once I got my bill after returning.) If you use their website to pay your bill, then you can easily look at your options and add what you deem best. (And delete when you return.)

If by chance your contract has expired, you can get an approved unlock from AT&T and use a local sim card in Italy.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    thanks! yeah, it's funny. it's really hard thinking about not being able to use my iphone. i've gotten really spoiled, particularly with mapping.

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

I've used this when I've gone to Germany and England, and it's really one of the great features of AT&T. Get the myAT&T app or login in online to your wireless account to set it up. For my trips, which were only a week long, I've activated the following features:

- Standard International Roaming (free, and slightly lower costs, but I have a calling card so this doesn't matter to me)
    - Global Messaging 50 ($10, 50 text messages/month)
    - 125 MB Global Data Add-On ($50)

This is all a la carte per month, so like blairh mentions, you can cancel when you get home, and some of the options are pro-rated, too. I usually wait a few days to a week after getting back to cancel in case the foreign carrier is late forwarding phone usage to AT&T.

Figure out how much data you use a month to see how much data you'll need. I typically use 250ish MB/month, but I used almost all of my global data in a week because I was uploading pictures and other vacation stuff.

Reset your counters in Settings->General->Usage->Cellular Usage as soon as you land so you can keep track of your data usage. You will need to add your received and sent data numbers since they both count towards your limit.

Try to use Wi-Fi as much as possible (if you trust public WiFi). If your hotel room has wired Ethernet, you can carry a little wireless router with you to set up a secure WiFi network. I use an old Airport Express for this.

Disable push email so you don't eat up all your bandwidth accidentally.

You can also disable international roaming if you don't want to be called while there. Messaging covers texts from any number, US or otherwise, and data is data.

AT&T actually has a decent page on this (and most of this stuff is mentioned there): http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/i...?wtSlotClick=1-0044ID-0-2&WT.svl=calltoaction

Also, as blairh mentions, the best thing is to get a local sim card, but if you're still on contract with AT&T, they won't unlock your phone so you cannot use a non-AT&T sim card. Don't forget to bring your sim tool if you do this, and these are easy to get in any cell shop or the airport. Heathrow had vending machines for these things even before you reach immigration!

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  14. Johncareter

Johncareter Member

I like my iphone4.I have heard about iphone5 that it's features are nit good.Is anyone tell Me about iphone5's features.