**Official Kansas City Thread**

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Pilot, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

I'm not the biggest BBQ fan to begin with (*runs and hides*) we have some decent BBQ down in Arkansas though.

I'll be traveling with the GF up there so we will probably make a mini trip out of it and stay the night. I'll be sure to check out one of those places.

Not a good place for you then. hahahaha. The local beer is boulevard. Try the wheat with a piece of orange. McCoy's in Westport also has a micro brewery, if you are in that area. Go for the raspberry wheat there.

2. Prada_Ferragamo

If you like prime rib. Hereford House and Pierpont's are the places to go. Remember people in Kansas City take pride in their beef.

3. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Remember people in Kansas City take pride in their beef.

Then I know I'll like it. Boulevard makes good stuff. I have tried pretty much all of their Smoke Stack series. Very good stuff. Thanks for the food recs.

Cheap hotel in a good area?

4. Prada_Ferragamo

Where is your interview?

5. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Where is your interview?

It's at Kansas City International Airport.

6. Prada_Ferragamo

The plaza and downtown has your offers of hotels. The embassy suite is by the plaza so is the Q.

7. Prada_Ferragamo

It's at Kansas City International Airport.

That's the downtown airport right? Not MCI

8. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

That's the downtown airport right? Not MCI
    North of the city. Not the Downtown airport. It's about 25 min from the city. Yes MCI

9. Prada_Ferragamo

Ahhh. There are a few hotels right by the airport, if you want to stay close by. Otherwise I recommend the plaza, and highway 71 is close by which takes you to MCI

10. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Ahhh. There are a few hotels right by the airport, if you want to stay close by. Otherwise I recommend the plaza, and highway 71 is close by which takes you to MCI

Interview is in the afternoon I would drive straight up and go to the interview. So Hotel location isn't too big of a deal. Would be going downtown for the night. Going to look at stuff on the south side of the city so it would be a shorter drive home the day after.

11. Prada_Ferragamo

In that case I would recommend hotels on and around the plaza.

12. mainy

mainy Senior member

Yesss, i guess someone else knows about the nice deals at the crown center halls. Just when one of their staff asks to help you say "No thanks".. Last time I was in they were trying to get me into a jacket about two sizes too big.

Ive found the plaza staff to be much more knowledgeable and helpful.

Yeah the crown center staff is pretty chill, there is an older gentleman over on the suit side who knows what's up, I will go in on weekday afternoons when I have time to kill and just BS with them, the place is always dead on weekdays. I really try to avoid going into the plaza store, most of the stuffI want to look at is in the lower basement level and I just feel like a douchebag going down there [​IMG] They try way too hard to make that place 'cool'.

13. mainy

mainy Senior member

Make sure you grab some BBQ while you are here. Arthur Bryant's for the name, but LC's for the taste.

Oklahoma Joe's is overrated and Gates is dirty.

I used to be a big OK joes guy but lately it's been LC's or nothing for me. I have never got the Bryants hype, one of my friends is obsessed with that place and I just don't get it

14. Prada_Ferragamo

LC is freaking delicious. I found out about the place through an article in Esquire a year ago. It's burnt ends and ribs are out of this world. Arthur Bryant's used to be good when I first moved here about 6 years ago. Now the prices have gone up and the quality has gone done.

I think OK Joe's BBQ for white people. No offense there.

There is a place called smokehouse bbq off Wornall and 81st, not sure if it's still there or not.

I will never go back to Gates again after seeing someone dropped a brisket on the floor, picked it up, and threw it back in the smoker.

15. Prada_Ferragamo

Also the wings at LC's. I have never tasted BBQ wings that good before.