1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL: iPad 2.0 Apps You Must Have Apps

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So I will admit it. I'm wondering wtf to do with my iPad. I got the $15 Quick Office app and I like that (basically, lets you do Office stuff). Thought I was going to be able to view my security cameras at work remotely but found that due to the vast number of my cameras and that they run to DVRs need a big enterprise deployment so that's off the books.

So, apps to make the iPad either fun or productive. Free is always best.

Oh, love, love, love CellarVu, which hooks into my Cellar Tracker and gives a graphical look at my cellar.+

2. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

Garageband is killer.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Flipboard Yelp Flight Control HD (best for playing at airports [​IMG] )

4. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

VPlayerHD - awesome app to view any type of video, like torrented tv episodes, with a fairly slick Wi-Fi upload feature.

Google - nice alternative to using safari.

UNESCO World Picture Viewer

Instapaper

5. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Dropbox.

Epocrates.

Medscape.

Evernote.

Citrix

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Which is the best texting app?

7. Logan

Logan Senior member

I was thinking about this tonight during dinner. Can you use the iPad to text if you have a 3G connection? I thought you needed a phone number for that?

8. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

I was thinking about this tonight during dinner. Can you use the iPad to text if you have a 3G connection? I thought you needed a phone number for that?

Not sure how Google Voice interacts with iPad, but if it mimics the iphone you should be able to.

There are also a bunch of IM apps that use data to transmit texts/IM's...I use Kik.

As for must have apps for me...at the moment, I'm learning guitar so there are two that are invaluable to me...GuitarChord (has fingering for every chord) and Ultimate-guitar.com's "tabs" app which has tabulature to every popular song you can think of.

Others I use every day:

-Flipboard
    -CNN
    -Pulse
    -SiriusXM
    -Netflix
    -Dropbox
    -Citrix

9. djlukin

djlukin Well-Known Member

Netflix.

Livestrong.

Bodybuilding.com.

ESPN scorecenter

10. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

economist nytimes etc. then add a few free games here and there.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Just downloaded text plus for texting, and skype as well. So now I can text and call from this thing.

Also, I have to say that the ebook is a pretty killer app for the iPad. You can put a whole library on this little thing and it's even easier to use than an actual book. If I only had this thing when I was a student....

I use nook but kindle and iBooks should be good too.

12. .bishop

.bishop Senior member

I am in sales - and for all my different accounts and meetings i go to I use Penultimate.

13. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Galaxy on Fire 2 and Infinity Blade are pretty cool games.

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

Sword & Sworcery is an awesome iPad game unless you hate hipsters. I just saw they released an iPhone/iPod version, too.

Bing for the iPad is surprisingly good --- it's a good landing page app for looking at everything in the morning: weather, stocks, news, etc. And you get a little taste of the Windows 7 phone GUI, too.

--Andre

15. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

i also really like flight control. it's pretty fun

16. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Mercury - awesome, fullf0eature safari alternative

Friendly - facebook app. Why does facebook not have an official ipad app?

17. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Tapatalk is pretty amazing. Browsing the forum on my phone is now a delight rather than a chore.

I consider all-around essential apps to be:

Instapaper
    Simplenote (with companion desktop software such as Resophnotes for PC)
    Smartr
    Dropbox
    Reeder
    Wikipanion
    Mint.com
    OnTheFly

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Piob - how do you find the interaction between the iPad and your Android phone? On the non-native aps, does data flow well between the two devices or are there hiccups?

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I use SportsTap to follow games - it's very uncluttered and you can easily set up alerts for certain teams or sports/games.

20. JRM

JRM Active Member

Am thinking of getting an Ipad but I wanted to see if anyone has any idea on how to do the following or if anyone has tried this before.

- I currently log into my work laptop from my home PC by using a VPN client(Nortel Networks Contivity client) to log on to my company's network and then running Microsoft Terminal Services Client(MSTSC) to access my work laptop. I would like to do the same or similar with the Ipad.

I have seen that there is a Remote Desktop app for IPAD that is similar to MSTSC but is there a VPN client available(or built in) for Ipad? I have seen on some blogs stating that there is a VPN setting built-in for Ipads? Anyone heard of this or doing this?

much thanks
    - JR