• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Houston Food/Drink/Shopping/Culture Thread

dsoren

Reaction score
I figured that there's a decent amount of people from the fourth largest city in the country on here. Let's see if we can start a little official thread to discuss Houston happenings.

Last night I went to The Grove at Discovery Green. They went through a down period after Randy Perra left to open Revival Market, but they have been killing it lately. Ambiance is fantastic, but the food is better and better every time I go. The daily fish in parchment is one of the best dishes I have ever had in my life. Last night it was snapper - they wrap it in parchment paper with potatoes, lots of herbs, some olive oil, kosher solt, and some sauvignon blanc and bake it in the oven for 15 min or so. The flavor is unreal, the fish straight up melts in your mouth. Also had some sort of qual appetizer that was amazing.

In other news, Black Hole opened in SoMo recently. Coffee is not on par with Catalina Coffee, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Ambiance is fantastic, fast wifi, lots of plugs, and really good sandwiches.

Oh, and shopping wise, MORTAR keeps getting better and better. They are bringing in some killer stuff for Spring/Summer. Recently got a ton of Burkman Bros., Riviera Club, and WWM. Nice stuff.

Contribute away...

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at the Grove on Thursday night, really enjoy that spot. This week we ate at Philippe on Monday night and Friday night. That might be my new favorite restaurant. Really like the ambience and the service is top notch. Food ain't bad either.
smile.gif
Had lunch at my wife's favorite lunch spot Escalantes yesterday, pretty decent mexican that won't kill you with the grease.

dsoren

Reaction score
Definitely try the daily fish in parchment next time you are there. It's killer. And fish has to be REALLY good for me to even like it at all...

Have not been to Philippe yet, although I hear it's fantastic. He is a great chef.

Another place worth mentioning: Branch Water Tavern. Went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the food is nothing short of spectacular. Really innovative stuff going on there.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to stop by Mortar again. Looks like they are bringing in more great stuff.

dsoren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
I need to stop by Mortar again. Looks like they are bringing in more great stuff.

Yeah - also in line for spring/summer: Rag & Bone, Taylor Supply, Hamilton x MORTAR (lower price point than regular Hamilton 1883), Property Of bags, more Billykirk, new stuff from Raleigh, J.W. Brine, etc.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsoren
Yeah - also in line for spring/summer: Rag & Bone, Taylor Supply, Hamilton x MORTAR (lower price point than regular Hamilton 1883), Property Of bags, more Billykirk, new stuff from Raleigh, J.W. Brine, etc.

Seems like a cool idea. I'd really like to check some Hamilton shirts.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are their (Hamilton) shirts are handsewn?

dsoren

Reaction score
Yeah - handcut and sewn. You should go by the factory/store on Richmond sometime, it's really cool and worth checking out. Nice people there. It's amazing to me how people are so unaware of the brand and it's quality - they do all the MTM shirts for the Barney's flagship in NY.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't comment as to the Hamilton x MORTAR shirts, but Hamilton is my bespoke shirtmaker and I can attest to their world-class quality. It's such a bonus that they are located here.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I can't comment as to the Hamilton x MORTAR shirts, but Hamilton is my bespoke shirtmaker and I can attest to their world-class quality. It's such a bonus that they are located here.

Because if you keep eating out 6 meals a week, you'll want them nearby for adjustments.

just sayin' (holmes)
biggrin.gif

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah - handcut and sewn. You should go by the factory/store on Richmond sometime, it's really cool and worth checking out. Nice people there. It's amazing to me how people are so unaware of the brand and it's quality - they do all the MTM shirts for the Barney's flagship in NY.
They aren't hand sewn.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the Hamilton website:
I've seen the quote and it's just poorly written. The cloth is hand cut, and the shirts are sewn in their workshop, by machine. I have a closet full of their shirts and I can assure you, there is no handwork on them.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Because if you keep eating out 6 meals a week, you'll want them nearby for adjustments.

just sayin' (holmes)
biggrin.gif

LOL, actually, I have a ton of weight to gain back. Severe stress and a battle with the flu last month has me about 7 lbs. shy of my tailored weight. It's nice to be eating again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads