• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's very awesome. A shame I can only like that post once.

It’s a refin but otherwise original. I didn’t actually find out the Badfinger connection until after I bought it, which just made it a million times cooler.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just dropped off these guitars at Broken Guitars in Oakland yesterday to sell for me. They did a special promotion with Reverb selling Billie Joe Armstrong's equipment a while ago and it was a huge hit, so Reverb and asked them to do another with some of their guitars and amps. Mine include a blonde Guild Artist Award 1976, 1956 blonde ES-5 Switchmaster, 1957 Les Paul Special (formerly owned by BJA). Not sure of the exact timing but probably within 2 months.

Artist Award.jpg IMG_1227.jpg IMG_1496.jpg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes the Gibson 24.75" scale means the frets are shorter together (at least compared to the typical fender full scale 25.5") afaik they did offer a couple of full scale options. i've been thinking about an SG again (of all things). very nice specimen refin or no.

coincidentally the reason i post is to note that i've been borrowing a 23.5" scale length acoustic (for sanity's sake) and enjoying the hell out of it. very fun.

i'm going to be in the market for a couple of electrics soon i'm looking forward to the hunt.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes the Gibson 24.75" scale means the frets are shorter together (at least compared to the typical fender full scale 25.5") afaik they did offer a couple of full scale options. i've been thinking about an SG again (of all things). very nice specimen refin or no.

coincidentally the reason i post is to note that i've been borrowing a 23.5" scale length acoustic (for sanity's sake) and enjoying the hell out of it. very fun.

i'm going to be in the market for a couple of electrics soon i'm looking forward to the hunt.

I think some of the Gibson arch top electrics are super short scale. The Byrdland, maybe? Could always do a 3/4 LP Jr, too. Or a Rickenbacker 325!

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome knowledge thx

:cheers:

it's funny - i'd gotten rid of my instruments and was going bananas. my sis-in-law offered to loan this beater and i was like 'wow that's short' and a few weeks later i'm like 'wow this is ******* fun'. finally got around to actually measuring - 23.5 who knew? now to find the right neck. some great recs did not know those models.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just sent a photo of a just about prefect 1957 Les Paul TV Jr that is for sale. But, the owner wants $10K! It doesn't even have the brown hard period-correct case. But it is beautiful, all original, virtually no fret wear. All original solder joints and tuners.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just sent a photo of a just about prefect 1957 Les Paul TV Jr that is for sale. But, the owner wants $10K! It doesn't even have the brown hard period-correct case. But it is beautiful, all original, virtually no fret wear. All original solder joints and tuners.

Don’t you have a TV special already?

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

8518B490-3553-4A61-AF18-FA88F031F5B9.jpeg

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And my band mate just picked up this 54 refin Jr.

822F1F3D-3A6B-46AF-8FC0-7DE6C261B51E.jpeg

Reactions: Gus

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There we go.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, no big surprise but Gibson filed for bankruptcy "protection" yesterday. My take on this is that it is an opportunity to close or sell off most of the electronic business and odd acquisitions that they made over the last 10+ years which were very poor purchases, not very well run and with very limited or no upside. Another example of MBA acquisition fever plus cheap financing (low interest rates) going awry. Wouldn't it be nice if they would get back to focusing 100% on quality guitars?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they ever give up on that bogus, automatic tuner on the back of headstocks? Swore I'd never own a Gibson after seeing that.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they ever give up on that bogus, automatic tuner on the back of headstocks? Swore I'd never own a Gibson after seeing that.

The company that owns the patent on the tuner sued Gibson for $50MM. Then two days later Gibson filed Chapter 11.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads