• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did not see that, but yes, he is impressive. I never looked to his stuff until you brought him up. The majority of my Rush listens were in high school when I was guitar centric.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Check out Digital Man where you'd think he was a rasta-man and then Malignant Narcissist which is an instrumental. Without him signing you might not even think it was Rush.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An interesting thing to note is bands that let the bass carry the melody on a regular basis. Leaving aside Rush, I was just noticing Bush does this as I was picking the tab for a few of their songs.

Though not quite the same, there are a lot of Who songs where Entwistle is doing much of the lead work - or close to it with elaborate fills - while Townsend plays rhythm.

On the other hand, maybe that is the same.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've explored a lot of Entwhistle's stuff. I actually find him overrated. He plays hard and loud, but mostly pentatonics.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apparently he was unhappy with his bass tone on every recording he ever made because it's basically impossible to recreate the wallop of his rig on a record.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently he was unhappy with his bass tone on every recording he ever made because it's basically impossible to recreate the wallop of his rig on a record.

Ive read him saying he usually played quietly in the studio to get a clean, traditional bass sound but he wasn’t crazy about it. Used a Mesa Boogie in studio.

Live - I saw them in Memphis when I was 16 before Keith Moon died - he would have Alembic preamps running into massive Sunn stacks. The Who were incredible live - and loud.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm no expert, no technician, but it's my understanding bass rigs were hard to get solid tone from back in the day. People like Ox, JP Jones, or Chris Squire that made it musical vs. just rhythm were hard to come by.

So, you can't talk about "Lead Bass" unless you drop folks like Billy Sheehan and Les Claypool into the conversation. Les also makes some great wine and I've had the luck of bending an elbow with him.

Also, hard not to mention Cliff Burton, at least for me given my musical tastes.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can sing and play drums or guitar. Singing and playing bass is an altogether different beast. Sting is another master of bass and vocals.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Now toss in keyboards, along with vocals and bass, and you've got Geddy. ;)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
In a RATM style song titled, Ancient Grandma's *******.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just want to say I love my Diamond compressor. The hi-cut jumper is very nice if you're into high gain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads