1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i am under the assumption that you're talking about pre-CBS strats, correct? If you tell me there's a hot underground market for fake USA Deluxe stratocasters, then consider my mind and my hope in humanity to be blown.

3. Sabrosa

Sabrosa Senior member

Picked up a BearFoot Honey Bee Overdrive to try out this weekend.

Also tempted to get a clean or treble boost to play with. I've heard good things about both the Analog Man Beano Boost and Keeley Katana.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  4. sohagubao

sohagubao New Member

great.Martin 000m (really great cheap acoustic, IMO, though I believe it is discontinued,thanks[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Seriously thinking of getting that 40 watt Marshall combo.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

if you can find a JCM2000 DSL401, then you're in serious Marshall territory. Made in England, too much power, runs hot, lack the power break, etc.

But oh boy when you hit that pushed chord.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pre CBS Strats have been faked since the late 80's. Some of those are now 20+ years old with real wear and age.

8. gort

gort Senior member

Been eyeing this one from afar for a little while...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So here's something that might help me and any other less than Fender expert. Outline the eras and origins of Strats and their place in the hierarchies of price and tone/quality. I've seen expressed that 80s MIJ reissues are the closest thing you can get to the late 50/early 60s Strats. And what's up with all these Strats I see for sale that sounds like the guy has cobbled the guitar together from parts?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i probably couldn't do this. I just like the old stuff, but since prices are $$$$$, I stick with the reissues. Haven't bothered with anything but the reissues, so the rest of Fender's line is lost on me.

the custom shop models are actually the closest, but you're looking at $2500 or so just to get in. The American Vintage reissues are also excellent and about half the price of a custom shop. I have a 60's strat in olympic white from the AV series. The Japan guitars are awesome because the reissues are really close to the vintage ones, yet the prices on release were super low yet the quality matched or exceeded the USA reissues. The MIJ prices aren't particularly stable, so you might see one for $1200 and the same one for $300 elsewhere (the tele custom reissue we have was like $300).

there may be the one-off case, but unlikely when you say "all these Strats". My father has built a Strat from parts he had laying around (had to purchase a few others parts to complete). Ended up costing far more to parts source and assemble than to just buy whole. Accurate paint jobs on only the body run $300, and there's only a handful of places in the US that will do this (nitro-cellulose paint is very toxic to apply, so I believe it's illegal to apply in most states unless you meet very strict ventilation standards). You can easily check body stamps when in doubt.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i've owned 2 PRS guitars in the past. they were beautiful, which may be why i got rid of them.

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Piob, if you are near a public library, go check out a book called "Totally Guitar" and give it a read. It has a lot of the technical breakdown that you're looking for on gear and guitars, as well as exercises and practice materials. Got it for a birthday when I was 17, and I've gone back to it repeatedly to get basic rundowns on multiple subjects.

[​IMG]

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Thanks for the suggestion. :fistbump:

In that vein I'm really enjoying that book I linked prior, Blues You Can Use. Has me playing what sounds like real songs already and explaining the pentatonic scale well.

14. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Ok, fish oil capsules work for pinky pain, if anyone was curious.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Orig, what I am curious about is what you're playing on tour. Are you doing covers or original songs or session type guy to support a known band?

16. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

It was hardly a tour. It was a month long show, we played blues covers, things like BB King, John Mayall, SRV, etc. It was with a band (not a well known one) who tours around Scotland and England, and I just came in for the one month Fringe show they were doing. I knew the band from school (actually their original drummer left them to be in my originals band). If a decent video gets released I'll post it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Very cool. Hope to see a video (no Stitch).

18. otc

otc Senior member

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Seriously, have not bumped into one of those in probably 10 years.