1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i've always gone with a clean sound and then used pedals for any distortion (DS2, Big Muff, Keeley modded tube screamer). never really bothered playing the other amp channels or anything.

for me, a wah is a must, and a chorus pedal is also useful. i've never really used delays or flangers or phasers, etc.

2. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

I think phasers, flangers and choruses are all so similar that everybody just needs to choose the one they like best and stick to it. Lately I've been using a CE2 that I really like, but a good flanger is excellent (I have an old 18v DOD that is truly excellent, somehow), and my original script phase 90 is brilliant sounding as well. A wah is great to have, but for me, a delay is an absolute must. I just love being drenched in delay. Analog delays are great for freakouts - I have an old Ibanez AD-80 that I used to use onstage to blow everybody in the audience away with oscillating noise.

Despite owning 5 million pedals of all different types, all I really use is a wah, a drive pedal or two, a chorus, and a delay or two.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used to have a Jekyll and Hyde Dual Distortion pedal that was pretty awesome. One channel had a tube screamer circuit and the other was a more heavy modern distortion. You could also turn them both on simultaneously. I would suggest looking into one of those if you want versatility and good tone.

4. travvvvv

travvvvv Member

Hells yea. Delay & modulated reverb are my jam

They can all sound really different though... a subtle fast flange or phase can kinda sound like a chorus/vibe but not vice versa. A really thick slow phase is something you can't get from other pedals. That's why I have my Small Stone—the M5 has chorus/flange/phase but it's nowhere near as thick and colored as the Small Stone. Love the sound of a slow/thick phaser after a dotted quarter digidelay

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

so it looks like i'll have to pass on that WH10 on ebay. Just under 4 days remaining and it's already near $100 with 35 bids. I expected it to reach $100 in the final minutes as everybody crammed in bids, but apparently not.

6. origenesprit

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it's an awesome pedal, I just have less incentive here since I already have one that is in great working order. I'll pick one up if I see it around for a beater price, they pop up every now and then.

homer video (no pB necessary) but some nice WH10 tones to start:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just had a rare daytime guitar lesson. I am now proud owner of knowledge concerning "the blues note." :nodding:

9. origenesprit

You know how many pedals he has, right?

10. Imyouricecreamman

Imyouricecreamman Senior member

You'll get to the brown note soon enough :D

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yup. granted, he has a lot but tends to stick with only a handful of staples for most of the songs.

the Californication days with just a wah, a distortion or two, a chorus, and amps were pretty sweet.

12. origenesprit

and a microsynth, and a 16 second delay, and a dunlop univibe, etc. :nodding:

I've always really wanted a Boss CE-1...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the gear setup of their current guitarist is really nuts. i don't even bother listening to the new stuff though.

yup, me too. they're much easier to find than a WH10, but they're always in that $400-500 range.

14. origenesprit

I think the new guy's guitar playing is pretty awful, as well. To be honest, I always though Frusciante was overrated but I liked him and his story and his gear anyway.

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i'm a big Frusciante fan, perhaps unnecessarily so. I really like the simplicity of a lot of the stuff he's written and the mesh of influences (Hendrix, James Brown, etc.) that's evident in a lot of his songs. I listen to his live work, mostly.

1 person likes this.
  16. origenesprit

Yeah, his influences are very cool, but I think he's way sloppier than Hendrix ever was, and not nearly as technical. Though I'm not necessarily giving him his due - what's the really fast arpeggiated song? Hey Oh? That's tricky to do for four minutes.

17. patrickBOOTH

I love the theory and structure of his work. I can't get past how douchey Keidis is.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Snow. It's not a terribly hard song to play if you can just get your fingers around the chords and hit the hammers on time. I usually tire out after 30 seconds though :laugh:

Can't Stop is hard, at least it is for me. Sure, you can hit the individual notes no problem, but he actually plays it by hitting all 6 strings at once and muting what he doesn't want to hear. There's, of course, nothing crazy about this technique, but the notes that have to be hit for that particular song are kind of awkward.

19. patrickBOOTH

That song is really awkward. I looked up the tab after you sent me some videos. It is difficult.

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

you and me both. I actually don't know the lyrics to most of their songs, but I know a ton of the guitar work.