1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

have not tried, but that looks interesting. The WH10v2's are pretty good, close in sound and all but i'm sticking with the vintage ones since, in my experience at least, they sound a bit brighter and cleaner than the reissues.

I actually just picked up a reissue off of craigslist for $10, guy said something was wrong with it when he tried it out (he originally wanted $40 for just the wah but offered it for $10 on top of the $40 I was buying a Boss Super Chorus for). Just plugged it in and it sounds great! The only actual problem is it's missing that piece of foam on the underside of the top arm, so it turns on and off far too easily. Since I picked it up for my father, he'll find a fix for it.

and yes, i'm well aware of the cracking issues with the vintage ones:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  2. jays978

jays978 Senior member

Guitars

MIJ '62 Reissue VIntage White w/ Texas Specials
    MIJ '62 Reissue Sunburst w/ DMC
    Martin OMJM
    Taylor GS Mini

Amp

Fender Super Champ XD

3. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

[​IMG]

I just bought a '69 50 watt and even then it needs quite a bit of volume to get the desired Marshall crunch. Sounds great though. With a Guv'nor in front I feel like I'm Gary Moore.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

awesome. The 100W is just way too much power (50 watt might be as well), though at least you can get the 50 watter to break a little earlier.

5. origenesprit

You probably should have waited until after you won it to post it on here :p

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

you can give it a go. i have no idea what prices are like these days, but the 6 or 7 little bids to start suggests a lot of people are looking at it anyways.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

He's a great guy to deal with, I ordered a 50's style harness for my Gibson. Incredible build quality and tone difference.

Pickups: I think the Gibson 57 in the neck and 57+ for the bridge is a great combo, and definitely some of the best pickups Gibson makes (they make a lot of bad ones). I actually like the Burstbucker 1, in the neck and 2 in the bridge. I think the best bang for your buck in terms of pickups are Seymour Duncans. The Alnico II Pro in the neck is just amazing, also the JB, 59, and Pearly Gates are all solid bridge pickups that are incredibly versatile.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Think I would experience a tone difference if I had the wiring harness changed out? I probably won't do anything much to this guitar until around this time next year, as if I'm still as besotted with playing as I am, I plan to buy that Marshall amp and figure my Vox modeller really won't make the most out of any changes in the guitar.

The Vox VT seemed like the sub-$200 solution for me but sort of wishing I'd bought a low watt tube practice amp. I figured the Vox would be a complete solution for several years but now I realize I need tubes + pedals for what I want to achieve.

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

for noobs, the Vox is ideal since it combines many sound options and many effects options in one not-too-big machine. plus, it's reliable, you can use headphones, etc.

but few things can scream like a pushed Marshall.

1 person likes this.
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

If I had held off on purchasing (not a big forte of mine) I might have spent a bit more and gotten something like that HT-5R from Blackstar. It's even got an FX loop.

11. patrickBOOTH

There are several areas where a new harness will improve tone. The first and foremost area is the higher value, better quality pots. Gibson/Epi usually use 250k pots for volume and tone. 500k pots (which is what jonsey recommends and many others, as well as being in higher end historics and such) brighten up the generally dark muddy sound inherent to humbuckers. Essentially what happens is 500k allows more frequencies to pass from the pickup to the amp. The difference can be like somebody pulling a blanket off of the amp.

The next difference between 50's style wiring and modern wiring (what you have in yours) is the dynamics of the volume control. If you turn down your volume knob you will notice that the tone changes, it gets muddy and cuts highs. 50's wiring almost eliminates this so it allows you to roll off the volume to clean up a pushed amp without sacrificing tone loss. If you notice a lot of Gibson players from the past have played vintage guitars are always tweaking their volume on stage (notably Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, and Peter Green) because it allows you to have "gain" at your fingertips without relying on stompboxes.

Finally the capacitors make a huge difference. The capacitors are only going to have an effect if you actually use the tone knobs. Essentially you are sending certain frequencies to ground while letting others pass through. Tone knobs at 100% will not pass any audible tone through the capacitors. Paper-in-oil caps sound more natural and "woody" than ceramic capacitors (what you have). Also when wired 50's style there will be a very, very slight volume drop from when turning down tone. Also, the taper, or sweep of the pots Jonesy uses isn't very linear. In standard pots there is a small amount of sweep space before the volume, or tone just drops off or gets unusable. His pots have a custom taper so across the entire range there are a lot of subtleties and can extract from small movements. Finally, the tone knob with good caps and 50's wiring almost will act as a bit of a "presence" control and can pull your guitar back in the mix.

Having this kind of setup gives you so many different combinations, especially in the middle position with both pickups. I like relying on pickup/knobs rather than endless effects pedals and such for sounds. I personally crank the amp to saturation, and roll back the neck pickup volume to like 7 to clean up the amp and play clean that way only when you hit the strings hard it just starts to get a bit of dirt. For distorted rhythm I use the middle position. I like the quacky tone you get with it, for lead I flip to full on bridge.

Of course the pickup combinations that you have will play a role is how you use the controls and pickup combination. It is all about what feels and sounds right to you and getting the combos that fit for yourself. I think the harness with 50's wiring is a no brainer in any situation personally. Also if you want to get the most out of everything good asymmetrical and scatterwound pickups with this type of harness will get you the best out of your instrument.

Explore some of the other options on controls on a LP in this awesome post:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/48038-how-use-controls-les-paul.html

12. origenesprit

You don't need an FX loop.

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

back when I was an ok musician and played with people, I did this all the time. Have a bit of crunch up top, and then just roll back to volume a tad to make it clean without any noticeable volume loss. If I needed a bit more range up top for a solo to cut through or something, I'd just turn to the wah since the WH10 give you a slight volume boost on top of the tone sweep.

14. patrickBOOTH

A wah to the floor is a great solo boost.

1 person likes this.
  15. origenesprit

This is what I was going to do for my blues show this summer, but because UPS lost my wah pedal and the venue wanted my amp too quiet to break up on its own, I ended up with the guitar pretty flat out and used a tubescreamer. But I agree with you guys, a good fixed wah is a super awesome treble boost.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

also, if one doesn't mind being patient and dealing with the general sketchyness that is craigslist, stomp boxes can be found on the cheap. Anything by Boss will be built like a tank (my DS2 is full of paint chips and dents thanks to my stunning ability to keep dropping it), and I see plenty of stuff in the $30-40 range, including the Super Chorus that I just picked up this weekend.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Great info, guys.

I'd get the wiring work done next week if Jonesy was nearby. I watched his videos on the vintage braided wire and am not sure I'd trust a local luthier to do it.

18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Anyone here play classical guitar? And who's the most skilled guitarist here?

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Why do so many players make such a big deal about this then? I am obviously not challenging you, given Grand Canyon of disparity in experience here, but just wondering why so many other players think getting time based effects on the other side of the preamp is so important.

20. patrickBOOTH

Send your axe to him. He does that all of the time for people.

I used to play a little mediocrely. Based on the amount Origen seems to play out I would guess him being the best, but who knows. I definitely "had it" in high school. Not so much anymore.