• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pistolero

Reaction score

Really jonesing for a mid-fifties les paul custom now... They go for crazy cheap, actually.
This is a 55 Custom...
Oh man, I've been lusting after an alnico LP since discovering this vid: Edit: I'm pretty sure this is either an early 70s reissue of the LP custom or a goldtop with a replacement alnico in the neck. Either way, this guitar sounds incredible (it's panned left in the recording).

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick - I hate myself for passing on a repaired headstock '56 LPC with an asking price of $12k... one of my biggest guitar related regrets (they all seem to center around missing well-priced vintage LPs).

And pistolero, speaking of great looking old guitars that we've seen in music videos -

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Love the Rick Capris, and in black... damn. I know that an old LP is the only guitar I should buy from now on, but if I saw a black refinned Capri, I'm not sure I could say no (thankfully I'll never ever see one).

Last edited:

pistolero

Reaction score
^^ Yeah, that Rick is super cool. Sounds great too - I usually prefer hi-gains to toasters, but this one has that Rick "bite" that I love.

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I never understand the level of immersion that some people engage in when it comes to certain things, guitar hardware is one of them. I love playing guitar more than most things, it's a magnificent refuge from what can sometimes be a rather dull world. Learning what the difference between an Alnico p-90 and a junior humbucker is would seem to me to be overkill in general though. The difference between a humbucker and a single coil is all I keep track of, along with the striking beauty of an es335 or the gritty feeling of a stratocaster. Attacking the strings SRV style or twiddling out beautiful things like Hendrix would've. Outside of that I rely solely on what I hear when sitting down and playing, damned be the hardware.

I respect your knowledge though, and am glad to see some guitarplayers who enjoy dressing well. Rather the contrast to what I usually see people wielding guitars wear.

Last edited:

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thank you!

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Learning what the difference between an Alnico p-90 and a junior humbucker is would seem to me to be overkill in general though.

tone rules all. doesnt matter how well you can play scales if you have a ****** tone. Learning how to get the tone you want is essential in being/becoming a truly good guitar player.

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I know that tone rules all my friend, I've been influenced by tone since before I started playing but I rely on what I hear in the guitar rather than what I know of its parts as I said. I do respect the knowledge you guys have and the fact that it may well have you coming out ahead of me. At the very least you might get there quicker as I'll have to sit down and look for what I want whereas you can just pick, knowing fully what you'll get.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Erm..... riiiighhtt.....

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Enlighten me as to what makes me ridiculous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads