1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Does the body look 50's?

3. GusW

Gibson L-5. This is one of the great all around jazz guitar models made by Gibson. This particular one would have been the last of the archtops to leave the old Gibson Kalamazoo MI plant. It had an orange label but was already begining to reflect changes in the company. The knobs, root beer sunburst and the feel were showing a decline from the golden age of the 50's and early 60's. In the late 70's -early 80's no one collected archtops. The absolute finest vintage Super 400's, L-5's, etc could be had for less than a grand. Then a Japanese collector, Akira Tsumura, began scooping them up dozens at a time. He had several buyers or agents in the US buying vintage archtops for him. His collection soon became large enough that he even published his own book and prices began to climb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. origenesprit

I will continue to want an L5 for a long time but the price and my non-existent jazz chops make it so I may never purchase one. Gorgeous, though I thought you always preferred blondes?

5. GusW

Yep, all of my keepers are blondes. :)

6. GusW

One of the great banjo makers was Vega. In their declining years they also produced a few guitars. Here is the only blond archtop I've ever seen. It had a combination of beautiful wood and inlays but was also missing some of the more deluxe features found on most Gibsons of the era. Locating the tone and volume knobs on the tailpiece was a bit wonky. I sold this baby to a New England blues player who loved it's unusual combination of details and sound. Cool guitar but I've never known anyone to collect Vega guitars.

[​IMG]

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Really enjoying my recent purchase choices tonight. Have the 90s UK post-grunge sound (aka Bush) dialed in on the Vox, iPod plugged into the aux loop, and playing along with songs from the 16 Stone disc. Really nice for me. Also, found the Ibanez semi-acoustic in the closet I posted three years ago:
    Really sounds nice some noodling I'm doing. Also I notice Alex plays a hollow body for Working Man.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Found a gorgeous used Strat tonight at Guitar Center. 2005 USA Deluxe, 60th Anniversary in Blizzard white w/ pearlescent pickguard. In full blown lust mode right now.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

PSG consistently rick-rolls this thread.

10. origenesprit

My uncle's old Vega was my first guitar.

11. GusW

:slayer:

12. GusW

I just put a set of 9's on my Esquire. I've had 10's forever. Wow, I like them. I'm sticking with 9's on it.

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

which Esquire is this?

14. GusW

It is my 1953

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

16. GusW

It is a love but it continues having some neck issues above the 12th fret. I'm not sure if it is easy fix as in a truss rod adjustment or something more. The higher stings buzz more when bent. (not real bad but enough to deaden that nice ringing sound when you hit a great high note). Being 60 years old it probably is time for a fret job and having the pots cleaned or perhaps one of them replaced. I just hate to mess with it because everything is untouched.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

might be something minor, like replacing the nut at the end of the fretboard, but odds are it's a truss rod issue. I don't trust myself with those adjustments.

18. GusW

I would never do it either. But most of all, I'm not sure who in the Bay Area is experienced enough to handle a vintage neck. Anyone have a recommendation?

[​IMG]

19. Sabrosa

Sabrosa Senior member

I've been considering having my '90s Tele Plus refinished in thin nitro. I like the transparent redburst, just not the thick poly finish that's sitting on top.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did your body refinish run? Did you have it done locally?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013