1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

'62 in strat and tele custom.

I think there may be a '52 tele.

2. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Yeah, it was just a list of MIJ strats.

But on the topic of 52 RI Teles, I never understood them. I guess I just I like rosewood boards aesthetically (can't tell the difference in tone or feel to be honest) and the feel of slim necks. The butterscotch/blackguard is kind of bleh to me too.

3. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

I don't imagine I'd want to gig with it, but it would be cool to have for recording and for fun.

4. origenesprit

1963 refin Strat just sold on eBay for £2550 and I didn't bid because I was worried about oversanded contours. Ugh.

5. otc

otc Senior member

Picked up a copy of Rocksmith after it was posted on slickdeals . I intend to use it with the PC version (where you can add custom songs) but I picked up the PS3 version since at $25, it was cheaper than buying just the cable by itself (and I've got a friend with a PS3 so with a second cable we could play together).

I haven't been motivated to pick up my strat lately so hopefully this gets it back in my hands and eases me back into playing.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. otc

otc Senior member

Played some rocksmith for half an hour or so last night. Was pretty entertaining although I was only playing single notes and my picking skills are super rusty. All of my recent playing has been strumming chords on an acoustic (or playing Dispatch's 'The General' which, oddly, I can pretty much still play straight from muscle memory).

At the very least, it got my guitar out of its bag.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  8. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wonder if the bondholders would accept vintage guitars at liquidation?

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

The GC debt was likely a major consideration when Fender dropped their IPO efforts last year.

11. patrickBOOTH

12. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

I really couldnt name one person that i know who shops at GC. I think ive picked up a set of strings or some sticks in a pinch, but its rare. However, they have a damn good inventory...and I know a lot of people will drop in and check out guitars and gear and buy them elsewhere. its a good place to look at stuff to get an idea what you may want, but not a great place to buy IMHO

13. otc

otc Senior member

Haven't actually bought a guitar in a very long time, but I dropped into a guitar center a couple of weeks ago to pick up a last minute harmonica holder.

Relatively small urban location but they still had quite a lot of stuff. Some used things and a bunch of new...much of which seemed to be marked at pretty good prices. I don't know enough about different models to say for sure, but I held a few SGs and les pauls (gibson, not epiphone) at prices that I thought were really low.

14. origenesprit

GC can sometimes be very competitive price-wise for vintage guitars. Do not try to trade though, their trade in value sucks. But I got my '58 Strat from GC.

15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

their prices are pretty well below MSRP for new. But maybe its because of where i live...the smaller locally owned shops are where most people buy new....for me personally, i dont like GC because its too big and always busy.....and the staff is always busy with someone or something else.

very true. The vintage room here is absolutely incredible. And they do allow some wiggle room in the asking price on the vintage ones.
    and yeah...they really thrive on fucking you on trade in.

16. origenesprit

Ok gang, your sleuthing ability is required!

What do we have here?

[​IMG]

I see a Gibson GA-50t, a Vox AC30, what is probably a Supro Thunderbolt (is it?), and then a... Valco? What is that fourth amp? And is it a Supro Thunderbolt or is it something else?

You can all probably guess who this is.

EDIT: ok it's a silvertone, so not a valco... what kind?

EDIT 2: ok, it's a 1432. So... guess it's all figured out then! Assuming the other one is a Thunderbolt.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Not the NYC GC.

18. origenesprit

The other GC's have better deals, yeah. Though I've seen a few good deals in the NYC GC, usually on the middle wall or the one to the right of it.

19. patrickBOOTH

When I was there with Gome they had a 56 LP Custom for $30k. I see them go on ebay for about $11-$13K

20. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

I've bought several guitars from them, both new and used. If you time your purchase well (coupons + when they are really trying to move stuff), you can get a great deal on new gear. I didn't get killer deals on the two used guitars I bought (my CS 60s Strat and my Gibson R7 Goldtop), but since I had the ability to play them extensively before the purchase it was well worth it.

Another thing that a lot of people don't know is that the prices on the high end stuff at Musician's Friend is somewhat negotiable. I actually got what was effectively a 15% discount on my Two Rock Classic Reverb, not something you'd be able to do from most boutique dealers.