1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

If playing clean loud is an issue (over a drummer) then you need watts. A really good idea is an A,B,Y switcher to have a high wattage Fender for cleans and low watt marshall/vox/fargen/dr.Z for dirt.

I personally like a sweet spot where my neck pickup's volume rolled back is clean, but when hit hard just starts to break up. Middle position for rhythm, and full on bridge for lead. Pretty much exactly what Jimmy Page does live.

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i like the simplicity of a strat's pickups, at least in the way that I use them. Neck for a bolder and rounder rhythm, bridge for bright and cut. Volume use for break on both.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've owned several vintage Jr's and TV Jr's. And they are the sound of Rock'n Roll. The last TV Jr I had I sold to Keith Richards when he was in Sausalito recording his Expensive Winos album. He loved it and used it on the Voodoo Lounge Tour.

2 people like this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

Gus, screw you. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. :) :inlove:

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

dear psg - i hate you in the most loveful way.

1 person likes this.
  6. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

good god. thats a damn cool story G.

7. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

I wish i liked strats. :(

1 person likes this.
  8. GusW

Then I suppose you will also love to hear that he invited me to join him back stage for the Stones Voodoo Lounge concert in Oakland. There were about 20 of us in a room converted into a dark Voodoo Lounge with candles everywhere and video moniters. There were two grandmotherly women from the Ritz Carlton serving dinner and wine before the concert, Keith and Ronnie shooting pool, Mick's kids playing video games, Darryl Jones (who had just joined as bass player) sitting next to me on a couch with his wife and newborn baby... No sex, drugs (except great French wine and I was one of the only ones drinking)...it seemed more like a nice suburban family get together.

2 people like this.
  9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i actually prefer the tone of teles, but I find the strat to be far more versatile.

10. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

so sad. but still fucking rad that you were able to speak with keith. very cool stuff.

11. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

youre probably correct.....and i hate to admit this, but ive always avoided the strat because since i was a kid i always saw shitty guitar players playing some knock off pawn shop guitar that looked like a strat.....just dont like em strictly on appearance. Now teles are another story. LOVE teles.

12. GusW

I'm a minimalist. I LOVE Esquires....

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i know that image, but I see it more as some 80's ibanez knockoff with neon on it.

we've seen :plain:

I feel like I could totally love the equire as the bridge pickup is all I use on my tele.

14. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

never owned one. Strange because its pretty much all i need.

15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

im led to believe i need to ask for pics....please share.

oh god hahahahahaha. I remember a guitar player in a band i played drums in had a neon green ibanez that was spray painted black, but the neon was showing through the scratches. for special songs, he'd take out his headless Steinberger. that dude loved to shred.

I remember during recording once, one of the engineers had just bought a new guitar and was bragging about how awesome it was...kept telling me i should use his instead of my SG. I can only imagine the look on my face when he brought out his BC Rich Warlock. Im sure those guitars have their place in metal, but wow that thing was fucking impossible to get a normal sound out of.

16. GusW

There are a lot of guys who feel the same way. Some feel that the tone bypass position on an Esquire gives it an extra hot snarl verses a Tele where the signal always goes through the tone wiring. There are also those who think that the absence of a rythmn pickup magnet gives the strings extra "ring".

17. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

hmmm....quite appealing. I need to get my paws on one sometime.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

PSG, awesome stories. :worship:

Okay, final question and then I shut up about buying until I do it or squash it: the two epiphones I'm looking at, I understand the GX is a more "normal" Gibson sound and the EX is more metal. As I said, I plan to mainly doodle around with grunge, post-grunge, and metal sounds. However, can I get the GX close enough to what I want with the modeling amp? If I get the EX will I wish I got something not so specifically set up for metal?

I also happen to like the sunburst colour only available in the GX more than either of the two colours available in the EX.

19. patrickBOOTH

This thread should be the second titled, "hold pio's hand".

2 people like this.
  20. GusW

If you do decide to ever buy a true vintage one a few suggestions:

Esquires are the "Erector Set" of guitars.There is something about them that makes people want to tinker with them. Be sure you get a "virgin". Open up the cavity and be sure all wiring and caps are 100% and that no one ever installed screws in the wood for a tele rhythm pickup. They end up lowering the resale value.