1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I'm going emo.

Okay, how about this version of the Prophecy? http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIENCH

Here's the EX on a demo:

Oh, keep in mind, I'm mainly interested in covering grunge, post-grunge, and some heavy metal stuff.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. gomestar

yes. Just keep in mind that in the early 90's a lot of that stuff was just a cranked tube amp and maybe some stronger pickups. No fancy wiring or anything.

Fancy electronics is too anti-grunge.

4. gomestar

also, I feel like that when I picked up a Fender American Vintage '60's strat it was like $1400. I'm seeing $2300 now. Not sure if the prices went way up or if I have a poor memory.

in any event, my Custom Shop stuff is a superior product. My actual vintage stuff is in another league.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

See, this is why I just can't pull the trigger on anything.

6. gomestar

fwiw, going forward I will no longer bother with brand new guitars.

7. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

I only buy new as a matter of convenience (impatient finding exactly what I want). My 2 fav custom shop guitars were both pre-owned.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

In my opinion both fender and gibson should only do custom shop instruments has their "Standard". The difference between custom shop and their base line has been widening and it is getting to a point where a standard instrument's fit, finish, playability, and historical accuracy aren't there anymore.

Next on my list is probably a late fifties Les Paul Junior Custom model. I have never owned a vintage instrument and it would be cool to have that as a first.

9. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

buy it, but youll want to upgrade to all tube soon.

hmm. I guess ive never had issues because the only fenders i own are old. Ive played a few new ones that werent mine, or picked around on one at a shop...never noticed a problem.

I like that...but maybe because im in nashville and used instruments are plentiful and cheap....thats a little expensive. Id poke around craigslist and see if they have anything. Epiphones here go for half that. Even the nicest ones top out used around 400ish.

this is smart. and expensive. haha

The LP juniors are amazing...probably the LP that i would choose as well.:nodding:

10. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

I dont think ive ever bought a new guitar. :embar: As a matter of fact, the only instrument i can recall that i bought new was a set of drums many years ago.

11. patrickBOOTH

Pio, the valvetronix or whatever is only a pre-amp tube circuit. In other words, practically meaningless for natural output tube saturation.

12. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

true...its pointless but allows them to use the term "Tube"

13. gomestar

yeah, I love the old juniors. Looked at one a number of years ago, but passed. I don't know why.

I do find that the tube pre-amp overall sounds a bit better than all electronic pre amps, so I don't necessarily see it as meaningless. Of course it's not overall as great sounding as all tube, but it's a fraction of the price.

14. guitarpkr76

guitarpkr76 Well-Known Member

The Vox Valvetronix series actually use a 12ax7 in the power amp not the preamp. Which is backwards from most "hybrid" amps.

15. patrickBOOTH

That's strange. I would think they would just put the 12ax7 in the pre as well. Cheaper than power tubes and pre amp tubes. The new anniversary marshall 1 watters is using pre-amp tubes as power amp tubes as well. It makes sense for lower wattage, but the sound you get out of driving pre amp tubes vs. power amp tubes is completely different.

16. gomestar

i imagine this amp would be a whole lot of fun

17. patrickBOOTH

They are doing one for every generation of amps they built. The sound great based on youtube clips.

18. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

speaking of amps...any of you have some experience with Dr. Z? Id love to pick up the 8 watt mini Z for my apartment.

19. patrickBOOTH

Dr. Z is nice. I am dead set on getting a Fargen Mini-Plex MKII

20. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

those look damn nice. checking out some youtube videos of them now....