• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but I am a huge fan. I've played guitar since I was 7 but with professional life, family and all, it has really become a second tier priority. JM's live music and Try! album really reignited my interest in guitar, since the only formal teaching I have is blues based and I also used to play a lot of Hendrix. The guy is a tone master and I've tried to replicate his rig as best I can, the Classic Reverb is sort of the missing link at this point, and it seems like such a wonderful amp on top of just trying to replicate JM tones. Oh and no doubt, he's tall (has huge hands) and certainly likes his booze! I so want to just get the amp but it will cost me $10k becuase my wife is not oblivious to what these things cost and will certainly expect some kind of equivalent toy for herself! LOL I thought about just getting it and putting the Fender logo on the grill cloth and hope she doesn't notice. She hasn't set foot in my office in months so it might at least buy me some time.

Well good luck, I am sure you'll nail the tone, if you wife doesn't kill you first! I like his playing, interesting chords blended with easy accessability. When he was spotted at the bar my friend jokingly said, "He's just a bro who knows jazz chords." I lol'd.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man you guys are the worst influence. I've spent my day scouring the internet trying to find a Classic Reverb for sale.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a neat freak, and so is most of my family. But when it came to the music studio, we always found that messy is better - when **** is all over, it's harder to notice new things. A bunch of little amps here, a half-stack or two there, cords galore, and guitars all over ... a new amp or new guitar just wouldn't be noticed by the XX people in the house. "is that new?" "nah, it's always been here, though it was stuck over in the other corner"

Also my father, who became a bit of a savant at this, found the advantages of having two or so empty cases laying around. "Jesus, look at all of this, how many guitars do you have??" "oh, it's mostly just empty cases that came with the guitars" and then he'd open up one or two to reveal nothing inside ... and then turn up one of the amps so further inquiry would be forfeitted by the desire to GTFO of the loud room.

Last edited:

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a bit of a neat freak, and so is most of my family. But when it came to the music studio, we always found that messy is better - when **** is all over, it's harder to notice new things. A bunch of little amps here, a half-stack or two there, cords galore, and guitars all over ... a new amp or new guitar just wouldn't be noticed by the XX people in the house. "is that new?" "nah, it's always been here, though it was stuck over in the other corner"
Also my father, who became a bit of a savant at this, found the advantages of having two or so empty cases laying around. "Jesus, look at all of this, how many guitars do you have??" "oh, it's mostly just empty cases that came with the guitars" and then he'd open up one or two to reveal nothing inside ... and then turn up one of the amps so further inquiry would be forfeitted by the desire to GTFO of the loud room.

Haha, good call. Unfortunately my current practice space is just on one side of my office, so I've gotta keep it pretty neat. There's probably no way she's not going to notice the addition of a Two Rock head sitting on top of a 2x12 Two Rock cabinet. LOL

5657489799_eb216bf782_z.jpg

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great, thanks for the info, that will probably save me some severe disappointment. What cabinet and speakers did you get?

I just bought a cab on ebay with some EVM's in it, but I'm going to buy a new cab for it next summer. Mayer used the Two Rock signature cabs for awhile, then switched to custom Allesandro cabs in black poplar, which are expensive but not insanely so. He has different celestion speakers in them, I think alnico golds, centuries, and one other type, but golds are probably close enough.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info. Guess we will see how the signature cab works out for a while. Can't wait till this thing gets here. They didn't ship Friday as expected so will be a couple more days. :(

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any advice for setting up a home recording studio? A budget one. What's worth spending good money on and what can I save on for the time being?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
it's it's just some basic stuff you want to record then you don't need fancy stuff, at least in my experience. The drive to get great recorded sound is expensive and time consuming (you have to learn a lot of things about getting great sound from each instrument and mic, etc.), so it's best to start with something small and work up from there. I find an interface with a computer is easiest, like a Steinberg Ci2, and then add some mics like an SM57 or a MXL V63M. Forget about monitors until later.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it's it's just some basic stuff you want to record then you don't need fancy stuff, at least in my experience. The drive to get great recorded sound is expensive and time consuming (you have to learn a lot of things about getting great sound from each instrument and mic, etc.), so it's best to start with something small and work up from there. I find an interface with a computer is easiest, like a Steinberg Ci2, and then add some mics like an SM57 or a MXL V63M. Forget about monitors until later.

Yeah, we've got monitors, we'll have a tower Mac with Logic 9 in a week or so, we've got an Allen and Heath mixing desk, and are about to start buying mikes as well. Definitely SM57s for elec. guitars, bass, and snares and toms. This is a bit more than just basic stuff, we're looking to record stuff for our band (an EP will be the first thing) that sounds pretty semi pro, but lets us learn how to really use Logic and how to work with mic placement and sounds. We've been to a studio before but we're constantly changing our minds about things which is why we wanted the ability to have more than, say, a day in the studio.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads