1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. tropics

tropics Senior member

if so i'll take 3

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

I have an original Pi Big Muff pedal laying about. I don't know anything about its working condition - it worked a few years ago - and I haven't used it since. I have no idea what its worth, but its just collecting dust right now so one of you could probably get some use out of it. Does anyone want it? I think I posted this in this thread a year ago or so, but I cleaned my PM box and I forget who wanted it. I don't know what a fair price would be, so feel free to offer.

3. dopeitsjosh

dopeitsjosh Well-Known Member

Yea my girlfriend has an acoustic which I plan on using to learn on

Thanks a lot!

4. bamahabir

bamahabir Active Member

I started with a cheapo knock off strat from fender of all things, and got a used amp on the ebay. I wouldn't recommend that route, go to a nearby guitar store and test out all the stuff and see what you like.

Justin Guitar is AWESOME!!!!

5. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

this has me VERY tempted.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

I already have a few PMs about it so note your interest if you want - I'm taking some pictures of it tonight and will provide any information I can tomorrow.

It was sold to me as "original." Whether that means its actually original or not, I have no idea - it could be a re-issue, but I have no way of verifying that. I figure there should be enough people ITT who are knowledgeable about such things. Again, as far as the working condition goes, I'm not sure - I don't have an electric or an amp anymore so I have no way of checking. It did work several years ago though, and hasn't sustained any physical damage since then - just collecting dust. Just want people to know so they don't think I'm misrepresenting myself or shilling damaged goods.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  7. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

If it is actually an oldie, you're gonna have to fight me to it :)

8. origenesprit

My advice for learning is to learn some standard chord shapes (A, G, D, C, E, Am, Em - you can find plenty of youtube videos showing you how to make the shapes) and then get comfortable switching between them quickly. The best way to do that is to find easy songs that feature these chords, and the truth is that most rock and pop music only really use these chords, so go on ultimateguitar.com and look up the chords for a song you like that isn't steve vai or something really complicated sounding and play along until you can strum with the song. Then learn a few more songs. The trickiest bit is switching between chords, but just keep at it until you're comfortable. Then move onto barre chords.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

I did a little digging around online and it looks to be an original - although I had no idea that there were so many versions of the Big Muff. Apologies for the poor photography:

[​IMG]

Based on http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_op_amp_history.html#Version4, I'm pretty sure I have a V4 or V5 original with post-1978 pots, if that means anything to anyone. I can take a few more shots of the unit if anyone wants.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just bought a guitar. 2002 Gibson Les Paul Custom 1968 Reissue.

11. origenesprit

Did you trade in your Standard for it?

I also bought a guitar, but will wait for my luthier to look at it before bringing it up so as not to jinx it before I know all is well.

In addition, I finally managed to get rid of my 2001 LP Standard in a trade for a '78 Blonde Strat.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  12. patrickBOOTH

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

14. patrickBOOTH

It's a custom, so it has an ebony fretboard. It is also unchambered and not weight relieved like all Gibsons after about 1976. Has a long neck tenon as well.

15. origenesprit

Are you planning on swapping out the pickups with those custom ones you ordered?

16. patrickBOOTH

Yep. Changing the bridge, tailpiece, bridge studs, and tailpiece studs too. That stuff stock is pretty awful.

17. origenesprit

So, I just bought a 1958 Strat and I'm deciding if I should keep it or not. Plenty of issues (good black nitro refin, swapped tuners, refret, swapped pickups, so price was insanely low), all of which are fine, except for one issue I didn't know about when buying - the truss rod is loose. Neck is perfectly straight, and since it is so old the likelihood of a backbow is quite low, but you never know, so it is a gamble.

Advice?

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i have no advice. But 1: pics. And 2: if you decide to sell (or trade), shoot me a quick note. My father likes tinkering around with these things.

19. origenesprit

Gome, if I get rid of it it will be going straight back to Guitar Center (but if you want I'm happy to tell you which so you can get it from them), I'm just deciding whether to keep it or not.

Crappy pic:

[​IMG]

20. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

That's a beaut, but truss rod issues are always somewhat frightening. Not a lot you can do if something goes wrong.