1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

2. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

kopped a 'Jaguarillo' at a local spot for a nice price - it's basically a short scale HSS strat, crappy modern strat pups plus a surprisingly musical 'atomic' hb at bridge. neck has a nice carve to it, not too flat, very comfy.

it's in the shop getting setup for 12s (round), avri 65 pups (neck n middle, keeping the stock hb), and disconnect tone pot. hope to test flight this week should be fun.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Thinking of grabbing a Boss Katana 50.

4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Distinguished Member

Great amp.

5. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Those are great amps.

Personally I think I'd go for the 100 head as I think it has presence and resonance controls and perhaps some more output options that the 50 doesn't have.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I'd be running that amp on the .5 watt setting so the 100 would be so many levels of overkill. There's apparently a couple dozen "hidden amps" you can d/l and load into the software too. Watching the reviews on Youtube and they really seem like something cool.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Get the Katana Air instead then

8. TrafficWarden

TrafficWarden New Member

[​IMG]
    Always wanted a Rick. Couldn't help myself with the all-black.

9. BergiChris

BergiChris New Member

Looks really nice. How much is it?

10. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

While I'm not quite ready to buy more guitars until after I move, I have been watching a variety of brands and models of vintage guitars and it seems that asking prices have been steadily climbing for both guitars and amps over the last six months. As cool as they are it is hard to believe guys are getting their asking prices of $3k- $4K for Princeton Reverbs or $12K- $13K for Les Paul TV Jr's (with minor issues). Is there a growing gap between asking and actual selling prices now?

11. Gus

There is a dealer near me that specializes in acoustic guitars, especially by boutique makers. He has two Klein acoustics. It was my first time ever playing one. Wow! The look and feel is like no other acoustic guitar. They resonate like a piano. The necks are slim, low action, effortless to play. Every note rings and rings. Yes the bodies are huge but what a sound.

Klein+shoulder.jpg

KleinKauffman+shoulder.jpg

12. sugarbutch

How much do those go for?

I have been intrigued by the Klein electric since seeing David Torn play one.

13. Gus

The acoustics that I saw go for $11,000-$15,000. Also, Klein was the original designer and made the first few, but he then met luthier Steve Kaufmann in 1978 and it is Steve who actually builds them per Klein's designs. The solid body electrics are remarkable and very comfortable to play.

stbklein.jpg

14. Gus

@sugarbutch if you ever find yourself over in Lafayette, check out the acoustic guitars at Mighty Fine Guitars. He has some real beauties including one Klein. One of them, a cutaway acoustic was recently sold.

15. sugarbutch

Cool, will do.