Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Unless you are playing arena rock power chords, I think you loose the sparkle and "cut" of a Start when a HB is added. Why not start with a stock rig and enjoy all of those Jimi and SRV, sounds?

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

^as long as you have a 5-way switch that splits or runs the bridge pick up in parallel for a couple of settings, a bridge humbucker is fine and to be honest preferable, given the extra versatility it allows for, IMO.

Remember Jimi's was upside down anyway so it's not like his bridge pickup sound was super spanky to begin with.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

That's exactly the reason why I was thinking an HB. I really don't play my LP at all anymore as that Tele neck is just so sweet in my hand. It's either mod the Tele (maybe Hot Rails or something?) or get another guitar with an HB. It's going to be a Fender as I just love the neck.

4. double00

double00 Senior member

do you have a preferred pup? that might be a place to start.

just to spitball a little, i think i remember a 4-way selector on a tele where one of the clicks gives you both pups in-series (instead of the usual in-parallel) when it's all wired up. that is basically a displaced hb. keep in mind however that the tone is completely circumstantial and you may love it or you may prefer another pup altogether.

5. GusW

Have you tried any of the Fenders with TV Jones pickups? They have a number of them at various prices. Even the Custom Shop ones can be had for a deal if you are patient and wait for guys to resell. A TV Jones filtertron style pickup isn't a HB, but it is a a very nice tone.

6. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

I love humbuckers the best, but I do play a lot of arena rock power chords. Just picked this Ibanez up in Brooklyn...

6E934C00-EE36-4F35-A76D-0009EA5CAA2D.jpeg

7. GusW

Is it one of the early 70's versions? Rock'n Roll Sr?

8. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

It’s a ‘75 Rocket Roll that someone modded to be more like a Gibson. Klusons, the Gibson logo put on, Gibson buckers (a patent and a Tarback). The price was pretty good and it’s a good, easy player, perfect for a new band I’m starting.