1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would say that's good, no need to change. I am just curious why it needs a capacitor if it is only a volume knob. Curious.

2. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Recently had my old, battered AC30 repaired (the bright channel never worked, and now the normal channel decided not to work either) by Flynn Amps in Scotland. I was very impressed with their work, so I decided to try the boost pedal that they make, which is an exact replica of Rory Gallagher's HAWK booster. I haven't had a chance to really run it through its paces, but holy crap, so far I love this pedal. The only problem is that it is so gigantic and the included power supply has a straight instead of a right angle plug so fitting it on my pedalboard is going to be a nightmare. Might have to run it on batteries, but that gets pretty damn expensive.

Anyway, thumbs up for the pedal. I'm not a Rory Gallagher fan per se (I'm sure he's great, just never listened to him), but the pedal stands on its own. Really nice builders, too.

3. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

Any tips on the best place to sell a guitar? I've got a Hamer Newport Pro that's just sitting around collecting dust, and I'm trying to avoid getting fleeced at the local Guitar Center...

4. Philip

Philip Senior member

I was wondering what are some really good 15 watt small tube combos or stacks? Like a NOS tweed blues jr, orange tiny terror etc.

5. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Do you want another guitar? Try to trade it in at a shop (not guitar center), and you can usually strike a good deal if it is a good shop.

I once tried to trade my Gibson 335 into guitar center and they offered me, after 30 minutes of negotiating, $1300 trade in value. I went to 30th Street guitars next, and without any bartering at all, they offered me $1900 trade in value.

Or, eBay? Craigslist? TheGearPage?

6. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

Not really looking for another guitar, but that might be worth looking into. TheGearPage looks perfect though, thank you. Might try posting it up here too.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Craigs List can be very good. Take good clear pics and give plenty of details.

8. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Try a fender champ or Princeton reverb

9. patrickBOOTH

I would add the Vox mini Nighttrain.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

anyone buying themselves cool guitars or amps for Christmas???

11. Philip

Philip Senior member

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I was also thinking about a Marshall Class5, what do you guys think of the amp?

12. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

what kind of straps do you guys like? I've got two relatively cheap sueded leather ones that I like quite a lot, one is a thick wide maple colored thing you'd typically find in any guitar shop, the other is a thinner red suede that I love. both were like 40 or 50 maybe less. I dunno I'm asking because my friend is trying to buy her boyfriend a really nice strap for his brithday and shes' showing me this strap for like 120 that I htink is pretty ugo. I feel like there are probably leather dudes on this forum that would make nice stuff. any input ideas?

13. Philip

Philip Senior member

personally anything over 120 sounds like a waste on a strap, unless the bf gigs and likes to move like Townshend I don't see any reason to spend more than 50. I'd rather get a pedal if I knew my gf was spending $120

14. patrickBOOTH

Marshall Class 5 is great, if you want to go for that low of wattage also put the Vox AC4TV to the mix. In my opinion I always have issues getting Marshalls to sound anything different than a typical Marshall. It is hard to describe, but I feel they are voiced in a certain way that limits them a bit. I feel like there are other more versatile options, such as a Champ, AC4TV, Nighttrain. It all depends on what you are trying to do with it. I haven't played the Class 5, but it is apparently a lower wattage version of the "Bluesbreaker", which is essentially the Fender Bassman. In that respect it might be a totally different kind of Marshall. Any which way you go with any of these you can't really go wrong.

15. patrickBOOTH

I have been wanting to pick up the Vox python strap for a while. The one made famous by The Beatles in the 60's. I'd pay top dollar for an original.