Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Yeah, I get it. I have read this over the years on The Gear Page, and I don't have any reason to believe that it's not true. I just personally wouldn't be confined to such an approach, because whether a guitar is great is mostly a subjective determination that you can only make once it's in your hands. Looks are important to me, but it's only part of the equation. When I was on a quest for a Historic, I played countless guitars over a several month period both locally and whenever I was on the road. I played some great looking ones that I didn't want to pay up for, and some great players that I just didn't like the finishes, and then also a ton of dogs. I did find a few viable candidates locally but I really didn't want to buy new.

Your quest will also be more difficult because you are only considering new guitars? Unless you only play in your bedroom, guitars aren't going to stay perfect and in my view it's not worth it to pay a premium for a near perfect guitar just to have it dinged and scratched over time. I'm very careful with my guitars, but you put 4 people in close quarters and it's just going to happen, there's no way around it.

And then I got kind of obsessed with gold tops which frankly makes it a lot easier because you can't nit-pick the finish to death. :) I had narrowed it down to 2 choices and then a local shop took in a 2003 R7 on a trade that I played and knew instantly this is the one.

My point is I wouldn't rule out finding a great guitar locally, especially if you're willing to consider pre-owned instruments.

I've done this a few times and coincidentally (or not), I ended up bonding a lot more with the used ones I bought because of how they played and felt in my hands than the new ones I bought because they were aesthetically the best candidates. But there's certainly no losers in the group.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i'm as big of a stickler to "never buy new" as anybody, much like most of the people in this thread, but to Foof's defense the Gibson CS did a bunch of revisions to the historics starting in 2013, revisions that made them more time period correct. the changes seem very well received to boot, so he's trying to get in on the updates.

3. TC (Houston)

Ah, well that does make some sense. Admittedly I haven't followed the market in a few years.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

^Very true about the new historics being great. If "historically accurate" isn't a concern I'd still only opt for custom shop Gibsons. They are truly great guitars. On your light ass Les Paul... Mine weighs 12 pounds. :nodding:

5. TC (Houston)

LOL, I've actually never weighed mine, but I've worn it for 2-3 hours at a time and it has never bothered me at all.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

+1. I'm relying on Foo to teach the latest and greatest.

7. patrickBOOTH

Weight has never bothered me. I prefer it actually. Fenders feel like toys to me. Some schools of thought say lighter=more sustain and some the opposite. I think there are a lot of factors that influence it including construction, and hardware.

8. TC (Houston)

Same here. One thing we know from past experience is that the man certainly does his homework! I suppose I'm somewhat liberated by my ignorance--I just want a great playing and looking guitars. :)

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

They are pretty good--but Long Island might as well be Wisconsin for me.

It's not just the look of the tops--the favored vendors also seem to get better-sounding stuff. At the very least, they are able to tell you more about how each individual guitar compares in terms of playability, tone, etc. Small boutiques might do the same but will not have the breadth or depth of selection.

As for pre-owned--well, as Gomer points out below, in this case newer is definitely better.

Yep. From what I'm reading, the 2013s and 2014s generally sound better, too. Quarter-sawn necks, aniline dye for the bodies and necks, hide glue for the neck join and fretboard, and new more true-to-vintage-PAF pickups all conspire to make for a meaningful improvement versus prior years.

Yeah, this is my undestanding too. The stuff that makes the newer ones more historically accurate also makes them sound better.

10. patrickBOOTH

I don't know why, but as I got older I have fallen out of love with flametops. While they are beautiful in their own right I find them to be slightly gaudy looking in a live context. I actually traded my flametop for a black custom.

11. TC (Houston)

Got it. I hope you find a good one sooner rather than later, you are far more patient than I. Good luck! :)

12. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

What if the flametops are supposed to have better tone? Not because of the flames, but because the finish is thinner (less paint).

13. patrickBOOTH

Even if that is true, I would imagine it is imperceptible.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the weight of my toy

[​IMG]

15. patrickBOOTH

My hair weighs more than that.