Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

It looks beautiful, Foo.

But coming from a playing perspective, I'd be hard pressed to cough up for a guitar I'd never personally touched. Take that for what you will. It will probably limit my purchasing possibilities, but if I don't personally "jive" w/ a guitar then I really don't want to buy it.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Of course--all these vendors give you a 24-48 hour trial period.

3. El Argentino

Well, then it seems you don't have a lot to lose with it. Especially if you're jiving on it.

4. mafoofan

Well, I have to pay shipping back and forth. Adds up.

5. El Argentino

Ah - didn't know it wasn't a local guy.

Shipping costs return me to my initial point. Test play not worth $50+

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

So this FoFiX....there's spots to d/l these songs with the guitar removed?

Edit: Also just got spousal approval for a Fargen or amp of my choice in 2015. :slayer:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Foo, the weight being 8.4 lb, is amazing! I will be very interested to hear how you like the sound and resonance of the body. Many guys will tell you a great solid body sounds great unplugged and only better amped.

One of the main reasons Les Pauls were cheap in the late 60's and even early 80's was that so many guys thought they were way too heavy. They complained about having a sore shoulder after a long gig. That is why guys like Mike Bloomfield were able to buy them for $400. Of course after he started playing them a lot of blues/rock players started to say "Hey, where did he get that great tone?" And the Les Paul came back into some popularity. But even in the late 80's guys were buying real '59's for well under $10K with the most choice tops going for $35K. (i.e the "Brock burst" that appeared on the cover of American Guitars)

8. Piobaire

Les Paul heavy? This little pixie dances around all night with one. :)

[​IMG]

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

sweet scarf. sweet floyd rose trem.

10. mafoofan

Tone King!

11. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Are there really no places in the greater NYC area where you can go try out a bunch of historics? I would think that there would have to be several shops that have a decent selection given the size of that market. I think for a sight unseen (unplayed) purchase, the probability of winding up with something really special is very low. I think you'd be better off buying a plane ticket and visiting the store with the largest selection. I haven't had the hankering for an R9 or R0 in years but your pics have got me thinking about them again. Good luck.

12. mafoofan

It's the truth. As it turns out, there are a handful of "best" Gibson Custom vendors--and they are spread out all over the country. They get more and better guitars from Gibson. So, yes, I could go to Sam Ash, or Guitar Center, or any number of boutique vendors in the city, but they will not have the same quality inventory as Wildwood, Dave's, or House of Guitars.

Gibson Custom guitars vary quite a bit in quality. The vendors with the best relationships with the best reps at Gibson are able to specify what they want (evenly flamed tops, light weights, quarter-sawn backs, underwound pickups, etc.) and get first pick when Gibson shows new guitars. They actually pick out the blanks for the maple tops before they are made into guitars. If you are a mildly persuasive customer, you can get them to send you the photos of the blanks and pick for yourself. Guitar Center isn't doing any of that.

So, in fact, you are a lot better off picking the vendor before picking the guitar. They all give you time to test out what they sell. Wildwood even demos individual guitars on their website so you can hear the ones you're interested in.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

NYC is not where guitar shopping nirvana is.

14. Piobaire

I for sure want to go half stack so I can play the Gomey game of buying random heads.

15. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Is The Music Zoo not a pretty damn good dealer for Historics? That's pretty close. I mean, it's not Wildwood, but it always seemed like a pretty good place.

P.S. I just bought a knockoff Marshall cab. I will finally be able to use my amp heads again!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014