• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just spent 90 minutes having a blast in my little studio. Import song into Reaper (tonight's effort is Machinehead by Bush). Amp is mic'ed into my AI, add another track into Reaper to record the mic, play along. Playback to listen, adjust my track so I can hear myself well. If I had thought it was good enough one click to render and then I could have uploaded that into soundcloud.

The bedroom musician has it so good today.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's Reaper? Must have missed that earlier.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A full fledged DAW that's only $60 vs. the several hundred of Pro Tools, Ableton, etc.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright guys, need guidance. May pull the trigger on this one today:

prospectivefoopaul_01_zpse0c38d14.jpg

prospectivefoopaul_02_zps717ec34b.jpg

8.4 pounds. Desribed by well-reputed dealer to be very resonant. Very clear note definition with a tight bottom end. On the brighter side, with good attack, but not harsh.

It is a brand new guitar (2014 build), but the dealer is unauthorized. Hence, no factory warranty from Gibson. The dealer is very well respected, from what I can tell, though. Has a reputation for pulling in very strong inventory (great looking tops combined with first tier playability and sound).

Thoughts? Nitpicks of my own: the top appears to be flitch-matched, not book-matched. Right, wrong?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

both guitar parts?

Opening riff (that octave thing), the heavy rhythym. Big Muff + chorus ftw.

Foo, I think a purchase for you without full warranty is a mistake.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i like warranties on amps and pedals. guitars, I've never seen the need.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that regard, is there a good source for finding backing tracks (drum bass) for existing songs you want to record yourself. I used to be able to find them like 15 years ago in MIDI and record my own covers of all my favorite songs. :D

I don't mean generic drum tracks I mean like, say you want to record YYZ by Rush and want the drums and bass to record yourself playing guitar over.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

i like warranties on amps and pedals. guitars, I've never seen the need.

Foo has already returned one guitar. No hate on him but he needs a warranty on anything he buys.

On that regard, is there a good source for finding backing tracks (drum bass) for existing songs you want to record yourself. I used to be able to find them like 15 years ago in MIDI and record my own covers of all my favorite songs. :D

I don't mean generic drum tracks I mean like, say you want to record YYZ by Rush and want the drums and bass to record yourself playing guitar over.

I hear there are many free sources but I've never gone looking. Let us know if you find a resource.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gibson Les PAul Studios for $599 (black with gold hardware and blue with chrome only)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-...CJSID=3NgWjLs-EeOSpJZoQkmVTw95L_EDK04_4iS_0_0

Look to the communities that have tracks for FoFiX (or Frets on Fire) which is the free PC clone of rock band/guitar hero. All of the tracks that came with RB/GH are out there as well as a ton of community produced tracks. Most of these will have either fully separated parts, or separate guitar and backing instrument parts.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Gibson Les PAul Studios for $599 (black with gold hardware and blue with chrome only)

i'm kind of out of the loop on these prices, but that strikes me as really cheap

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm kind of out of the loop on these prices, but that strikes me as really cheap

yep.
interesting comment from slickdeals. guys there are buying 6 at a time to flip.

"In for a Pelham. That price is lower than cost. Not by a lot, but anything under cost is a SD.

Ex-GC employee here.

A couple of things for you guys' amusement:

1. GC online "stock" takes into consideration stock at their b&m stores. It's quite a terrible system as often times the site is selling items sight unseen and combined with GC's "lean stock" approach, it's very very likely it's a floor model that 50 wanking 14yr olds have played on by the time it sells online.

Trust me. Nothing would feel dirtier than polishing the heck out of a guitar, pretending it was "new" (which it clearly wasn't) and shipping it to an unknown customer who hopefully is none the wiser. Or blind. Or doesn't pay attention to buckle rashes.

2. GC stocking and organization is highly disorganized. It's not uncommon that you don't get the original box, or you're missing case "candy", or your serial number paperwork is missing or is for a different guitar than what you purchased. Just a warning. Hope for the best.

3. The GC pricing engine is engineered to think "Out of 300 stores, 3 of them show that this item has been sitting in the store for a very long time. We need to make room for the new model or other items that don't sit for so long and sell faster, so this will light a fire in the store's @$$ and they'll HAVE to find it when we send them the directive that we've sold it for them online. Worst case scenario if it's been lost, stolen or mutilated, at least the store manager now knows and will sell it cheap to get rid of it if they tell us they can't fulfill the online order request"

So. I bought one as a crazy long shot and hope to gift it but I'm certainly not expecting this to work out."

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
that's the other thing about buying "new" guitars - most of the time they've been noodled on anyways.

oh, and yeah, GC sucks, but i think we all know that. Still, i like to browse their used inventory for the occasional find.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, it made the front page of slickdeals which tends to suggest it was good (although they are clearly selling off less popular colors)...I think they said the next best price at a reputable merchant was 1199 (some sites seem to have price matched, but they may just be the ones like musicians friend that are owned by GC)

usually the only instruments that make it on the front page are bottom of the barrel stuff (they had the epiphone special II GT for $99 a couple days ago) since even a pretty good deal on a fancy instrument is still pretty expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads